Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The story of José and Abel

• 10-04-2013 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭

There are a lot of stories in football of greed and selfishness. This one caught the eye, precisely because it shows that sometimes - even in football - people can show kindness and generosity of spirit.

It involves a Mexican-American from Los Angeles with a dream, Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid, Manchester United and Maradona. I won't tell any more of the story, but just invite you read it. If you're a football fan, you'll know exactly how much it all meant to Abel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130410/real-madrid-fan-jose-mourinho/

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Epic Story !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

Marcelo's part in that story doesn't surprise me at all sadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

taytothief wrote: »

What do you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

taytothief wrote: »

It could've just been Marcelo chatting to him and then asking the guy to do him a favour to get him involved - it's no big deal. I wouldn't go making any judgements on a person based on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Whole thing is ruined by calling boots cleats. :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Whole thing is ruined by calling boots cleats. :-)

I thought cleats were studs?

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Class, and another reason to love Mourinho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Doesnt make particularly good reading for the Jose is a classless **** brigade

Always nice to read stories like that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,389 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Was expecting to read after it that they gave him a job and moved his family over or something, not sure it's a happy ending when he has to go back and wax floors after all that. Good story though.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭steirishrover

That's great...

Mourinho is a class act.. For such pressures of managing R.Madrid to notice even the little guys is brill

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Mourinho always seems very friendly with Manchester Utd. I doubt the time will ever be right for him to claim the job though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭taytothief

SM01 wrote: »
    It could've just been Marcelo chatting to him and then asking the guy to do him a favour to get him involved - it's no big deal. I wouldn't go making any judgements on a person based on that.

Meh, I reckon he just used the guy to do something for him. I'm probably just jumping to conclusions based on my impression of him though, so you may well be right. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That's a great story. Mourinho just keeps impressing me.
    Wanted to kill him :) after porto's goal in ot years back, but he has got my respect now.
    Seems like a genuinely decent guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Love him or hate him football would be worse without Jose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Duck Soup wrote: »
    There are a lot of stories in football of greed and selfishness. This one caught the eye, precisely because it shows that sometimes - even in football - people can show kindness and generosity of spirit.

It involves a Mexican-American from Los Angeles with a dream, Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid, Manchester United and Maradona. I won't tell any more of the story, but just invite you read it. If you're a football fan, you'll know exactly how much it all meant to Abel.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130410/real-madrid-fan-jose-mourinho/

What a wonderful story. I'm delighted to see that Abel's dreams came true.
    Mourinho behind the public persona is a true gentleman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

As if we needed any more reasons to love Jose, what a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Mourinho is the greatest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Thats a great story, he's a very lucky guy considering the chance on the El Clasico he took. Strange that he has no contact information for Mourinho after all that though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I'm a big fan of Mourinho, he seems a genuinely nice person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

What an amazing story! yes he can be a dick and even a cheat but hes also an incredibly down to heart human.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

Could never stand Moaninho, but I must say that was really cool of him if the story is accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mourinho is such a nice guy, seems really genuine and would be a perfect replacement for SAF, i hope he doesn't go back to Chelski, they just don't deserve him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,580 ✭✭✭✭CSF

scudzilla wrote: »
    Mourinho is such a nice guy, seems really genuine and would be a perfect replacement for SAF, i hope he doesn't go back to Chelski, they just don't deserve him

They really really don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,945 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Phoenix wrote: »
    Rofl keep hatin'

Say you work for a company for 3 years and do a great job, then they fire ya, off you go and become really succesful elsewhere, letting you more or less have the pick of working for any other company in your field of work, would you seriously want to go back to the place that treated you like crap?

It ain't hatin, it's just the way things are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I thought cleats were studs?

From Wiki: Cleats or studs are protrusions on the sole of a shoe, or on an external attachment to a shoe, that provide additional traction on a soft or slippery surface. In American English the term cleats is used synecdochically to refer to shoes featuring such protrusions.

In fairness, it would have been fairly crap of him if Kaka took the studs out of his boots and handed the guy a just the studs. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Gotta love Mourinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭dmc17

He looks like one of the thunderbirds in the first pic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No way Jose!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Brilliant story. I can't imagine what Abel was thinking for those couple of days.

I've grown to like Mourinho. I hated him at the start. It was probably more to do with his success than his character. Pretty much every player he has worked with has had amazing things to say about him. He seems pretty genuine.

Best line in it has to be, "when you're with me in Europe, you don't pay for s---."

Maith an fear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

In your opinion,doesn't make it so!
    Btw why do you continuously use "Chelski"

Everyone uses Chelski! It's a fitting title for a club with a patchy at best on-field history on the brink of going out of business, ie Chelsea, which became a plaything for a Russian multi-billionaire, through whose dumping of close to €1bn into the team enjoyed much success. Ie Chelski.

Hope that clears it up. ;)

LOL
    Still sore that Chelsea were the first London club to lift the European Cup are we?;)

A fine purchase indeed. And in such style!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

well this starting off as a nice thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Great story ... and an unreal experiece for Abel ... can't help feeling sorry for his wife and kids - they made a huge sacrifice for their dad/husband - hope they evetually got their holiday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

2ndcoming wrote: »
    Everyone uses Chelski! It's a fitting title for a club with a patchy at best on-field history on the brink of going out of business, ie Chelsea, which became a plaything for a Russian multi-billionaire, through whose dumping of close to €1bn into the team enjoyed much success. Ie Chelski.

Hope that clears it up. ;)
    A fine purchase indeed. And in such style!

If you examine things objectively, how is what they have done any different to how the majority of other big clubs operate? Pay the most money for the best players. Obscene amounts at times.

Real and United have been doing it for years. City are doing it at the moment, as are PSG. If you don't invest tons of money, you get left behind. i.e Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I really hope he doesnt come back to England. I want to like him but wont be able to if he is at Chelsea and especially if he is at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

He's like Balotelli. Hard not to love him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Rofl keep hatin'

Load of **** tbh

You are going to seriously try to portray Chelsea and in particular their treatment of managers in a good light?

Well good luck with that one buddy, your gonna need it

Why in the name of **** would Mourinho want to go back to a club where he had players thrust upon him that he didnt want? Where he will never really have full control over team affairs which is what he wants? Where he was sacked, despite the success he brought to the club, after an extremely barren run the previous, oh, I dunno, ****load of years?

What have Chelsea done to deserve a manager of his calibre? Treated every other manager employed since the Abramovich era began like ****? Yep, good sales pitch

Won us a double? **** you get out
    Won the Champions League? **** you get out
    Promised to back you and your project for the club? **** you changed my mind, get out

A manager of his calibre does not need to join that circus again, the likes of Benitez, looking to salvage a tarnished reputation, thats who needs a job like Chelsea.

/rant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

hefferboi wrote: »
    He's like Balotelli. Hard not to love him.

Except Balotelli has terrible PR and Mourinho doesn't?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Everyone uses Chelski!

Welcome to 2005. The future awaits you.

Kirby wrote: »
    If you examine things objectively, how is what they have done any different to how the majority of other big clubs operate? Pay the most money for the best players. Obscene amounts at times.

Real and United have been doing it for years. City are doing it at the moment, as are PSG. If you don't invest tons of money, you get left behind. i.e Arsenal.

Well the key difference is that Chelsea weren't and arguably still aren't a big club. Those clubs ability to attract the big players was based on their long standing history of success and huge fanbases, which also afforded them financial clout. Chelski don't fit into that mould because they are, like Man City, an artificial creation based solely on ridiculous amounts of money bankrolled to them by foreign tycoons. They're not investments, calling them that would suggest an expectation of a return.
    They are egotistical splurges that make those guys feel good because they show that they are so rich and powerful they can literally buy anything they want, including European sports trophies.

Getting back to the topic at hand, it's a great story and it stands to the sort of man Mourinho is behind all the PR manipulating and press conference showboating.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

kryogen wrote: »
    Load of **** tbh

You are going to seriously try to portray Chelsea and in particular their treatment of managers in a good light?

Well good luck with that one buddy, your gonna need it

Why in the name of **** would Mourinho want to go back to a club where he had players thrust upon him that he didnt want? Where he will never really have full control over team affairs which is what he wants? Where he was sacked, despite the success he brought to the club, after an extremely barren run the previous, oh, I dunno, ****load of years?

What have Chelsea done to deserve a manager of his calibre? Treated every other manager employed since the Abramovich era began like ****? Yep, good sales pitch

Won us a double? **** you get out
    Won the Champions League? **** you get out
    Promised to back you and your project for the club? **** you changed my mind, get out

A manager of his calibre does not need to join that circus again, the likes of Benitez, looking to salvage a tarnished reputation, thats who needs a job like Chelsea.

/rant

Because the money will be great and he can manage a club that challenges.

iregk wrote: »
    Welcome to 2005. The future awaits you.

Just because 8 years have passed doesn't change the facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Soups123 wrote: »
    Because the money will be great and he can manage a club that challenges.

And I also think Abramovich may have realised what he lost when he sacked José. If Mourinho goes back I think there may be a few guarantees demanded before he accepts it. Mourinho is big enough that he can do this with Abramovich. I would say Chelsea need Mourinho more now than José needs them.

I hate Chelsea but would like to see Mourinho back in the Premiership, he is class!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Rofl keep hatin'

Keep doing hateable things!

The owner doesn't give a ****, his own man in the fine tradition of Russian strongmen. But the fans have been plumbing new depths this year.

All that said, Mourinho would be well able to deal with all of it.

Just because 8 years have passed doesn't change the facts.

Such a coincidence that's the last time you've won a trophy as well isn't it. I can see why you haven't moved on.

iregk wrote: »
    Such a coincidence that's the last time you've won a trophy as well isn't it. I can see why you haven't moved on.

Contrary to what Mirror sports journalists write, I think most Arsenal fans can see the difficulties created by actually trying to invest in the long-term future of the club while unprecedented vanity projects were being conducted in some clubs and Ferguson kept on going at his irrepressible best.

I guess finishing above the billion spending European Champions 2 seasons on the trot will just have to do for now.

This thread should really be kept for the great story in Post 1 and tbh if that's the best comeback you've got I don't think I need to bother getting into this with you anyway. Good luck in the Europa!*

*Next season

This thread should really be kept for the great story in Post 1 and tbh if that's the best comeback you've got I don't think I need to bother getting into this with you anyway. Good luck in the Europa!*

Hahaha you do realise Chelsea are 3rd right now yes? Arsenal currently in 5th. So who exactly is being wished good luck in Europa for next season?

In any case on topic. That's a truly epic story.

• Advertisement
Advertisement