Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sitemap help

Options
  • 10-04-2013 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm doing an evening course in web design and we have to create a website. I've done that and am quite happy with it. We also have to do a sitemap, and I'm not sure what's supposed to be in it. I've done some reading and have gotten the general gist of it but am not sure what I'm supposed to be putting it, seeing as we won't actually be putting this particular website online.

What I'm guessing is that I make an ordered list of all the URL's for each. I only have 4 pages on the site, is that all I need to include. Or do I have to add any external links that I have on the website? What should the page layout look like...like the rest of the site? Sorry for all the questions, I'm a complete noob.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Seridisand

A site map should basically be a tree structure of your site navigation. The easiest way to create it is (best using an automated tool), is to start at the index / root and map out where that links to, and from those links where do they link to....so on

index(root)
    >> about|generic page|generic page
    >>generic page
    >>generic page
    >>contact|generic page
    >> generic page

**HTML sitemap should show users how to get around your site and XML sitemaps are for web crawlers..

Advertisement