Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shipping from Ireland to Canada

Options
  • 11-04-2013 2:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Looking to get some stuff shipped out from Ireland to Ottawa area relatively fast. Mainly hurls and hurling gear as joined the local nuts here. Has anyone any recommendations on which companies to use or how fast/cheap they are? Any advice appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Looking to get some stuff shipped out from Ireland to Ottawa area relatively fast. Mainly hurls and hurling gear as joined the local nuts here. Has anyone any recommendations on which companies to use or how fast/cheap they are? Any advice appreciated!

mother works for the post office, and sends stuff out to me now and again. The post office works on thresholds, and it costs the same to send a 6kg package as it does to send a 19.5kg package. So whenever shes sending me stuff, she packs it out to just under 20 and sends it away. not exactly sure of the cost, but think its in the E50-80 area.

For DHL/UPS etc, im not sure, but id be nearly sure it would be more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Great stuff, thanks alot...Now I wonder how much 4 hurls and a helmet weigh...haha

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭CatMc48

Great stuff, thanks alot...Now I wonder how much 4 hurls and a helmet weigh...haha

I was actually just checking out prices with an post the other day, and it's €65 for a parcel from 5kg up to 20kg - so if you only want the 4hurls and a helmet, and they're over 5kg, then pack up the box with tayto and cadbury's to the max weight and send it on over :)

......so, I just said I'd double check for you, as there was talk about the cost of stamps going up in April, and sure enough, parcels have gone up too!!
    So it's now €60 to send off a parcel weighing 5kg, and then for every extra kg it's €1 - up to a maximum of 20kg in weight. Still not too bad value - €75 for a 20kg box to be sent over.

Although an extra bag with the airline (if you were only heading over) is probably only €50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

Brilliant stuff, that's great, thanks looking into it. I'm out here since October and even with the spare bag on the flight I had to make alot of cuts and the hurling gear didn't make it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

We used these and they were good. Remember, this is a competitive time for these companies. Always look for a deal. Ask for silly prices and work up to an agreement. Dont ask, dont get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

ciaran67 wrote: »
    We used these and they were good. Remember, this is a competitive time for these companies. Always look for a deal. Ask for silly prices and work up to an agreement. Dont ask, dont get.

Did you end up paying customs charges once they arrived in Canada? And did Customs hold onto your stuff?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Did you end up paying customs charges once they arrived in Canada? And did Customs hold onto your stuff?

Shouldn't pay customs on you own stuff, especially when it's shipping from you to you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

COYVB wrote: »
    Shouldn't pay customs on you own stuff, especially when it's shipping from you to you

I would think so too. But a shipping company told me that they have to itemise every single item and then it goes into customs, gets held there and checked and there is a possibility of having to pay customs duty. Thats why it would be good to hear from people who actually used this service.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Make sure everything is marked as not being new

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

I would think so too. But a shipping company told me that they have to itemise every single item and then it goes into customs, gets held there and checked and there is a possibility of having to pay customs duty. Thats why it would be good to hear from people who actually used this service.

No we didnt pay cos we didnt bring that much... only about 15 boxes. It was all clothes and the odd thing so wasnt worth much. As long as you keep a good list of what you have, Canadian customs should be ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement