Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bike question(s)...apologies

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Alright folks,

Can't make up my mind between buying either a new Felt B16(2012 model) or a Cervelo P3 (2006 Aluminum frame) if it's not sold from under me due to my indecision.

Planning on getting serious about the sport so I see it going two ways:

1) After the year I realise I don't have as much interest in triathlon as I thought I did.

2) Get sucked in and in one or two years time look at upgrading.

Financially, to purchase new is about twice the price so obviously if (1) happens I know the answer.

Is there much of a difference performance-wise between the two (Carbon vs. Aluminum)?

If I did go with the Felt, would I be happy enough to be on the same machine in 5 years time?

Any advice welcome, feel free to be as blunt as possible.

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

What are you riding now, or is this your first bike?
    What wheels and groupset are on each bike?
    How serious are you about the sport right now?

Instinctively I would think that if I planned to keep a bike for 5 years* I would'nt want to start out with a bike already 7 years old.

*you wont keep the bike for 5 years. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

If you get sucked in the B16 wont be good enough either and you will be looking enviously at the shiv or a P5 ;)

There wouldn't be much difference between the two of them at our level, we like to kid ourselves that the latest Carbon bike will cure all our ills. But its the engine on top of the bike rather than the bike where most of the speed comes from

You might get a few more years out of the B16 before you start looking enviously at other peoples bikes though, however you will pony up for aero wheels no doubt in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Seems to me that in both your scenarios the answer is the same and you should go for the second hand bike starting off.

If you love triathlon you will IMO most likely want to upgrade from both of those options in the next year or two.

All depends on funds and the level of interest and enjoyment you get out of it so its a variable no one can answer yet and in time only you can answer.

For my first 8 or so months I used a road bike with TT extensions.
    Next 10 months I used a second hand TT bike with race wheels.
    Then I went mad and bought dream bike new knowing I'm in this for the long haul.

Triathlon can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.
    If you already have a road bike then look at extensions?
    If you know you want a TT bike then my advise is buy second hand for the moment. Lots out there and good value.
    Also gives you a bit of lee way in budget for race wheels should they take your fancy as well.
    I won't even start on the gadgets...

Thanks for reminder I need to dust off and advertise my first TT bike also.
    Only suits a 5'6-5'9 we though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Can i ask is the Cervelo P3 (2006 Aluminum frame) from Cycleways by any chance? They had been trying to offload one for years last i seen

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭ray o

Bambaata wrote: »
    Can i ask is the Cervelo P3 (2006 Aluminum frame) from Cycleways by any chance? They had been trying to offload one for years last i seen

Do they still have the black P2 SL in there? I think that one was knocking around for a couple of years too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

And at silly silly prices too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

personally i would stay away from an old Aluminum frame unless you get it at the right price, they do get "soft" with age,

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

BennyMul wrote: »
    personally i would stay away from an old Aluminum frame unless you get it at the right price, they do get "soft" with age,

Yes the age old adage favoured by bike shops selling bikes. Heard that one too from someone trying to sell me a bike.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/frame-soft.html

tunney wrote: »
    Yes the age old adage favoured by bike shops selling bikes. Heard that one too from someone trying to sell me a bike.

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/frame-soft.html[/QUOTE]

I agree Aluminum does not have a fatigue\endurance limit like steel, however the strenght of the aluminum will decline with usage, when I was refering to "soft" I was speaking where the, I have seen bottle bosses, front mech etc falling off, (first one happended to me on a lovely machine:()

Sorry if "soft" was mis-leading

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

So by soft did you mean brittle?

Ive read about catastrophic failures in ally handlebars before. Is it something that happens with frames?

• Advertisement

most catastrophic failures i have read about with handlebars and stems is with Carbon, this when it goes it goes it simply shatters,
    in theory Aluminum will not go britlle, in soft I mean strenght, the frame will flex more; some joints e.g. where the bottles are attached to the frame break off, or the front mech hanger break off.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭MalDoc

Oryx wrote: »
    What are you riding now, or is this your first bike?
    What wheels and groupset are on each bike?
    How serious are you about the sport right now?

Instinctively I would think that if I planned to keep a bike for 5 years* I would'nt want to start out with a bike already 7 years old.

*you wont keep the bike for 5 years. :)

I had a Giant Defy 1, which I sold before coming home.
    Cervelo was sold and the Felt has standard stock wheels and groupset asfaik.
    Up until now, not very. Plan is to join a club for more structured training but avoiding social occasions at least a month before a goal race will be the big test.

Oh I know, I've been looking at bikes for the last three weeks like women must look at shoes :)

Fazz wrote: »
    Seems to me that in both your scenarios the answer is the same and you should go for the second hand bike starting off.

If you love triathlon you will IMO most likely want to upgrade from both of those options in the next year or two.

All depends on funds and the level of interest and enjoyment you get out of it so its a variable no one can answer yet and in time only you can answer.

For my first 8 or so months I used a road bike with TT extensions.
    Next 10 months I used a second hand TT bike with race wheels.
    Then I went mad and bought dream bike new knowing I'm in this for the long haul.

Triathlon can be as cheap or expensive as you make it.
    If you already have a road bike then look at extensions?
    If you know you want a TT bike then my advise is buy second hand for the moment. Lots out there and good value.
    Also gives you a bit of lee way in budget for race wheels should they take your fancy as well.
    I won't even start on the gadgets...

Thanks for reminder I need to dust off and advertise my first TT bike also.
    Only suits a 5'6-5'9 we though.

Thanks for all the advice folks, considering everything I'm now going to go with the Felt S-22 (2011). Cervelo was sold before I made up my mind and I'm better off buying new as at least then I'll know exactly where it's been.
    Hopefully I won't even consider upgrading until no further gains can be made fro training that bit harder, but as you said only time will tell.

Ha, the gadgets have already been factored into the budget, the ones I think I need anyway...:o

It must be one of the only sports where a moment of madness can lead to a large hole in the wallet!:)

Bambaata wrote: »

No just saw it on donedeal but I missed out.

BennyMul wrote: »
    tunney wrote: »

http://sheldonbrown.com/brandt/frame-soft.html[/QUOTE]

I agree Aluminum does not have a fatigue\endurance limit like steel, however the strenght of the aluminum will decline with usage, when I was refering to "soft" I was speaking where the, I have seen bottle bosses, front mech etc falling off, (first one happended to me on a lovely machine:()

Sorry if "soft" was mis-leading

Good article but also not something I considered. Definitely got me thinking about how a bike has been ridden and cared for by previous owners. Thanks.

Advertisement