Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIRC festival-primary showing question!

Options
  • 10-04-2013 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hi all!

I'd love to go to Stradbally this year and would particularly love to do some showing! However, I notice on the schedule that the only showing class open to primary riders is the Primary Showing class. It says that double bridles are not permitted. Does anyone know if this means snaffle only or could you still use a pelham? I've been having a lot of lessons to improve control and getting the horse I lease back to me, and it's going really well but he's a strong little man and hasn't done much competing in years so cantering as a group in a show class would probably drive him wild with excitement ;) I know I shouldn't need a stronger bit than a snaffle but being realistic, showing him in a large group in a snaffle would be a recipe for disaster and would mean not taking the risk to enter and so no showing class for me :-(

Incidentally, is this usually a popular class with a lot of entries?

Hope someone can help!
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Just had a flick through...

Says desirable that horse shown in a simple double bridle or a snaffle so my guess is you cant use a Pelham - BUT I would contact the AIRC directly just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭mariannewims

Thanks Marley. I saw that alright but then saw in the info on the primary showing class that double bridles are not permitted. So what I'm not sure is does that only leave the option of using a snaffle open to me or could I still use a pelham?
    I'll get on to the AIRC to check, just thought someone on here might have encountered the same issue before and would know for sure.

Thanks for replying!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bob1984

You can ride in a pelham :D this I know for certain :)

And you are correct - Double Bridles are not permitted in the Primary Class; It is a great class so enjoy it!

Thank you so much Bob, that's great to know for sure :)
    I really appreciate your reply!
    Have you done primary showing at Stradbally yourself? Is it a very popular class? :)

No problem at all :)

I dont ride in it myself as I am not a Primary rider but its a class I have a lot of interest in and have been lucky enough to be involved with over the past few years;

My horse actually took part it it last year with his Primary rider :D

It is a popular class but it is very well run and the judges and officials are very aware of all riders and any nerves that may be present - so definitely give it a go!

• Advertisement

Brilliant! Thanks for that :)
    Hope your horse did well last year!

Bob you seem to be quite clued up on all of this so do you mind if I ask you a couple more questions?!

I'm definitely going to do the primary showing at the festival but the AIRC website is fairly scant on detail. Do primary riders gallop? Rein back? Do an individual show? The in hand portion?
    I'm just not sure whether it's exactly like any other showing class but with only primary riders or if they leave out stuff like the gallop because we're novices ;)

Also do you, or anyone else, know anything about the primary performance hunter class? I know it's like working hunter but with just the jumping phase but looking at a few videos from the AP P Hunter class last year the riders seem to do a short section before jumping with some trot and canter on both reins. Does anyone know the exact rules or how it runs?

Thanks a million!
    Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

It should be exactly like a normal show. You use a plain dark brown bridle with a cavesson noseband. I personally wouldn't use a Pelham but you could get a bit that looks like a snaffle on the bridle but is a bit stronger (say dr Bristol or Waterford) Or chance the Pelham but you can expect to be marked down for it everything else being equal.

When you go in at first theres a common 'go round' where everyone will walk, trot and canter. I doubt they will get you to gallop in primary class. Then you will be pulled in and everyone will do an individual ridden show. Bit of walk, trot a figure of eight. Canter a figure of eight and then a few strides of gallop. Then you go back into the line, take off the saddle and the judges will inspect conformation and you will be expected to trot up in hand. (Practice getting your horse to stand up for showing and trotting up). Then saddles back on, back into the 'go round' and the judges will pull people in in order of their placings.

Horse should be plaited, in plain brown tack ( no fancy nosebands or browbands), brown numnah (not a saddlepad) and you wear tweed jacket, beige jodhpurs, velvet hat and shirt and tie.

Hi

Ask away :) No there is no gallop for the Primary but it does run as a normal show in all other cases. There is no individual show, there rarely is in any showing class. You will be asked to walk, trot and canter in a group and then the judge will ride and you will strip and do conformation and trot up.

Performance is marked per fence out of 10 but usually the judge will ask to see a small show in order to get a way of going mark which can be used more if there is a tie in jumping marks

PS a pelham never affected my horse in the class :-)

bob1984 wrote: »

PS a pelham never affected my horse in the class :-)

Might not have affected your horse, but its not correct either. Everything else being equal, a horse in a snaffle is more correctly turned out.

An yes you are right, they don't do an individual ridden show in Riding club festival, but you do in performance class.

• Advertisement

fits wrote: »
    Might not have affected your horse, but its not correct either. Everything else being equal, a horse in a snaffle is more correctly turned out.

An yes you are right, they don't do an individual ridden show in Riding club festival, but you do in performance class.

Maybe our experiences are just diffferent :-)

All I can say is for anyone wishing to do theclass dont be put off. Its supposed to be encouraging and it is :-) so go and enjoy

Performance hunter show pieces have been discussed at committee meetings and are really at the descretion of the judge. As far as Ican remember we are allowing extra time this year.

Just to add:

Mariannewims - there are also a few videos of the various classes that can be found online - they may be helpful to have a look at :)

Also there are a few shows leading up to the Festival that will hold Primary showing classes as a warm-up - Cheval & Kilronan will do so in the NER anyway. Certainly go try it or at least have a look if you cannot compete :D

Thanks so much Fits and Bob!
    I'm going to do the Cheval pre-festival and hopefully the Kilronan show so will get a bit of experience there. I'll also hopefully get to the Ashbrook derby day to give novice working hunter a bash!

Funny you say I might be marked down in a pelham Fits, I always thought either a double bridle (which I can't use anyway) or a pelham were more correct for showing than a snaffle! I didn't realise you should use brown tack either, but the lad's tack I lease is black so that'll have to do. I'm not buying new tack just for a few AIRC shows :)

Great to have your first hand advice Bob, I didn't think it'd differ all that much to any other show class but it's good to hear how it ran last year seeing as you had a horse there.

My club secretary is trying to organise a showing workshop for us in the next few weeks so that'll help clear things up more too.

Thanks guys, can't wait to get out there and show my lovely horse off and have some fun now ;)

Funny you say I might be marked down in a pelham Fits, I always thought either a double bridle (which I can't use anyway) or a pelham were more correct for showing than a snaffle! I didn't realise you should use brown tack either, but the lad's tack I lease is black so that'll have to do. I'm not buying new tack just for a few AIRC shows :)

Black tack is fine for this class. Its really if you were serious into showing, you couldn't wear black tack. Pelhams can be worn showing with double reins (they often use rugby pelhams which look like a double bridle) but preferably not in a novice class. A snaffle would be the best thing for this class.
    In fact I would have thought if a double bridle is forbidden that a Pelham on double reins would be too.
    My club secretary is trying to organise a showing workshop for us in the next few weeks so that'll help clear things up more too.
    That sounds great. I was at a workshop a couple of years ago and found it really helpful.

Yeah, I know, I would have thought that too; no double bridles so no pelhams with two reins either. But Bob's horse was used in primary showing with a pelham and I know some AP riders from my club showed in pelhams last year with no problems and AP can't use double bridles either!

As hard as I've been working on getting my horse listening to me at home and coming back to me, I know cantering in a group at Stradbally in a snaffle would be a bit hairy so I think I'll go with the pelham. Even if I AM marked down I don't mind, it's just for fun I'm doing it :)

Thanks for your help!

As fits said brown tack was always more traditional but it recent years more and more people have used black tack even it higher level showing.

I suppose the thing to do is to ride in what you feel comfortable. The Primary class is all about giving it a go, certainly if you get to either Kilronan or Cheval don't be afraid to have a chat with the judge or show organisers on the day if you have any questions.

I'll be there both days at the show rings so ask away and enjoy it :D

Correct - double reins are not allowed, only roundings :)

As hard as I've been working on getting my horse listening to me at home and coming back to me, I know cantering in a group at Stradbally in a snaffle would be a bit hairy so I think I'll go with the pelham. Even if I AM marked down I don't mind, it's just for fun I'm doing it :)

This is the exact reason my Primary rider used one so you are not alone :)

Oh so you can use a pelham with roundings at primary level?
    Good to know, I presumed I'd have to ride with two reins.
    You're a mine of information, thanks so much!
    Might see you at Kilronan or Cheval, I'll be the total amateur on the very excited grey monster :)

Oh so you can use a pelham with roundings at primary level?

I think you should check this out!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Ring/email the AIRC, would be a pity to be told to leave the class.

• Advertisement

I have checked this, I didn't make it up :)

I wouldn't never enter a horse in a class if I was unsure of the rules :)

Thanks all, will have primary showing to practise first at Kilronan and Cheval so will be better clued in from them before Stradbally :)

Not that I didn't believe Bob but I called the AIRC before getting my entries in just to be 100% sure on the rules. Even they are a little vague on this, it seems very laid back compared to other showing classes.
    They said a pelham isn't considered proper attire but is permitted, just an individual judge may mark you down. They say it's up to the rider whichever way they're most comfortable using the pelham, double reins or roundings are both ok.

Just to clarify (in so much as I can!) for anyone else who may be considering this class.

So pelham a go go here. Even warming up for dressage in a snaffle last weekend at Tara Hill was very excitable ;) A big field full of strange horses made it quite a challenge to get my mount listening to me so a show class with other horses cantering around would definitely be a major excitement to him/challenge to me!

Thanks for all your input, particularly you Bob, much appreciated. Roll on Stradbally now!

Glad to hear you go sorted :)

And I think what you have said is key - this class is all about the rider experience; It is about giving Primary riders the opportunity to show their horses in a controlled atmosphere.

The RC prides itself of people enjoying their horses :D

Don't get me wrong - in general showing circumstances - rules are alot stricter - absolutely - but just not for this class :D

So as I said before - go and ENJOY it!!

I certainly intend on that :)
    Not expecting to be bringing ribbons home but if I can give myself and the horse a fun weekend with new experiences, friends and some nice hacking around the grounds that's all I want :)
    I love watching showing classes so it'll be fun just to be involved.

Thanks for all your help and advice Bob. I had my first taste of an AIRC show last weekend and was blown away by how friendly, helpful and encouraging everyone was. No snootiness at all. I can only imagine the festival will be a bigger funner version!

Thanks again,
    M.

Thanks again everyone for all the tips and advice.
    Just a quick update, completed my first showing class at Kilronan today and had an absolute ball :) We came 3rd out of 6 and Spirit behaved impeccably!
    It may not be the same with all judges but today we didn't seem to be marked down for using a pelham and the girl who came 2nd had one too. Really looking forward to doing some more now, it was a blast! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

Well done:) was out there today, & your horse was so well behaved:)

Have to say it was a brilliantly run show, was disappointed not to see more in some of the showing classes, need to join a riding club lol :D keen to hire out the Derby course @ Kilronan for schooling but appparently not part of the Riding School...
    Just a quick update, completed my first showing class at Kilronan today and had an absolute ball :) We came 3rd out of 6 and Spirit behaved impeccably!
    It may not be the same with all judges but today we didn't seem to be marked down for using a pelham and the girl who came 2nd had one too. Really looking forward to doing some more now, it was a blast! :-D

Thank you for coming and supporting us Marianne :D Glad to hear you enjoyed yourself - well done on your placings!!

Nice to see such happy riders!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Super show today and the venue is spectacular, well done

• Advertisement

We all really enjoyed it and found you all a very friendly and helpful bunch, brilliant show and delighted we could go and support it! The grounds are amazing, you'd never imagine there was so much lovely land around the yard when you've only passed by on the road previously!
    Thanks Marley, he was incredibly good, shame I didn't know you were there to say hello ;)

Advertisement