Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turbo Training sessions..

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:16am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Does anyone have any good links to turbo training session programmes?

Are the DVDs out there any good?

Also are HRMs essential for maximum benefit?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

ebixa82 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone have any good links to turbo training session programmes?

Are the DVDs out there any good?

Also are HRMs essential for maximum benefit?

Thanks

No, no and no.

*cue series of posts linking to terrible programmes :)

I've yet to see a good set of sessions on an internet site. Some of the trainer road ones are interesting but not really worth the subscription.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭Kurt Godel

While you are waiting for good sessions to be invented, you could try out some of Sufferfest offerings. Given the choice between staring out at a cold and damp day, and working up a sweat on the turbo, I find these great for motivation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

tunney wrote: »
    No, no and no.

*cue series of posts linking to terrible programmes :)

I've yet to see a good set of sessions on an internet site. Some of the trainer road ones are interesting but not really worth the subscription.

Well where do you start?

My 400m swim TT is 5.58 and my 10km run PB is 39.02. Have completely neglected the bike and haven't cycled since DCT.

I need to put a lot of work in on the bike but wondering what a decent session should consist of.

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    While you are waiting for good sessions to be invented, you could try out some of Sufferfest offerings. Given the choice between staring out at a cold and damp day, and working up a sweat on the turbo, I find these great for motivation.

Thought there were some great comments by some cycling Journos around the World Cross Champs "Now remember people despite what the advertising banners around the course say I can assure you that none of these riders have ever used a Sufferfest video"

I did get some of the Sufferfest videos, not a huge fan to be honest. Even hooked up to a Computrainer to control load.

Well where do you start?

My 400m swim TT is 5.58 and my 10km run PB is 39.02. Have completely neglected the bike and haven't cycled since DCT.

I need to put a lot of work in on the bike but wondering what a decent session should consist of.

Probably too late to do anything for this year on the bike IMHO. Decent swimmer, know a lad that swims at a way higher standard than he bikes, (53 IM), they get completely demoralised spending the rest of the race getting passed. I suspect that that won't happen this year though to him.

• Advertisement

Well where do you start?

But if it was me (and it is as I am in the same boat) I would look at two sessions a week (one a strength endurance session and one a threshold session) and a long bike.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭ebixa82

Probably too late to do anything for this year on the bike IMHO. Decent swimmer, know a lad that swims at a way higher standard than he bikes, (53 IM), they get completely demoralised spending the rest of the race getting passed. I suspect that that won't happen this year though to him.

This. It's very frustrating, you could be twice as fast as someone swimming, but if they are 20% faster than you on the bike then they are well ahead and there's no way of catching them no matter how fast the run is.

Thought there were some great comments by some cycling Journos around the World Cross Champs "Now remember people despite what the advertising banners around the course say I can assure you that none of these riders have ever used a Sufferfest video"

I did get some of the Sufferfest videos, not a huge fan to be honest. Even hooked up to a Computrainer to control load.

If there's something better out there, I'm all ears. All I know is I'm at similar swim and run times to the OP and have seen bike times improve (same 20k loop as last year) through 100% sufferfest over the winter. Whatever about the pro's, I find them useful at my level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I dont think there is one magic session that is a fit for all. If training for sprint distance a lot of work will be geared towards sub & supra threshold work. For IM while there is some threshold work and SE the training is specifically getting you ready to ride for very long periods at 75-80% of FTP (higher % held if you are any good).
    Ideally this type of work is done over Winter months to get you ready to hit the specific work required as the target races approach. If you know what your FTP is or your LTHR on the bike is then its a starting point, build your sessions around that.
    Trainer road whilst not ideal is better than having no structure to work off, key point being the training needs to be specific to what you are targeting. No point training as a sprinter if you want to be a mountain goat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Kurt Godel wrote: »
    If there's something better out there, I'm all ears. All I know is I'm at similar swim and run times to the OP and have seen bike times improve (same 20k loop as last year) through 100% sufferfest over the winter. Whatever about the pro's, I find them useful at my level.

I know from reading your log KG that you do a good few downward spiral turbos which is fine to a point but the issue being that session is really geared towards short sharper efforts. I know you have Valentia coming up so i would really start to look at longer efforts than 2mins efforts decreasing.
    Some work around threshold ideally increasing times on each interval etc. It goes back to what i was saying earlier about being specific with your training. You need to be ready to ride at 100% effort for the guts of 30-35mins and whilst DS gets you some of the way there you need to mix it up with some longer stints around 90-110% threshold which will serve you better.
    Be creative and find new ways to torture yourself on the turbo:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭longshank

I know from reading your log KG that you do a good few downward spiral turbos which is fine to a point but the issue being that session is really geared towards short sharper efforts. I know you have Valentia coming up so i would really start to look at longer efforts than 2mins efforts decreasing.
    Some work around threshold ideally increasing times on each interval etc. It goes back to what i was saying earlier about being specific with your training. You need to be ready to ride at 100% effort for the guts of 30-35mins and whilst DS gets you some of the way there you need to mix it up with some longer stints around 90-110% threshold which will serve you better.

Training at your top speed for 30-35mins = getting better at your top speed for 30-35 mins...training above your top speed for 30-35mins = getting better at above your top speed for 30-35mins.
    As usual I suppose it is never so black and white and depends on your own strengths weaknesses, and a combination of intensities.:)

Good advice- I totally agree with you about the need for training to your specific goal. I've not really gone outdoors on the bike this year- a combination of sh!tty weather, bad local roads, and lack of opportunity. In the absence of getting outdoors (and onto hills), the turbo has been a saviour. I'm bringing in some other SF vids which have longer sets (just did Angels, 3x8mins climbing with attacks).

Advertisement