Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Self build tt bike

Options
  • 10-04-2013 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I've been looking around a bit and I'm thinking of building a tt bike over time by gettin gathering frame now and just buying bits online when finances allow and I come across a good deal. I can get a Planet X carbon stealth frame for €400 and start from there.

Has anyone else done anything similar and was there really much of a saving or is that just the line I use to herself?

P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Briando

leana wrote: »
    I've been looking around a bit and I'm thinking of building a tt bike over time by gettin gathering frame now and just buying bits online when finances allow and I come across a good deal. I can get a Planet X carbon stealth frame for €400 and start from there.

Has anyone else done anything similar and was there really much of a saving or is that just the line I use to herself?

P

Groupsets are pretty expensive too. A decent groupset can set you back more than the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Briando wrote: »
    Groupsets are pretty expensive too. A decent groupset can set you back more than the frame.

Not for a TT bike. The main cost in Road bike are the integrated break and gear levers. A TT bike has bar end shifters which are dirt cheap and separate brake levers which are dirt cheap also.

All you are talking about is read derailleur, front derailleur, chain, cassete and cranks.

Brakes and levers can be cheapo ones (as they usually are on all stock TT bikes)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 enzeder

leana wrote: »

P

Are you getting the frame new for that? They're currently on sale direct through Planet X at about €475. I've got the Stealth with a full Dura Ace build and I love it. Good luck with the build!

Advertisement