Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Drogheda

Options
  • 10-04-2013 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm going to be moving to Drogheda for work in June and I was wondering could someone give me a rundown on the place. I've never been and I'm going into a graduate job so I'll still probably be in the student mentality, so whats the nightlife like and things like that.

I also play a good bit of soccer and would look to join a club up there. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Where about are you starting work? Whether its on the northside or southside of the town would help with recommending where to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 irishleeds

Its with Irish Cement so I'll be working at the plant. I think its actually closer to Duleek but Ive heard that I should live in Drogheda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I used to live there.

Like yourself I got a graduate job with a company after finishing college and moved up without ever being to the place in my life.

It's a grand town, I probably didn't give it enough of a chance since I had friends living in Dublin and would always nearly go out there if I didn't go home the weekend.
    If you have a car you can make Dublin in no time at all.

I lived in Grange Rath, it's a good estate, nice/quiet/clean with a Dunnes/butchers/barbers/cafe at its entrance.
    Plus an hourly bus service to Dublin which picks up at the head of the estate.

Enjoy the accent :pac:

You could live in grange rath as suggested, its on the southside, where you'll want to be based. You'd probably want a car though living there.

If you don't drive maybe cedarfield, meadowview, rosevale estates are within walking distance of the bus depot.

I'll have a car alright.

Is there many soccer clubs around?

• Advertisement

irishleeds wrote: »
    I'll have a car alright.

Is there many soccer clubs around?

Loads who you play for depends on if you're any use, if your just in it to keep fit and make friends there's the likes of lourdes celtic and boyne valley, if your more talented then you've got Drogheda town etc

So whats the nightlife like up there. Will I end up just going to Dublin during weekends or is there good craic around. I play a bit of trad aswell, if theres any kind of scene for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Louthdrog

irishleeds wrote: »
    So whats the nightlife like up there. Will I end up just going to Dublin during weekends or is there good craic around. I play a bit of trad aswell, if theres any kind of scene for that?

I wouldnt be too big on the nightlife! Pubs are grand, but if your still "in the student mentality" then nightclubs etc are going to be a big let down.
    Overpriced entry and drink and a lot of the customers belong on an Irish version of Jeremy Kyle.
    Carberrys pub is the big trad pub in town although im not sure how open that is these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MariaStar!

I prefer a night out in Dublin to be honest but it's alright. The main night club is called Earth. That's the one everyone goes to since Fusion (the rival nightclub) closed. There's also a nightclub across the road from Earth called Storm but that's kinda an older/foreign crowd. It's improving though in my opinion, used to be a total dive. There's another new nightclub called Galaxy, I'm not sure if anyone actually goes to it yet though. Mc Phails is a good pub for bands and all kinds of live music as is McHughs. Barocco Bar in the West Court Hotel is a good place for pre-drinks as you get concessions into Earth at the weekend.

Advertisement