Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science Jobs

Options
  • 11-04-2013 12:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Im heading over with a few of my friends to Vancouver in May and there seems to be a great demand for them (in trades) but not so much in science I did Microbiology in Trinity does anybody have experience finding science jobs in Canada have any pointers etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

I would also like to know about this too! I am a recently qualified Pharmacist, and although I can't practice over there (I would have to sit 7 exams, pay three grand sterling for them and do a three month unpaid placement.... dead on) I would still like to do something science orientated. I had found a few ads on craigslist a while ago for secretaries for science journals and also people to work in controlled drug warehouses etc, where science degrees are preferred.

If you see any sort of science orientated jobs, let me know! Not so as I will apply for them, just so I will know what other options are out there as I really don't fancy working as a pharmacy technician, though I can imagine that's what will be on the cards for me over there.

Good luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

For sciences, Ontario is your best bet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Ill be looking in toronto too

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭coulagh1986

First off be very careful of Craiglist. For science jobs indeed.ca monster jobbank.ca to name a few are the way to go in my opinion. Kijiji wont be of much use to you either. Theres a company called AGAT labs who seem to be all over Canada. There always hiring as they don`t pay well but it would be a start. I have a microbiology degree aswell. Working as a tester with oil company in Alberta. BS your CV aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 pooljinx

Hey whats the money like with the oil company if you dont mind me asking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 Niamh_M

I take it you guys have done your medical to pursue lab jobs? I kinds of neglected that part as I didn't want to pay the extra three hundred.

I didnt was hoping to get away without it, I have a few forms saying im vacinnated against Hep B but thats about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

pooljinx wrote: »
    I didnt was hoping to get away without it, I have a few forms saying im vacinnated against Hep B but thats about it!

Knowing a few people who work in the industry, I'd have to say you haven't a hope of fobbing off something like that

Oh right id probally just get it done over there if Ihad too!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Niamh_M wrote: »
    I take it you guys have done your medical to pursue lab jobs? I kinds of neglected that part as I didn't want to pay the extra three hundred.

Was the medical not only for if you wanted to work in medical/hospital related labs - surely it's not needed if you're planning on working in a soil lab or for a company who don't deal in medical devices? That's the way I read the wording to be on the checklist.
    Also, when I was in Canada the last time, I worked for 2mths in a soils lab and wasn't asked to produce any medical records.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Yeah it was only for clinical labs

adamski8 wrote: »
    Yeah it was only for clinical labs

Phew! haha! Ah no, if that's the only field where there's proper work, then I'd definitely have no issues doing a medical, but am just hoping for any sort of lab work to begin with. The last time the soils work was interesting, so might have a chance to get back into that. The post above, about the oil labs - are they up in Fort McMurray, or out of Calgary in the oil fields or what? Does anyone have any good links to recruitment for lab work in Canada?
    AGAT labs are coming up in every google search, but if the post above is anything to go by I don't want to be working for pittance!

I think AGAT pay 20 a hour which isnt bad but longterm you would want to be making more in my opinion to have a good lifestyle. Ya theres testing labs all over Alberta with both the Oil Sands and Fraccing..
    Be warned however I work with a guy who has a Science degree. We work with an oil company but he wants to be in a more clinical lab based set up and he could``nt find a job in Calgary..

I think AGAT pay 20 a hour which isnt bad but longterm you would want to be making more in my opinion to have a good lifestyle. Ya theres testing labs all over Alberta with both the Oil Sands and Fraccing..
    Be warned however I work with a guy who has a Science degree. We work with an oil company but he wants to be in a more clinical lab based set up and he could``nt find a job in Calgary..

And are you based in Calgary do you mind me asking?

no im up in a place caled grande prairie. Its all fraccing up here. fort mac is oil sands..

no im up in a place caled grande prairie. Its all fraccing up here. fort mac is oil sands..

What's fraccing? Must go and ask my good friend Google :)

Oh I dont think we should discuss Horizontal Fraccing as they`ll be 100 posts mosty against it. A lot of mis information out there. And of course some genuine bad stories aswell. Its probably the soloution to the worlds oil and gas for the next 200 years. Its still banned in Europe Mainland pretty much. Starting to take off in Oz and of course USA and Alberta/Saskawechan

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭smokeyjoe123

As far as science jobs go, you might as well avoid the west coast, I reckon Toronto is your best bet. Check out sites like indeed.ca and jobbank.gc.ca and do some research on the number and types of jobs in particular areas. I went to the west coast a couple of years ago and ended up with a materials science job (although Im qualified in Biotech). It was the best job I ever had though! If you are coming straight out of college with a science degree, you will be very lucky to land an entry level job as a lab tech (about $16 per hour). Also note that graduate unemployment and underemployment is huge in Canada (>30% iirc) and many employers will state that Canadian citizens will be given first preference. To be honest, most employers seem like they couldnt care less about your degree. Work experience outside of Canada is generally not recognised either. I have recently returned to Ireland and I have to say I found it way easier to get a science job here. That being said, its a fantastic experience to just get away and explore for a while and do something different. In an ideal world, you would have something lined up before you go, but that's easier said than done. A lot of microbiology jobs will be based in a clinical/medical environment and this generally requires Med Lab certification.

Advertisement