Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gains in Chest Strength

• 10-04-2013 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭

So I've been lifting since February and everything is coming along nicely. I'm seeing nice gains in size in all areas, including my chest. However, I'm frustrated because I cannot gain strength in my chest. Ever since I started training I've seen gains in strength all over my body, except my chest. For example, I started off shoulder pressing 15kg and now I'm up to 20kg. I started dumbell pressing 20kg and can't move past it. Every time I increase the weight I can't get my reps out and it's really frustrating me.

I know it's not my form or anything. I used to play rugby at a high enough level so had good strength and conditioning coaches who taught me well. I'm also eating a good diet, taking my supplements and think I have a solid enough chest routine, since I've only been back to lifting about 8 weeks. I'm only training my chest once a week as I can really only train 3 days a week and I have a 3 day split so I'd find it hard to get a secondary chest session. Could it be that I'm not training my chest often enough? I was considering creatine to get a quick boost in strength but having only been training for 8 weeks so I'm not sure I've gotten the full potential out of protein and a good diet yet.

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

Whats your chest workout?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Whats your chest workout?

3x10 flat dumbell press
    3x10 incline dumbell press
    3x10 cable flyes
    3x10 close grip bench press
    Drop set on chest press machine straight into a burnset

The_Gatsby wrote: »
    3x10 flat dumbell press
    3x10 cable flyes

No bench?

No bench?

I'm not too confident benching without a spotter. I've alternated the flat dumbells with the smith machine, getting 4x8 reps at 50kg

• Moderators Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Big_G

You should consider smaller sets such as 5s. Is your main goal
    hypertrophy or strength?

• Advertisement

Ask someone in the gym, they won't mind. Why don't you try a 5 x 5 programme? It's based on strength.

Big_G wrote: »
    You should consider smaller sets such as 5s. Is your main goal
    hypertrophy or strength?

Hyperthropy. I thought I'd gain some strength along with that also. I haven't seen any real gains in strength in my chest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

No bench?
    Flat Dumbbell press = Dumbell bench press
    I'm only training my chest once a week as I can really only train 3 days a week and I have a 3 day split so I'd find it hard to get a secondary chest session. Could it be that I'm not training my chest often enough?
    Its not that. There's no reason you can make gains with one chest day a week. Especially in the early stages.
    3x10 flat dumbell press
    3x10 cable flyes

What's a burnset? Why are you doing this? (Not saying its wrong, or right, I just believe everyone should be able to explain their reasons for each exercise)

You say you use 20kg on the flat DB press. I assume you get all 3 sets of 10 out.
    What weight do you jump to after this?
    You probably aren't strong enough for any sort of reps with 25s. You need to use 22.5kg, and you'll only get 4-6 reps.

If you get get 5 reps at 22.5kg, I'd use that weight and try to add a rep or two each week. It mgiht take a month to get to 3x10, but you'll get there. If you can't get 5 reps, I'd stick with the 20s until you get 3x12, then try the 22.5kg again.

Mellor wrote: »
    Flat Dumbbell press = Dumbell bench press

Its not that. There's no reason you can make gains with one chest day a week. Especially in the early stages.

What's a burnset? Why are you doing this? (Not saying its wrong, or right, I just believe everyone should be able to explain their reasons for each exercise)

You say you use 20kg on the flat DB press. I assume you get all 3 sets of 10 out.
    What weight do you jump to after this?
    You probably aren't strong enough for any sort of reps with 25s. You need to use 22.5kg, and you'll only get 4-6 reps.

If you get get 5 reps at 22.5kg, I'd use that weight and try to add a rep or two each week. It mgiht take a month to get to 3x10, but you'll get there. If you can't get 5 reps, I'd stick with the 20s until you get 3x12, then try the 22.5kg again.

A burnset is using a light weight at the end of an exercise and doing as many reps as you can. I like them because they add some extra intensity to my workouts. Although if size is my goal, is doing this counter productive as I'm burning more calories?

Your advice about using the 22.5kgs seems to be fairly logical and straight forward. I'll give that a go and see if it works over the next couple of weeks. Also, I've heard of people doing a set amount of reps, no matter how many sets. Do you think it would be worth doing this with the increased weight or just slowly building up the reps until I can do 3x10?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,658 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

A burnset is using a light weight at the end of an exercise and doing as many reps as you can. I like them because they add some extra intensity to my workouts. Although if size is my goal, is doing this counter productive as I'm burning more calories?
    I'm not too sure what it achieves in terms of your goals. Sounds a a page from the broscience manual, "increase the burn for bigger gains". In reality, the burn is irrelevant and personally I'd perfer to avoid purposely failing.
    I wouldn't worry about calories though, the energy from a single set is totally irrelevant over the course of a week.
    Your advice about using the 22.5kgs seems to be fairly logical and straight forward. I'll give that a go and see if it works over the next couple of weeks. Also, I've heard of people doing a set amount of reps, no matter how many sets. Do you think it would be worth doing this with the increased weight or just slowly building up the reps until I can do 3x10?
    Give 22.5kg a go and let me know how you get on.
    I would bother with set amount of reps, as you actually be working (in a relative sense) as you get stronger. Just go with 3 sets, trying to up the reps and then move on to 25kg.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

pre exhausting the muscle is great too,,mix it up.. flyes before pressing etc..even suppersetting.. just confuses the muscle and prevents going stale!

Advertisement