Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga for tweaked hamstring

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    I tweaked/mildly pulled my hamstring last night. I usually do yoga once a week. Does anyone know if it would be beneficial to do some yoga or would it have the opposite effect.

Cheers

I would categorize it as following:
    Grade 1 Hamstring strain
    With a grade 1 hamstring strain the athlete may have tightness in back of the thigh but will be able to walk normally. They will be aware of some discomfort and unable to operate at full speed. There will be little swelling and trying to bend the knee against resistance is unlikely to reproduce much pain.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InnerLightYoga

Hey!
    I would strongly recommend to take it easy and give your body time to recover. There should be no pain while practicing yoga. You should avoid stretching hamstrings during the process of healing, do not practice seated and standing forward bends, some of the postures may be modified, like Trikonasana (Triangle) - do not bring your torso low, bend slightly the front knee; in Hasta Padhangusthasana (Hand To Big Toe) do not hold the toe, use a belt instead. Remember that now your body is repairing the hamstrings by stitching tiny fibers of connective tissue, if you stretch the injured tissue, the tiny fibers can be torn loose and the healing process will have to start again from the beginning.

Namaste

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Namaste1

I second that reply. Yoga should never be practised until the injured body part is healed. Otherwise you risk more damage or delayed healing. Once healed yoga can help stretch the injured area and release tension from surrounding areas that may have tightened to protect the injury or compensated for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 InnerLightYoga

Yoga is as well a pratcice of pranayama, yoga nidra and meditation - list of benefits is long. During the recovery you can choose other form of yoga. There is loads of stuff on this on the internet for free.

Namaste

Advertisement