Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World War Two Books

Options
  • 10-04-2013 10:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering can someone recommend me books on WW2, I've seen a lot from the side of the Germans, was wondering did anyone know of any interesting ones written from the side of the Allies?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

If you are interested in the US Pacific campaign a good read is 'With The Old Breed' by Eugene Sledge. It's a memoir of his time in the Marines in the Pacific campaign. I think it might also be what inspired the TV show The Pacific.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭MaggieNF

Looked that up on goodreads, it sounds like what I want to read about, have you read it?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭karl tyrrell

world war 2
    a complete photographic history
    more than 2,500 photographs and maps
    edited by Hal Buellhttp://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lfJvZFh9L._SY300_.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cdb

Russia's war by Richard Overy. Looks at the war from a Russian perspective. And why the allies won by the same author. Manages to portray many interesting aspects on the economic and manufacturing output of all sides and explores what might have been if different choices had been made. Well worth reading in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭666irishguy

MaggieNF wrote: »
    Looked that up on goodreads, it sounds like what I want to read about, have you read it?

Yeah I read it a few years back after that TV show came out, It's one of the best of the man on the ground memoirs out there. He doesn't censor himself at all. It's an honest account of what he observed and did. I have read a few memoirs and I think Sledge's book holds nothing back and is definitely a must read. There's a book by a British guy called Stuart Hills called 'By Tank Into Normandy' that is very good as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭roashter

The Forgotton Soldier by Guy Sajer
    It's about French man who fought for the Germans on the eastern front. Excellent book

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭tawfeeredux

Antony Beevor's Stalingrad, covers one of the key turning points of the war from both Russian & German perspectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭chasmcb

Naples 44 by Norman Lewis is a great read. Lewis was a British intelligence officer seconded to the Americans when they landed in southern Italy. Book is less about combat operations than the Allied occupation of Naples, the black market, the lunacy of military bureaucracy, the whole gamut of interactions between troops and Neapolitans.

I recently read the "non-fiction novel" HHhH about the assassination, by Czech commandos, of Reynhard Heydrich, the Nazi supremo in Czechoslovakia. That was excellent also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose. It follows one company of paratroopers from training through to the end of the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This is totally useless information to you but I bought my dad a great book a few years ago. He said it was one of the best he had read on WWII. If I find out the name, I'll post it on here.

I bought him Finest Years: Churchill as Warlord 1940-45 by Max Hastings last year and he was very impressed by it as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

I have always liked The Longest Day by Cornelius Ryan. It is a really solid description of D-Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I've just started Bloodlands: Europe between Hitler and Stalin by Tomothy Snyder. The blurb reads:
    In this revelatory book Timothy Snyder offers a groundbreaking investigation of Europe's killing fields and a sustained explanation of the motives and methods of both Hitler and Stalin. He anchors the history of Hitler's Holocaust and Stalin's Terror in their time and place and provides a fresh account of the relationship between the two regimes. Using scholarly literature and primary sources in all relevant languages, Snyder pays special attention to the testimony of the victims: the letters home, the notes flung from trains, the diaries found on corpses.

Not an easy read and pretty grim but a brilliant study.
    The Goodreads link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/9561568-bloodlands

Thanks for all the recommendations every one, definitely not short of books to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Nemesis by Max Hastings, fascinating book about the war in the pacific

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor. Anything by Beevor is worth a look

Fiction: Alan Furst. He's written many. "Dark Voyage" is one I remember enjoying.

Stalingrad - Antony Beevor. Anything by Beevor is worth a look

Fiction: Alan Furst. He's written many. "Dark Voyage" is one I remember enjoying.

you are the 2nd person to recommend the Beevor one, it's definitely high up on my to-read list

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Beevor also wrote another excellent WWII book called BERLIN.
    It deals with the final months in that city before end of the war and the impact on the ordinary people as the allies closed in and defeat was becoming inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

William L. Shirer's Rise and Fall of the Third Reich gives a great [and very readable] account of both the cause, progress and results of WW2.
    I think that if you want to read just one book about the war in Europe you could do lot worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭ledgebag1

Anything by Max hastings

Richard j evans trilogy on the third reich is well worth reading.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Helmet for my pillow by Robert Leckie was one of the main inspirations for the pacific TV show. Nemesis by max Hastings is good as a very conclusive one book explanation of the war in the pacific.

Band of brothers is really well paces fast and furious sort of war story but context is good and band of brothers is sort of light going. Currently reading all hell let loose by Hastings. It's a very good overview also. Very dense.

If you're looking to get hooked I'd start with band of brothers or d:day by Stephen E Ambrose. Stalingrad by Beevor is meatier stuff again. But if you just want to learn more about the subject I'd recommend Max Hastings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A Bridge Too Far - Cornelius Ryan
    First Light - Geoffrey Wellum
    The Big Show (Le Grand Cirque) - Pierre Clostermann
    Lightning Strikes: The Story of a B-17 Bomber - Andy Hartles

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Beevor also wrote another excellent WWII book called BERLIN.
    It deals with the final months in that city before end of the war and the impact on the ordinary people as the allies closed in and defeat was becoming inevitable.

Do you mean "Berlin: The Downfall 1945" or a different one?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

MaggieNF wrote: »
    Do you mean "Berlin: The Downfall 1945"

Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I forgot to include the full title!

Zeek12 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's the one. Sorry, I forgot to include the full title!

no problem, It's one I had an interest in already so just wanted to be sure I had the right one!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

Liddell Hart's History of the Second World War

It covers everything, the guy was in the war, he was interviewing other vets and writing on the war directly after it ended.

Advertisement