Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feel like I've had my pants pulled down

Options
  • 10-04-2013 5:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭

Okay so two weeks ago in the e-mobile shop in the Parkway Shopping Centre I bought a Nokia Lumia 620 for 230 euros,

This morning I got up for work, got my phone was working fine, Drove into work , Upon walking in i took out my phone and it was dead would not turn on for the life of me , has happened once before too, , SO like the 1st time i tried to take out the battery and put it back in again as this worked 1st time around, only as removing the horribly difficult cover from the back i heard a crack

Turn my phone around to see a crack going across the middle, Thats fine says I but then i realised nothing on the touch screen above the crack was working.....decided to take it back this evening (receipt and all in hand)

And the guy behind the counter refuses to believe my story and says i must have dropped it and that he can't replace because of something i did..Guy's attitude was way off out of line, Didn't offer me any help outside of telling me where i could fork out 80-140 quid to get it fixed,

I've since droped it into a nokia shop where im told im going to be waiting weeks to get it back not happy at all,

and i come here to ask have I any rights at all in situations like this , happened me with a phone about 3 or 4 years ago too

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Okay so two weeks ago in the e-mobile shop in the Parkway Shopping Centre I bought a Nokia Lumia 620 for 230 euros,

This morning I got up for work, got my phone was working fine, Drove into work , Upon walking in i took out my phone and it was dead would not turn on for the life of me , has happened once before too, , SO like the 1st time i tried to take out the battery and put it back in again as this worked 1st time around, only as removing the horribly difficult cover from the back i heard a crack

Turn my phone around to see a crack going across the middle, Thats fine says I but then i realised nothing on the touch screen above the crack was working.....decided to take it back this evening (receipt and all in hand)

And the guy behind the counter refuses to believe my story and says i must have dropped it and that he can't replace because of something i did..Guy's attitude was way off out of line, Didn't offer me any help outside of telling me where i could fork out 80-140 quid to get it fixed,

I've since droped it into a nokia shop where im told im going to be waiting weeks to get it back not happy at all,

and i come here to ask have I any rights at all in situations like this , happened me with a phone about 3 or 4 years ago too

You sure you didn't sit on it or something ?
    Accidental Damage isn't covered by warranty.

Saying it broke itself is going to be very hard to prove, unless you can find some compelling evidence of other having the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,479 ✭✭✭brianregan09

No you see my problem is the phone was blacking out (a manufacturer fault if ever there was one), It was when i trying to open the back of the phone that the front cracked,

and i don't think if i sat on a phone i could break it lol I'm a small little fella haha

• Registered Users Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭lau1247

No you see my problem is the phone was blacking out (a manufacturer fault if ever there was one), It was when i trying to open the back of the phone that the front cracked,

and i don't think if i sat on a phone i could break it lol I'm a small little fella haha

if your gentle hand can break it, your ass can break it too :P

Seriously though, how hard did you press to try and open the back?? Was it even the right method to remove as per instruction book?

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

Well I don't know the last touch screen phone i had still works and i've had that for over 2 and a half years, Does nokia make cheaper glass for the screens or something :/

And yeah instuction booklet way wasn't working at the time and I was in a rush as i going to be late for work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm sorry but you removed the battery and no matter what you say it seems you replaced the back incorrectly; causing the screen to crack. No matter what you say it will appear that you attempted a repair, damaged the item and invalidated any warranty.

• Advertisement

.........................no if you read my 1st post it cracked as i was attempting to remove the back cover, not the battery itself...Any way never mind ill just know to insure it when it comes back

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

I'm sorry but you removed the battery and no matter what you say it seems you replaced the back incorrectly; causing the screen to crack. No matter what you say it will appear that you attempted a repair, damaged the item and invalidated any warranty.

I believe the op. Something similar happened to me recently with a smart phone which cracked in my pocket. I think they can be flimsy. There are lots of good youtube videos which show how easily gorilla glass can shatter.
    Also years ago I had a new Nokia screen go black for no reason. The shop claimed i dropped it and wouldn't fix it. It was a well known issue with the screens at the time. I got nowhere but refused to pay for a repair so dumped the phone. I swore never to buy Nokia again. I am delighted to see their near demise.
    BTW I had to pay to get the smartphone fixed.

If it was just the glass that was cracked you could probably buy a new screen and digitiser and replace it yourself. Again lots of videos showing how to do this. But if it's black that's not good.

vin33 wrote: »
    I believe the op. Something similar happened to me recently with a smart phone which cracked in my pocket. I think they can be flimsy. There are lots of good youtube videos which show how easily gorilla glass can shatter.
    Also years ago I had a new Nokia screen go black for no reason. The shop claimed i dropped it and wouldn't fix it. It was a well known issue with the screens at the time. I got nowhere but refused to pay for a repair so dumped the phone. I swore never to buy Nokia again. I am delighted to see their near demise.
    BTW I had to pay to get the smartphone fixed.

If it was just the glass that was cracked you could probably buy a new screen and digitiser and replace it yourself. Again lots of videos showing how to do this. But if it's black that's not good.
    Not what I said! OP was tricking with it and as no comeback if they think he caused damage while wrestling with the back. Cracking in you pocket is different.

.........................no if you read my 1st post it cracked as i was attempting to remove the back cover, not the battery itself...Any way never mind ill just know to insure it when it comes back

You referred to the terribly difficult back cover - this suggests you were not removing it properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 vin33

Not what I said! OP was tricking with it and as no comeback if they think he caused damage while wrestling with the back. Cracking in you pocket is different.

Fair enough. My point is that the shops will not help you under any circumstances. And will look for any excuse not to fulfill their responsibilities. I heard of somebody being told that a moisture detector was set off and that was why the phone was faulty. Total crap but the consumer has nobody to fight their corner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

It's unfortunate, but you have no way of proving you didn't crack it by being too forceful. Physical damage is never covered under warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Quatre Mains

Speaking as someone who has had no end of incidents and accidents ever since I started getting smartphones, I sympathise with the OP. I had "regular" mobiles for years with no trouble but smartphones are much more fragile as I've found out to my cost on a number of occassions. I think insurance is a must

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

You referred to the terribly difficult back cover - this suggests you were not removing it properly.

http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_lumia_620-review-885.php
    Main disadvantages
    Removing the back panel is testing

I don't think the OP is the only one who has a problem with removing the back on this phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

That is the most stupidly designed back cover I have seen!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Soundman wrote: »

That is the most stupidly designed back cover I have seen!
    Indeed. But actually getting the back off seemed fairly straightforward.

Advertisement