Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork based club for younger generation mid twenties and under?.

Options
  • 10-04-2013 11:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Anyone know of any Photography clubs for people in their twenties? Tried joining a club over easter but felt so out of place due to my age and when I tried to bring up some topics I was just buffed and ignored because I was allot younger then the majority of the members :(.

Even things like a photowalk or something would be awesome, tried planning one but couldn't ahead for various reasons.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

It's a long way off but if I get accepted into college I will down in Cork in September and will be looking for people my age as well to shoot with. I'm 24.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I know what you mean, I joined in September and feel very out of place, I was hoping a friend would join with me but he didn't want to. I'm On the committee for the photography society in UCC but we have way less turnout to any of our events during the year

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

KevHos wrote: »
    Tried joining a club over easter but felt so out of place due to my age and when I tried to bring up some topics I was just buffed and ignored because I was allot younger then the majority of the members :(.
    Jaysus, they sound like cnuts! Part of the Celbridge Camera Club (Kildare) myself, and find that they'll encourage you to enter the competitions from the moment you join. The age group in the club is varied, and this is good as some of the older members have tonnes of knowledge. Have learnt lots in the camera club outings about the camera, and how to shoot stuff differently.

Perhaps look at another club?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Lots of clubs consist of older members. One way to change this is to join and get involved in publicising the club through social media. An up-to-date website and activity on twitter and flickr will, over time, encourage younger people to join .
    Anyone know of any Photography clubs for people in their twenties? Tried joining a club over easter but felt so out of place due to my age and when I tried to bring up some topics I was just buffed and ignored because I was allot younger then the majority of the members :(.

Even things like a photowalk or something would be awesome, tried planning one but couldn't ahead for various reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Could I ask what club you joined? Send me a PM if you like. I'm in a Cork-based camera club myself and I reckon I'm one of the youngest members there (mid-twenties) but I feel right at home. If it was the same club and you wanted to give it another go I could introduce you to people in there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pixie_dust

I don't know any camera clubs dedicated to people in their twenties... maybe you could try setting up your own club?

sounds highly rude that you were ignored by the oldies of the other club. I guess if you could get a bunch of young people together with a good interest in it, you could get experienced photographers/teachers to give lessons to the group.

I'm 23 myself and interested in joining a camera group..so let me know if you're going to set one up! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭spiderjazz

I've started going to a photo club in Carrigaline recently. The majority of people would be older (I'm 27), but everyone I've met there has been very friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 KevHos

Who wants to shoot some street shots, grab a pint and talk photo stuff? p.s if you wanna add me on FB just add kevhosford to the end of facebooks website.

Sounds cool, I am up for that. Who else is? Should we suggest some evening next week or at a weekend? Should prob check the weather too!

Going to update this.. I live in Cork now so if anyway wants to go walk about shooting etc etc. I'm up for it though I wont be around til Monday onwards.. Back in Waterford for my birthday this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lagnagoushee

^^^^^
    Happy birthday

Haha thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭11811

dazftw wrote: »
    Going to update this.. I live in Cork now so if anyway wants to go walk about shooting etc etc. I'm up for it though I wont be around til Monday onwards.. Back in Waterford for my birthday this weekend.

I'd be up for that. Drop me a PM sometime can organise something. Welcome to Cork!

I'm also up for some evening/night shooting :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

Typical! This just happens as I leave Cork and move to Dublin :pac:

I was a member of the UCC Photo Soc and it was a lot of fun, you tend to lose a lot of the members after the initial 4-5 popular events but there'd be no harm in going along and getting chatting.

A lot of the members just want to see Cork and get some photos but I've always ended up chatting to someone who's going into photography full time and very interested in going on shoots etc, these are usually the members who lose interest due to the fact it's catering for mostly beginners and they feel a little bored so it could be worthwhile going along and arranging a walk with those who are actually enthusiasts!

AFAIK Societies are open to students and non-students in UCC anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karlee

I would love to meet up for some night shooting in Cork too if this is going ahead.

We could pick an evening that suits people, decide on a trail/location, and head for a drink after the hard work!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

I'd be up for it as well, haven't used the camera in a while and feel bad about it.

Cool, there seems to be loads of interest!

Should we suggest next tuesday evening, at like 7, by the docklands? Or any other ideas?

Hi guys

I'll be in Cobh tomorrow afternoon doing a bit of work, if anyone would like to meet up then i'd be up for it. The Cobh Regatta is on and there will be loads going on. Cobh is a nice spot for photo's as well. Other than that I can do town later in the evening cause I've nothing on then.

I think it would be cool if we just met up 1st and brought some work of our own instead of just going shooting?

• Advertisement

Sorry only saw your post now! Cobh is an awesome place alright. I'd def be up for events like that.

Good idea re the sharing of work!

Advertisement