Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on renting commercial unit

Options
  • 10-04-2013 5:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Just wondering does anyone know the standard process when renting a commercial unit and you want to make a change of use own pays for planning permission and other costs to get the change of use the owner or the person going to rent the unit .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

What are you trying to do?

Planning permission is only required (In a very general sense) if your making an exterior structural change or making a change of use. i.e. Dry storage to refrigeration, storage to production. In a commercial sense, it may also require an environmental impact report i.e. Manufacturing Effluent, Waste discharge. It ain't cut and dry so if your making any major change you may want to consult the Co.Co. Engineer's.

I'd imagine in all cases it depends on your contract agreements but I can't imagine an owner paying for your planning permission, rates etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bob5666

Its for changing a takeaway to a clothes shop I need a change of use

bob5666 wrote: »

Pretty sure that requires a full planning permission application. Open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

You may find the landlord isnt keen on that, his planning as a food outlet is more valuable to him

If he was ok with it whos pays for planning and when do you start paying rent after you get planning , what is the usally process

• Advertisement

If he was ok with it whos pays for planning and when do you start paying rent after you get planning , what is the usally process

That's between you and your landlord. There's no usual process. I'd imagine any landlord would have to agree to the change of purpose, then you would make the application and if granted, do the outfit. Unless they were agreeable, you'd pay rent from the second you want the building. That means even when your going through the planning process. Remember you technically have a 'hold' on the building while your looking to do anything with it. Theres's no reason why a landlord would pay for any of it.

In fact I would say they would be firmly against it. If its a takeway and the equipment is still in there, its far more profitable as is. A take away's chippers equipment could be worth more than the building.

Its just an empty shell of a take away

Advertisement