Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exhange rate on visa

Options
  • 10-04-2013 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

I recently booked hotels in America using my aib Visa card. Is there any way to find out what exchange rates are being used as there seems to be a big gap in what I was expecting.

E.g $418 charged with €334 but xe gives €319

$240 charged at €213 but xe gives €183

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

Credit or debit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

First one seems ok, but the second one seems ridiculous (rate of $1.12 to €1)Wishful thinking to expect XE market rates. Visa and MasterCard set the daily rates (which today was around $1.30 to €1). However the banks can add commission of 0-5%. Meaning you pay more for your purchases. Even with that, second price is still way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Credit or debit?

it's credit card

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

http://www.visaeurope.com/en/cardholders/exchange_rates.aspx

I found that the rates which are shown here are usually the rates my PTSB card is using (plus the 1.75% conversion charge).

AIB must show you the rate on the statement and also break out the currency conversion charge separately, have a look at your statement and than go back and ask them why their rate is so far off from the Visa Europe Rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭wolfyboy555

Rang up aib there to see what the story was. It was the extra sales tax I forgot to include in the conversion that was the problem. I thought the hotel charges you that over there when you leave. All is good now. Thanks for the info, I must use that site instead of xe when purchasing online in the future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Rang up aib there to see what the story was. It was the extra sales tax I forgot to include in the conversion that was the problem. I thought the hotel charges you that over there when you leave. All is good now. Thanks for the info, I must use that site instead of xe when purchasing online in the future!

Yeah XE gives the mid market rate, this wouldnt be the rate you would get when exchanging money in the bank or what you will get on your credit card.

Advertisement