Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't top up my Galaxy

Options
  • 10-04-2013 7:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭

I have just bought my first smartphone, a Galaxy Y, which seemed like a decent entry-level phone which I could move on from in a year or 2 when I am more sure of what I want. I have it on Vodafone pay as you go like my last mobile.

Anyway, I have tried to top the dam thing up by my usual method, a 10 Euro top-up voucher from the newsagent.

So I ring 1741 and get the usual reply. Fine, but the keypad is gone, and to get it back I have to press "dialpad" which is like the keypad, but this time it does not have a backspace key to clear any wrong characters I may enter. This means I have to enter all 13 digits right, because if I make one slip I will have to end the call and begin again.

Also, the slightest delay in entering a character causes the screen to go blank, which means I have to swipe it again.

Once, once, I got all 13 digits down correctly. However, this time the phone told me it was not accepting the voucher number and referred me to 1747, who declined to take my call.

Im sure most smartphone users sneer at voucher top-ups, but are all smart-phones really this bl***dy awkward to do the simplest things with?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I know I look an eejit, but any help out there would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

Put the phone on loudspeaker when topping up, and increase the display time out in Settings > Display

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭ULMarc

Hey, you can't use the backspace key anyway.

When entering the code over the phone it takes it as you type t in. If there's a mistake then there's no way to clear it regardless of what type of phone you're using.

As said above it can be helpful to put the call on loudspeaker first so you can take the phone away from your face. Also, make sure you don't put a hand or anything in the way of the proximity sensor, it will think the phone is near your ear and this disables the display.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

I have now transferred my SIM card back to my old mobile and have given the Galaxy to a friend who wants it for her relative. She is welcome to it.

Advertisement