Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[REQ]eircom Fibre Rollout Map

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:04am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭

Hi

A Boards centred mapping crowdsource is mapping all the eircom VDSL cabinets in the country and we noticed that while Tralee should be complete we don't have any cabs marked there yet. I would also expect a VDSL cab to be installed in the Mounthawk exchange area which is the north west corner of Tralee on the Ardfert Road and in Killerisk in SE Tralee which is the eircom HQ and a few estates round about there on the edge of town.

If the mods are amenable I would ask you to look at the current map and read the short instructions ( complete with a Photo of the objects we are looking for)

The full instructions are here, it is very simple if you have a gmail account.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=83997736&postcount=1

Many thanks. I;m sure that Tralee will join the 21st century along with many other towns in Ireland this year but I'd like the evidence. Killarney is well advanced as ye can see.

SB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭555guy

should we expect that these cabinets are in all towns and villages or just large towns ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,538 ✭✭✭✭siblers

555guy wrote: »
    should we expect that these cabinets are in all towns and villages or just large towns ?

Only in Tralee unfortunatley.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

siblers wrote: »
    Only in Tralee unfortunatley.

Tralee including the parts covered by Mounthawk ( NW) and Killerisk (SE) and also in Killarney which is reasonably well mapped.

Other Kerry towns scheduled to get VDSL are Kenmare and Listowel in 2014 but I would not expect them to have started yet. We are only looking for the units on the right of the photo in the instructions linked in Post 1 in this thread, the yoke on the left is a dumb cabinet ( with double doors) but they are normally co located.

eircom will not roll this technology out to rural Ireland, ever. You need to have fibre in your village and near enough 200 customers within half a mile of the cabinet as it has 200 ports. After half a mile the speeds are around ADSL2 speeds, 20 mbit ish and dropping really fast thereafter.

Thanks for the help so far, a few cabs have shown up in Tralee today and are on the map in my sig below.

Advertisement