Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday Pay Dilemma

Options
  • 11-04-2013 3:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Howdy

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands, i worked in a pub for about 2 years. I usually worked 1 day a week for 8 hours and a lot more shifts thrown in a long the way for busy match days etc.My employer chose to pay me cash from day one,so therefore i was an unregistered employee.I pay very small tax weekly in my other part time job anyway so this was benefiting my employer more than myself.

I took some time off over Christmas and i was unfairly replaced for no reason what so ever,i felt hard done by as i really enjoyed working there and knew all the locals etc. A friend of mine who worked in another pub told me i am still entitled to holiday pay even though my employer only paid me in cash as he had fought a similar case with his previous employer,can anyone tell me if this is true?I did a search but i couldn't find anything.

I would appreciate any help,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

scudger wrote: »
    Howdy

I have a bit of a dilemma on my hands, i worked in a pub for about 2 years. I usually worked 1 day a week for 8 hours and a lot more shifts thrown in a long the way for busy match days etc.My employer chose to pay me cash from day one,so therefore i was an unregistered employee.I pay very small tax weekly in my other part time job anyway so this was benefiting my employer more than myself.

I took some time off over Christmas and i was unfairly replaced for no reason what so ever,i felt hard done by as i really enjoyed working there and knew all the locals etc. A friend of mine who worked in another pub told me i am still entitled to holiday pay even though my employer only paid me in cash as he had fought a similar case with his previous employer,can anyone tell me if this is true?I did a search but i couldn't find anything.

I would appreciate any help,thanks.

You cant have it both ways here. You didnt pay tax but you want all the benefits you would normally be entitled to from a job. Thats my view on it here. The employer was wrong paying you "under the counter" but you were wrong also as you were not paying tax.

You could tell the employer you will report him to Revenue if you dont get holiday pay owed to you. However remember you were not tax compliant in this either. You knew you werent paying tax and worked there for 2 years.

Advertisement