Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bob Heffernan/Na Fianna 5km 21.5.2013 @ 8pm

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Jnealon wrote: »
    The results look to be a work in progress.
    My time is not there and the lad from celbridge that finished beside me is not there.
    My club mates times seem to be out by 5-10 seconds

Id like if they took them down while WIP... Im getting messages saying well done but sub 19 will be all the sweeter when you hit it...Gosh this is really annoying me. I'm not usually like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭tang1

claralara wrote: »
    No way - strongly worded letter to Precision. I am sick!! Tang, what is your official time?

I emailed them my watch time, 18.47, them emailed me last night looking for a time as some chips didn't register. I'd say they have you mixed up with someone else. As meno said, i'm taking the watch time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

menoscemo wrote: »
    Ah no way!! I clearly saw 18:47 on the clock when you crossed the line, definitely take your watch time?
    Just saw I am not even in the results :-(

Well you know my feelings on this!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭wideball

Great race last night, I'd a watch time of 16:58 and a gun time of 17:02. Considering it took me a few seconds to cross the start line where I started my watch, for once I don't feel guilty taking the my watch time this time. The chip time is the gun time as there was no starting mat. So first time under 17 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭digger2d2

belcarra wrote: »
    Well you know my feelings on this!!:P

Touche John :D

• Advertisement

Regarding the Precision Timing issues.... There is no time registered beside my name either but let's give them a chance to sort this out or await an official comment before we come down on them like a tonne of bricks. I know it's very frustrating but they are usually excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭claralara

Having had my morning coffee I'm happy to say Ive calmed down and recovered from my early morning strop and am delighted with my time. Will just have to make it official next time :) There are lots of good 5k races coming up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭W.B. Yeats

No time up for me either- I clocked myself on the watch at 19.20 but would have expected 19.25 as a worst case scenario. They have a junior that was a few seconds ahead of me down as 19.30.... anyway I'll give them a while before sending in an email- from the results there are major gaps in times so looks entirely like a preliminary set.
    From recollection there was somebody just behind the finish line videoing with an iPhone when I crossed- maybe it was somebody from the club- that means they should be able to sort out their difficulties easily enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

Yeah, I just checked my emails and my chip obviously failed as they are asking me for my own time.

Email info@precisiontiming.net if there are any queries...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭blockic

Email from Precision Timing:

We would like to apologise for results not been produced for last night's race. We are working hard to get results for you. We Hope that this has not reduced your experience of the Bob Heffernan Race as it is one of the highest quality races in the region.

We like to thank Na Fianna and you the participant for your patience. We would kindly ask if you could could reply back to us with your approx time so we can produce results for you.

We had an unusual breakdown of equipment. We pride ourselves on producing results quickly and efficiently to give participants the best possible experience of race day services. Again we would like to apologise and we value your custom very much.

Kind Regards,
    Precision Timing

• Advertisement

blockic wrote: »
    Email from Precision Timing:

We would like to apologise for results not been produced for last night's race. We are working hard to get results for you. We Hope that this has not reduced your experience of the Bob Heffernan Race as it is one of the highest quality races in the region.

We like to thank Na Fianna and you the participant for your patience. We would kindly ask if you could could reply back to us with your approx time so we can produce results for you.

We had an unusual breakdown of equipment. We pride ourselves on producing results quickly and efficiently to give participants the best possible experience of race day services. Again we would like to apologise and we value your custom very much.

Kind Regards,
    Precision Timing

That's unfortunate as lets be honest, there will be a lot of people who started their watches too late and stopped them too early... Not pointing any fingers belcarra ;):D

digger2d2 wrote: »
    That's unfortunate as lets be honest, there will be a lot of people who started their watches too late and stopped them too early... Not pointing any fingers belcarra ;):D

I think CL should claim a house PB. I clearly saw her get in under your PB ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Maybe it was wrong of me to unplug the Precision Timing equipment before the race but my watch splits are the only record of my run and therefore I must regretfully go by my garmin data!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Well if the timing gear didn't work, people have to take their watch time as their time so, at most, your time will be out a few seconds but a PB, if you have it is well gained.

Annoying if you have gone under a 'xx.00' time but fair play to them for holding their hands up. That starts another question on do you hit your watch when you cross the line or when the gun goes off? I go with crossing the line but thats not for this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭geekington

Disappointed that my name isn't on the finishers list - got a 20 sec PB so hopefully they can find me when I crossed the line! I started my watch on the gun so I am taking this time if they don't find my result!

I mailed them and they got back to me immeadiately with the correct time - 17.12 for a new PB! Woohoo

chinguetti wrote: »
    Well if the timing gear didn't work, people have to take their watch time as their time so, at most, your time will be out a few seconds but a PB, if you have it is well gained.

Annoying if you have gone under a 'xx.00' time but fair play to them for holding their hands up. That starts another question on do you hit your watch when you cross the line or when the gun goes off? I go with crossing the line but thats not for this thread.

I start it at the start line when there is a start mat, but in races like last night I start it at the Gun.
    The start was pure manic given that there was no start mat, everyone wanted to get up to the front, in saying that I was about 10 rows back and would have crossed the start within a second or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

Jnealon wrote: »
    Usual photos here courtesy of the Mooney clan

Some great pics at the above link! These guys are amazingly generous with their time and photos and deserve a big thumbs up.

I was about 10 rows back and would have crossed the start within a second or two.

Yeah it was 2 seconds. I started my watch on the line and my watch is 2 seconds faster than my chip time. Looks like I crossed over before the equipment broke down.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

I'm not sure exactly how Precision's equipment works but they don't use a timing mat at the start.

I've seen them use two different techniques for chip timing. One is an overhead barrier with sensors connected to it so athletes run under the mat as opposed to over it. The other technique is a bit similar but I'm only guessing how it works. It looks like they have a sensor on a pole off to the side of the start line and as runners cross the start line the chips register. That's my best guess as to how it works.

I'm running a race timed by Precision tonight and if I get a chance I'll ask more about that second technique which I know they'll be using this evening.

But if Precision are timing a race and you don't see a timing mat at the start line don't panic. Chances are chip times will be recorded (although I've no idea what happened last night).

I didn't run last night so I don't know what set up they used in Johnstown Bridge.

Clum wrote: »
    IBut if Precision are timing a race and you don't see a timing mat at the start line don't panic. Chances are chip times will be recorded (although I've no idea what happened last night).

I didn't run last night so I don't know what set up they used in Johnstown Bridge.

There was no start time recording off the chip last night. The chip was solely used for recording the finish time. All were measured from the starting gun time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

blockic wrote: »
    There was no start time recording off the chip last night. The chip was solely used for recording the finish time. All were measured from the starting gun time.

Fair enough.

I'll still ask anyway. I'd like to know how it all works.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

wrstan wrote: »
    Some great pics at the above link! These guys are amazingly generous with their time and photos and deserve a big thumbs up.
    ...while running a 15:3x and 16:1x times. Incredible stuff.
    How did you get on Bill?

45+ People under 17 mins. Must be without a doubt the fastest road 5k in Ireland. Well done cwgatlin and wideball. Some serious times. Looks like a solid return to form for David Heffernan too.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭wrstan

45+ People under 17 mins. Must be without a doubt the fastest road 5k in Ireland. Well done cwgatlin and wideball. Some serious times. Looks like a solid return to form for David Heffernan too.

The quality of that race is mighty impressive alright - I took 22 seconds off my finish time in Lucan 2 weeks ago and went from 31st place to 65th! :D

I'm really pleased thanks Gary. First time under 18:00 for me with a satisfying 17:49! It doesn't take long to start looking for the next milestone though :cool:

Hopefully catchup Saturday, I'll be looking for the stash of craft beers in the big ice bucket!

Must be without a doubt the fastest road 5k in Ireland.

It was too easy KC, 500 metre net drop, wind behind our backs all the way, on sections of the course we got to run on a travelator and I'm not going to mention the happy ending back in deh dishco :D;)

In fairness to the quality of the race, belcarra mentioned that he'd never seen so many people doing a warm down.... For some other races the warm down consists of opening another packet of Monster Munchies ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Yeah precision races often don't have a start mat but will have proper chip times. Only if you run under a 'start' gantry though.

You all are so obviously in it together and lying about your times :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19,517 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I'm not going to mention the happy ending back in deh dishco :D;)
    Now that's value for money. All club races should be doing this. That'd definitely differentiate them from the Samsung night runs, and the Rock'n'Roll sh1te.

claralara wrote: »
    Having had my morning coffee I'm happy to say Ive calmed down and recovered from my early morning strop and am delighted with my time. Will just have to make it official next time :) There are lots of good 5k races coming up :D

They have you officially listed at 18:48 now, but I reckon you should have claimed 18:46 to make a house PB and maybe get digger out of his slump ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I filled in the form for missing results, the time matchs what I gave them (the time on the finish gantry), I assume they can check it using the video? Feels like its not official!

• Advertisement

They have you officially listed at 18:48 now, but I reckon you should have claimed 18:46 to make a house PB and maybe get digger out of his slump ;)

This aint no slump meno'hanlon.... This is a calculated recovery from a disaster marathon... I'm letting the body talk and I'm listening.... This morning for instance the body was whispering ''You don't have amazing guns'' and do you know what?..... The body was speaking the truth, shocking but true!! ;):D

Advertisement