Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog Seperation Anxiety

• 11-04-2013 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hey , so basically myself and my partner are hoping to go to Canada for work. We are hoping to rent out our house but heres the thing ... we got a pom pup 3 years ago .. she is like a child to us (we have no kids) and I am very attached to the dog .. she is spoilt .. but we are in 2 minds to take her with us or not .. simple fact is we wont have too much money going over so we will probably be staying in hostels etc until we get settled in jobs.. also I have spoken to a couple who brought their dog with them travelling years ago and highly recommended that we don't bring the dog as it would not be fair on the dog , it would be too stressful especially when we will be busy tryin to get work. We are hoping to rent out our house and the only option we seem to have regarding our dog is to leave her with my partners mam.. which lives very near us, but im worrying that my dog will not settle when we are gone and keep calling up to our house (her house also) and wat way will she be to the people that rent from us?!?! .. head wrecked and worrying bout the dog :-( any advice ?!?! .. on what the best thing to do is? .. I was thinking of rehoming the dog altogether but my partners mams place is like a second hme to the dog so at least she wont be as lonesome ?? . im trying to think wat the best is for the dog?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

If the dog is familiar with your partners mam and her home and she is willing to take on the dog then I don't see why this isn't the best option.

Her new garden should be secure, that way she won't be able to call up to the old house or go wandering at all. You can also start acclimatising her now, dog-sharing if you like so it's not such a huge thing when you finally go for good.

You will also have the added benefit of knowing how she's doing and being able to get updates on her, something you may not be able to do if she's rehomed elsewhere. This will give you great peace of mind as trust me, there's nothing worse than not knowing, especially if she's as important to you as you say she is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Why not start rehoming the dog now? If you're set on moving then start getting the dog used to being at your moms place instead. Is she able to take care of it as you have? Will she be able to walk it etc.? Then start her walking it once a day etc. as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 frazzlecase

Thanks for the advice guys , I think ill do that rehome her now permanently to her new home ... it'll be weird when im used to the dog with me here and im here but its true ill see how she is adjusting, thanks again ! x

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rose red

This may sound nuts, but when I'm working overseas my dog goes off his food. Just will not eat - until I phone and he hears my voice! When he hears me, he seems to settle. Also I usually leave a sweater or a piece of clothing. The dog will have my scent and it seems to settle him as well.

Advertisement