Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Considering career at sea

Options
  • 11-04-2013 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all, I am considering a career at sea qualified as an officer, either merchant or military. Just wondering what people's views are on both sides of careers at sea?

Bit of my background, sailed competitively for a number of years (national and world championships), qualified sailing instructor, VHF license, sea survival course, over 2,000 offshore miles completed on yacht deliveries, yacht master shore based course complete. I also have graduated with a degree in physics from UCC and a masters in medical physics from NUIG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Hi,

I'm at sea about 12 years now. Things have changed, and are still changing.

Its a good life, a great life for a single 'man' ?

My background is very similar to yours, but I never competed in worlds !

It doesn't really count for much in this proffession, in fact, you will cope quiet a bit of stick for being a WAFI, but that is an opening for a whole other discussion.

From early in secondry school I only ever wanted to be a marine engineer, so I have no regrets, but having started a family, it can be hard being away.

A long time ago an old chief once told me that the only reason people go to sea, is for the feeling of coming home !

Its a great life, but has its hard times.
    Employment oppurtunities are excellant, once you get a few years experiance.

Hope that helps a little,
    SD13

• Registered Users Posts: 42 SK101

Does being color-blind hamper you in either the navy or merchant navy do you know?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 Darkwarriorcok

SK101 wrote: »
    Does being color-blind hamper you in either the navy or merchant navy do you know?

Yes don't press the fcuking red button!!

As an engineer, it is less strict than for navigators.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Yes. If you are colour blind you will not pass the medical to hold a watchkeeping qualification.

Proper colour vision is vital when it comes to recognising navigation buoys, whose lights come in 3 colours, or combination of colours. Red, Green or white.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

As Goldie says, if you're colour blind, you won't be working as a deck officer.

getImage.gif?ID=3329663

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭murphym7

Just got a shiver down my back remembering being quizzed by old men on the bridge during the 8 - 12 with bloody flash cards. Anyone else have bad memories being quizzed by captains at night during watch?:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

We used to learn the rules on the 8-12 morning watch and then have to recite them on the 8-12 late watch. A few drinks in bar after lunch would always lubricate those words right out of my memory though. :o

This was something I was diagnosed with as a 9 year old but I have passed navigation courses already with it so I am not sure how bad it actually is it. I mean I can read that nav chart easily above

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CGD

This was something I was diagnosed with as a 9 year old but I have passed navigation courses already with it so I am not sure how bad it actually is it. I mean I can read that nav chart easily above

Yeah but that is in black and white!

• Advertisement

Can you distinguish red, green and white here?

600px-ColRegs_Diving_operation_lights_signal.png

2 red on left, middle is red, white, red and right is 2 green

Colour blindness (or lack thereof) is purely for looking out the window at nav lights, buoys etc. so if you can read the lights and pass the vision test, you'll make it to the next stage.

You're right on those colours above.

There is an M-notice hidden somewhere on the Dept of transports website. I can't load it on board here though.

It should have the criteria both for colour blindness, and visual accuity. If I recall correctly, there is a tolerance. Mild colour blindness is not an outright disqualifier.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Freedive Ireland

I applied for RNLI crwing but was caught on colour blindness I have red/green colour blindness so yes a red naviagetion light at night could be an issue. I would see it but maybe not as fast as somone without colour blindness. For the record I see all the **** you guys see in colour but the best way to describe it is imagine a snooker table in a snooker hall dark around the table bright light on the table put the brown ball in the middle of the reds and I couldn't pick it out. Not a major issue but used to be on old electrical stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

There is an M-notice hidden somewhere on the Dept of transports website. I can't load it on board here though.

It should have the criteria both for colour blindness, and visual accuity. If I recall correctly, there is a tolerance. Mild colour blindness is not an outright disqualifier.

Most testers use ishihara, which if you are borderline, means you fail, You have the option to go for the lantern test instead, but this is only done at dept offices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Even the slightest colour blindness could be a massive issue for you as cadet

I mean, if you can't judge the colour of the coffee, how can you properly achieve the correct milk to coffee ratio in my coffee?

If as cadet can't do that, you're not much use to me :pac:

An American blog about a cadet on a tugboat

http://backtoseawithme.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Hi all, I am considering a career at sea qualified as an officer, either merchant or military. Just wondering what people's views are on both sides of careers at sea?

Bit of my background, sailed competitively for a number of years (national and world championships), qualified sailing instructor, VHF license, sea survival course, over 2,000 offshore miles completed on yacht deliveries, yacht master shore based course complete. I also have graduated with a degree in physics from UCC and a masters in medical physics from NUIG.

Best of respect for Navigation and Engineering officers (in most cases), so no offense meant to these.

Leaving aside any color blindness issues. Are you aware that as you already have a physics degree there are a vast number of other offshore engineering opportunities open to you.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

323 wrote: »
    Best of respect for Navigation and Engineering officers (in most cases), so no offense meant to these.

Leaving aside any color blindness issues. Are you aware that as you already have a physics degree there are a vast number of other offshore engineering opportunities open to you.

I have been trying to find out information on other careers at sea in which I could use my current degree and not have to return to university but so far have not turned up anything solid. Have you any advice or suggestions on where to go to find these jobs?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭323

Webpage on one of the main associations representing offshore, marine and underwater engineering companies.

http://www.imca-int.com/careers/make-the-move.aspx

Only the areas I have been involved in over the years

http://www.imca-int.com/careers/careers-guides.aspx

Reality is the industry has been hopelessly bad when comes to recruiting and are paying the price now.
    The industry is flat out and desperate for people, all positions above and many others.

Physics degree would get you in with the seismic industry too. Also graduate engineering programs with most of the big offshore engineering companies and the operators (the oil companies).

Will get PM off later

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

Advertisement