Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PTRB Response Times

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

If I make a complaint to the PTRB does anyone have an idea of how long it will take for them to look in to it? Is there a big wait at the minute?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

sept09baby wrote: »
    If I make a complaint to the PTRB does anyone have an idea of how long it will take for them to look in to it? Is there a big wait at the minute?
    They prioritise certain types of complaints for hearing. What's yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

Loads of things but wouldnt be too urgent as I'm leaving anyway.

- Not registered with PTRB
    - No BER, no lease, no rent book
    - Not being left in peace. 9 visits in 10 weeks. Notice of these visits ranges between none and 22 hours.
    - Being threatened with illegal eviction and told I had no rights (due to no lease) as a result of me saying another visit today (with 21 hours notice) was not suitable and suggesting tomorrow (Friday) instead

Some issues with the house (no working cooker etc) that I resolved myself so not worried about that. There's loads of other stuff but I think that's really the relevant stuff for the PTRB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

- Not being left in peace. 9 visits in 10 weeks. Notice of these visits ranges between none and 22 hours.
    - Being threatened with illegal eviction and told I had no rights (due to no lease) as a result of me saying another visit today (with 21 hours notice) was not suitable and suggesting tomorrow (Friday) instead

Some issues with the house (no working cooker etc) that I resolved myself so not worried about that. There's loads of other stuff but I think that's really the relevant stuff for the PTRB

A (working) cooker is one of the items specified in the housing standards act Housing (Standards for Rented Houses) Regulations 2008 - check the attached pdf on page 6.

The Citizens Info site is a good site to read, and also check their page for the minimum standards

I'd have a good read thorugh that see what else the LL is missing. I'd also print it off and highlight any things the LL is doing wrong/doesn't have and then give it to the LL when they hasle you again.

Tell them your taking a case to prtb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Does not affect your rights but it does affect his rights as he cannot make a claim or counter claim against you.

- No BER,
    Not a requirement of the RTA 2004 nor PRTB

no lease, a lease may be verbal or written - the fact that you have paid rent and occupied the property indicates that you have a lease agreement.

no rent book
    If there is no written lease agreement which clearly states that it also acts as the rent book, then the LL is in breach of his obligations.

Do you pay the rent in cash on a weekly basis? if yes, then is he collecting the rent? If no then that will probably be classed as disrupting your quiet and exclusive enjoyment of the property.

If this was a verbal threat, you need proof - otherwise it is your word against his and exactly what was said. However, with proof, attempted illegal eviction is taken very seriously by the PRTB. However, as you seem to be leaving of your own free (i.e. you are not strenuously objecting) will you probably wouldn't receive damages for this.

Have you given your Notice in writing and the required notice period? - if not you would be in breach of a tenant's obligations. However, the landlord cannot claim against you if he has not registered the tenancy.

If you wish to make a claim, you should do so without delay. Although I don't know of a time limit for making a claim (except in relation to a Notice of termination which is within 28 days of the service of that notice), I'm sure that in a month or two's time it would not be considered as relevant and may not be entertained by the PRTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I'm not looking for damages and don't think I'll get anything from them. Just want a complaint registered against them regarding their treatment. They should not be allowed to treat anyone the way I have been. They have made my life a misery.

I pay rent monthly by bank transfer. The visits were not in relation to that. They were insurance/valuation assessments. Only discovered afterwards that the house is being repossessed by the bank and being sold at auction. On Easter Sunday I got a call from the landlady to say she was outside and was going to pick rosemary in the garden outside the kitchen window.

The threat of eviction was by text message last night when I informed them that today wasn't suitable to someone to come. I'm moving at the moment and giving the keys back on Sunday. I asked could it be done either on Friday or after I left. I was told I don't have a say in it and things escalated from there.

I did not give any notice as the reason I'm leaving is that the house is being repossessed by the bank. I was informed by text message that I had two options - 1) leave this month or 2) stay and put up with viewings and see what the new owners want to do. I chose the first option.

I may leave it til Monday to lodge the complaint as I'll know by then if my deposit is being returned (they previously mentioned financial difficulties about this).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

I did not give any notice as the reason I'm leaving is that the house is being repossessed by the bank. I was informed by text message that I had two options - 1) leave this month or 2) stay and put up with viewings and see what the new owners want to do. I chose the first option.
    That may well be sufficient to be awarded substantial damages, provided you are not less than 6 months in the property. The PRTB have a disliking to illegal evictions. Up to 6 months, the landlord is entitled (provided there is no fixed term agreement) to evict a tenant without a reason.

Furthermore, if you have been in the property for more than 6 months, you are entitled to remain there for up to 4 years without any new contract.

As regards to just making a complaint to the PRTB, that will not do much good - apart from notifying the PRTB of a landlord that may not have registered his tenancy. They do not keep a record of that type of complaint about bad landlords (nor about bad tenants) - they act as adjudicators in complaints where one party is (usually) seeking damages from the other.

Advertisement