Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social life in UCD

Options
  • 10-04-2013 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I'm looking at going to UCD next year, I was wondering what the social life is like? Is it enjoyable and easy to make friends? I literally know no one with UCD on the CAO

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭triseke

Cornetto wrote: »
    I'm looking at going to UCD next year, I was wondering what the social life is like? Is it enjoyable and easy to make friends? I literally know no one with UCD on the CAO

It's up to you to be honest. Join societies and clubs, make an effort to get to know people. It won't happen magically, but there will be hundreds of people in your exact same position.

Relax. You'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭Cody Pomeray

The same rules apply as to other Universities - some Schools and Departments are more friendly and cohesive than others. If yours isn't, then join a society or club that does have that cohesion and sociability.

Is UCD more fun than other Universities? Not always.

In dublin, Trinity's city centre location, its pretty impressive end of year Ball, the Pav, and the more cohesive nature of the University overall as compared to UCD make it more socially attractive, in my opinion.

Sorry guys, my loyalty is normally to UCD, but they beat us on that score imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 TheoK136

Cornetto, saw your post in DCU re choosing between UCD and DCU... I'm actually just finishing up International Commerce in UCD and would highly recommend it.

I wouldn't worry about class sizes etc, Commerce Int has really manageable class sizes and I made friends pretty much straight away. Depending on your language, you'll tend to mix with these quite a bit but then there's loads of craic among the different languages!! I came in knowing no one either as the majority of my friends went to Trinity and DIT but I got settled really quickly and got involved in a few things like SU, Ents and hockey!

I know I may be a bit biased here but if its a business degree you want to do, UCD is definitely the place to do it... Its recognised nationally and internationally and the facilities in the Quinn school are fantastic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

You'll be grand! I actually think it's better knowing fewer people in the college your going to. You'll make more friends that way. There'll be hundreds of first years coming in knowing nobody.

You'll be in a peer mentor group and orientation week is great for meeting people. Also as others have said if you join a sports club or society you'll make friends through that. They'll have their social events too.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

Found it very easy, but it really depends on your course - Get involved in clubs and societies, especially if you're in Arts or Science, it can be a daunting place sometimes. From experience, pick a society or club that you've an interest in, and preferably something small (as in Jazz, Olympic Handball, TradSoc, Juggling, Rock-Climbing), you'll get to know people much quicker.

Some courses (Medicine, Vet, Ag especially) are really good on social events, but others aren't, and it varies - I wouldn't rely on your course at first anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭RoundBox11

Found it very easy, but it really depends on your course - Get involved in clubs and societies, especially if you're in Arts or Science, it can be a daunting place sometimes. From experience, pick a society or club that you've an interest in, and preferably something small (as in Jazz, Olympic Handball, TradSoc, Juggling, Rock-Climbing), you'll get to know people much quicker.

Some courses (Medicine, Vet, Ag especially) are really good on social events, but others aren't, and it varies - I wouldn't rely on your course at first anyway!

Now that you mention it, i think science (or science related courses) are probably the easiest courses to get to know people in. You'll be put in lab groups for most of your modules so you'll get to know people in your course pretty well

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

RoundBox11 wrote: »
    Now that you mention it, i think science (or science related courses) are probably the easiest courses to get to know people in. You'll be put in lab groups for most of your modules so you'll get to know people in your course pretty well

Science is huge though, there are people you mightnt even meet until the year splits off into other subjects in third year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 katie molly meg

dont make the mistake i made in first year and studied too much u should focus on friends and get enjoyment outta college its really important. Ucd is quite big but defo join the clubs, (some socities are a bit hit and miss) dont join too many though. Also ucd has no on campus bar at the mo which is kinda missed its like walking through a grave yard at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

dont make the mistake i made in first year and studied too much u should focus on friends and get enjoyment outta college its really important. Ucd is quite big but defo join the clubs, (some socities are a bit hit and miss) dont join too many though. Also ucd has no on campus bar at the mo which is kinda missed its like walking through a grave yard at night.

New forum bar looks fairly close to being finished, so that shouldnt be a problem next year!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 StephenR123

I loved UCD and I thought the social life was great. It really depends on which course you do. If you're in a small course you'll make friends straight away e.g. any course that's around 200 students give or take (engineering, commerce, law, etc.)... If you're doing something like science or arts, it'll be harder. You may get to know someone in one class but that may be the only class you see them in and therefore it's hard to build any strong friendships. I myself did arts, and though I got to know some people they're more friends I have on facebook and not friends that I'd call up. I knew, as well a kinda knew a lot of people going into UCD, so it was easier for me despite being in Arts. My advice, get involved in as much as you can. I had a lot of friends going into UCD, but I made really good new friends in places like the gym (no homo)...I wouldn't worry about it, as long as you're an outgoing person....when ur getting involved in school life just make sure ur not one of those bellends coming up to me and asking me to vote for some ****ing nerd

• Advertisement
Advertisement