Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modern Pentathlon

Options
  • 11-04-2013 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

I am really interested in doing modern pentathlon, i was just wondering how good I would need to be to get involved?

I shoot at national level anyway, showjumping is good (i'm working with coaches for these two disciplines anyway on an ongoing basis)
    My run is decent, i'm working on improving my swimming (at the moment it would take me 4mins to do 200m) and I started fencing a few months ago and showing promise.

Am I better off improving this a bit more before I get involved so I dont make an eejit of myself?!

My disadvantage is that I'd be entering at senior level and as far as I'm aware, all of the seniors at the moment are all world cup standard?

Also not sure if this should be in the run, shoot or equestrian forums

Thanks!

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I know nothing of modern pentathlon, but I presume your times for swim run need to be well up there. What are your run times like?

Your swim needs a lot more work tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭jeawan

From what i know allot of the Modern Pentathlon people that are doing it have a Back ground from doing the Pony club Tetrathlon so maybe posting in the equestrian forum you would get better advice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Go straight to the horses mouth perhaps

http://pentathlon.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

The pentathlon federation is running intro camps for beginners in the north of dublin its a very encouraging environment ( and a lot of people are adults) . you are most likley to good for that but it might be a good start to get involved and if you shoot them an email iam sure they will tell you whats best for you. ( if you cant find them send me an Pm and i send you a contact number )

For doing 5 diciplines they swim fast and at world class level quite a few swim sub 2 min for 200m.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    The pentathlon federation is running intro camps for beginners in the north of dublin its a very encouraging environment ( and a lot of people are adults) . you are most likley to good for that but it might be a good start to get involved and if you shoot them an email iam sure they will tell you whats best for you. ( if you cant find them send me an Pm and i send you a contact number )

For doing 5 diciplines they swim fast and at world class level quite a few swim sub 2 min for 200m.

Good old Peter playing with words again :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ordinary star

my run time would be a bit less than 4 mins for 1km cross country, not entirely sure of this as i just run 6km for fun about 3 times a week..

yea i should have stressed that i realise my swim is weak, although i have only taught myself to swim front crawl last nov when i first was interested in pentathlon, the 4 mins is without diving in or tumble turns (i need to get someone to teach me those yet)

but i presume i wouldnt have to begin the sport at world cup level?

i'll look into the training camps thanks!

i have sent them 2 emails but got no reply, was just trying to get a feel of how good i would have to be to get involved, considering that i am at that level for riding and shooting already, my run not too far off and i'm working on the other two!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭lorimc

You could try their facebook page
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pentathlon-Ireland/111639625514771?fref=ts

I know a few of them through fencing and its a sport that really needs some serious commitment, especially those going to world cups. These guys train like crazy 6 days a week. Only three of them are at world cup level currently but the others are constantly going to comps and training camps all over the UK and Europe. I must say though if you are good enough Pentathlon Ireland have managed to form a structure to produce some high level athletes in the very short amount of time they have been around. I've see first hand several of them that could barely do anything with an Epee winning national comps within a few years!!

Advertisement