Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need More Bottles

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I see Tesco are doing Vratislav 500ml for 99c

Might as well buy bottles with beer in them :D

Be a bonus if the beer was decent....

Anyone any experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

its a sweet-ish light lager similar to the czech Gambrinus or the Aldi Staroslav. I personally like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Is this all Tesco stores and how long for?

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Alter-Ego wrote: »

No Idea, i was just looking online

link

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

Alter-Ego wrote: »

They`ve been selling it at this price for a couple of years. One of their biggest selling beers as far as i`m aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

Check the bottles - they might be paper thin.

I have a bad habit of quick chilling my beers in the freezer.

Which every now and then results in a lovely freezer accident.

Those pilsner bottles seem to shatter like a parent's nightmare.

Whereas my usual homebrew bottles (typically brown english ale bottles) only blow their caps.

Bottle choice is important for home brew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

I only ever reuse bottles that mostly contained wheat beer or bottled conditioned beer. They are stronger and are mostly brown. It has been suggested that green bottles can let in more light which can affect the flavour of the beer over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Hmm..seeing as we're talking about bottle issues..I've been a fan of buying the grolsch (for the flip tops mainly)... On closer inspection I've noticed that some of the bottles have pitting inside the glass.. A few of them had like a black mouldy/grit in the pits when I took them out to use them...even though I store them with sanitiser and water in them...usually I bin them and keep the flip top, so can't really say what if any effect it might have on the brew but wondering if anyone else has noticed this?

I you hold it up to the light you can see there might nt be pitting but little air bubbles in the inside face of the glass..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Dub. wrote: »
    They`ve been selling it at this price for a couple of years. One of their biggest selling beers as far as i`m aware.
    Thanks for the info. I've never seen them in any of the stores I've lived near. I take it they're only in the bigger stores and online?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 john4592

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    I see Tesco are doing Vratislav 500ml for 99c

Might as well buy bottles with beer in them :D

Be a bonus if the beer was decent....

Anyone any experience?

It's gone up to 1.20 now. Still though its a top lager for the amount and the price. My local Tesco is sold out a lot of the time so it must be popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,894 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

for an extra 50c you can get Tyskie which is

a) nicer
    b) in brown bottles, rather than green.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭sharingan

loyatemu wrote: »
    for an extra 50c you can get Tyskie which is

a) nicer
    b) in brown bottles, rather than green.

Brown is important. It doesn't take long for the hops to spoil in clear/green glass when they are exposed to light (doesn't have to be direct sunlight either).

If you need really cheap beer bottles, the Lidl/Aldi cheap european lager is in brown bottles, and it is actually a pretty decent beer.

Good luck sourcing bottles though - I agree that it is pretty hard to get good ones cheaply in Ireland. In the UK, I find that you can easily get cheap english ales that come in good bottles, and you can sometimes get common belgian beers that also come in really good glass.

IIRC you should be able to get large bottles of Leffe & Hoegaarden in supermarkets in Ireland, and while they will be a premium on the cheap lagers, they wont be near as expensive as other premium belgian beers (trappist beers, Duvel etc.).

Westmalle Dubbel may often do the rounds on a special offer, and those bottles are incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I've been just drinking what I like.

I did but 3 12 packs of bottles from Homebrew West in order to build up the stock. I have over 80 bottles now.

What I have:

* Hobgoblin (and one or tow of their ginger beer that the other half likes) from Wychwood Brewery

* O'Hara's and O'Shea's

* Crabbies Ginger beer

* Proper Job by St. Austel Brewery

Here are the ones I bought:

http://www.homebrewwest.ie/brewery-quality-glass-beer-bottles-500-ml-12-pack-amber-1288-p.asp

Advertisement