Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree Planting Advice

• 11-04-2013 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

I have planted 5, Sorbus x Thuringiaca 'Fastigiata' in a row about 1200mm apart!

I want the trees to provide a privacy cover in summer when in full bloom.
    Have I planted the too close together? The info on the tree tag says they grow to 4m in height which is ideal but i also want good cover in summer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is that the right name on the tag? I would normally see them getting much larger than 4m... I've seen fully grown ones easily over 10m. You can cut them of course though if they get too tall.

They are a fairly narrow tree in general, but 1.2m is quite tight.... they will be growing into eachother very quickly indeed. You're only giving each tree 60cm each to meet in the middle from each side. But that's what you want I think. Closely packed.

How mature are they? If they are very young, then it'll be a while before they get there anyway.
    If you want them to form a sort of tall hedge, your spacing is probably ok, but will need some long term maintenance when the branches start crossing.

If you want a row of trees, each looking seperate from the other, then they are too close alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

Thanks for reply!
    Double checked the tag and thats the correct name alright...height 4m, spread 2.5m. Flowers april/may, berries aug/oct.

Planted last week from pots about 2m high staring to bud now.
    I think you are right maybe a bit tight together but I definetly want them to create a privacy cover in summer.
    Will have a look at spacing them out a bit better.
    Thanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WUFF wrote: »
    Thanks for reply!
    Double checked the tag and thats the correct name alright...height 4m, spread 2.5m. Flowers april/may, berries aug/oct.

Planted last week from pots about 2m high staring to bud now.
    I think you are right maybe a bit tight together but I definetly want them to create a privacy cover in summer.
    Will have a look at spacing them out a bit better.
    Thanks.

You could try "pleaching" them.

Bamboo framework and then you prune and train the trees to grow into each other to form a large screen.

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=155

Get it/do it right,and the results can be fantastic looking.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭WUFF

[You could try "pleaching" them.]

Thats not a bad idea...might give that a shot! (he says with confidence..not knowing what pleaching was 2 minutes ago):)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

WUFF wrote: »
    [You could try "pleaching" them.]

Thats not a bad idea...might give that a shot! (he says with confidence..not knowing what pleaching was 2 minutes ago):)

Well it might be a solution for you and something unusual and nice to do.

Regards.:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement