Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Content Marketing - Context is King!

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭

There's been a lot of "debate" about content marketing and the death of SEO etc etc. Actually, SEO has been dead for over 12 years now - a brilliant infographic from SEOBook.

Given the recent panda updates that have finally taken out many but not enough of the blackhat sites (although also badly penalising some grey-hat and over optimised sites) - the voice of Content Marketing has emerged.

I've found this odd because I always thought of SEO as putting content into context.

So I put a slideshare together about it - if anyone from an experienced SEO pov wants to chime in, I'd love to hear your comments and thoughts

http://www.slideshare.net/PrimaryPosition/seo-context-in-online-marketing
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

If you think about it: SEO is about presenting your content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

blue4ever wrote: »
    If you think about it: SEO is about presenting your content.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭akagaby

SEO always worked and always will work for whoever has the most resources (money)

And no, SEO is not dead :)

Only automated article submission tools and sites that published this sort of articles are dead (wink wink)

This guy seems to agree with me. Or me with him :)

Regards

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭jmcc

link8r wrote: »
    Fascinating. There's more in that slide set than a bunch of SEO books. I'm not sure about the Google "reading" issue though. Natural Language Processing is a great way to analyse the themes and topics of a site but it can be quite CPU intensive. It is not reading in the same way as a human might read a site but in terms of categorising a site and distinguishing spammy sites, it is very powerful. The link between Authority and Context for websites is one that can't be stressed enough. (Not an SEO head but rather someone who views things mainly from the other side.)

Regards...jmcc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 387 ✭✭link8r

jmcc wrote: »
    Fascinating. There's more in that slide set than a bunch of SEO books. I'm not sure about the Google "reading" issue though. Natural Language Processing is a great way to analyse the themes and topics of a site but it can be quite CPU intensive. It is not reading in the same way as a human might read a site but in terms of categorising a site and distinguishing spammy sites, it is very powerful. The link between Authority and Context for websites is one that can't be stressed enough. (Not an SEO head but rather someone who views things mainly from the other side.)

Regards...jmcc

Thank you very much, really appreciate the feedback.

Yes - regarding Google reading. I did this intentionally to create a scale to say "more like this" to challenge the rubbish that people write. Its been best said like this: "Most marketing copy is inoffensive and bland" - because people are worried about perception. You cannot control it, so don't give into it!

I do agree with you that its a lot more sophisticated than data.

Here's an example:

"We sell the most prestigous metal buckets in Musnter" ----> do you want to leave it to association that Google will figure out the following:

1. By metal you meant copper, alloy and zinc too?
    2. By Munster did you mean Limerick/Tipperary/Kerry too ?
    3. By prestiguous - this is how you want to be perceived but in what context will it ever be relevant?

So think like data a bit more

thanks again!

• Advertisement
Advertisement