Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do they call pawn shops in Ireland?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭

You know those shops where you can buy 2nd hand stuff, and they buy used items from you. In other countries they call them pawn shops, but when I google site:ie pawn shops, I can't find them. I wanna ring a few of them up to see if I can find a 2nd hand MP3 player, rather than go into town and walking into them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Strange - when I google it, this comes back as the very first link in the search results...

http://www.goldenpages.ie/pawn-shops/dublin-city-dublin-county/

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭BogMonkey

I got a bunch of yelp links for US cities. Thanks but most of the links on that page aren't actually pawn shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Rhand

There's a pawn shop on Talbot street and it is called .... Pawn Shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

BogMonkey wrote: »
    I got a bunch of yelp links for US cities. Thanks but most of the links on that page aren't actually pawn shops.

I didn't look at the links to be honest, but just noting that a search of "pawn shop dublin" gave back results for me & not you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

As said, definitely called 'pawn shops' or pawnbrowkers, you can see them dotted around Capel Street, Talbot Street & Marlborough Street (they have 3 gold balls as a sign). There's place on Liffey Street that might be a better bet than one of the older pawnshops, because I get the impression they more concentrate on jewellery, called the CEX Exchange that appears to be a pawnshop in all but name & concentrates on games, music & electronics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

There's loads of places.

Cash Converters are around the place.

CeX on Mary St. buy electrical goods so maybe try there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

Might be worth trying adverts.ie?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 656 ✭✭✭bobin fudge

to me, a pawn shop is where you hand in your jewellery and they value it and give you a ticket and some cash.

one on queen street, talbot street and capel street

I think you are describing a cash converters, one is/used to be on thomas street and CEX as mentioned on liffey street is quite good too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Something like 90% of what goes into a pawn shop as collateral is given back to the person as a majority of Irish repay their loan.

It's not like the us where people pawn their $30 microwave or anything that isn't fixed to the floor. Irish people pawn high value items. Theyre is even a pawn shop on Ely place that deals in High worth individuals.

Your far more likely to see a €10,000 Rolex in a pawn shop than a €150. Try adverts.ie for a iPod but make sure it's not stolen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,423 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There was a piece on the radio a year or two ago. It seems that there are only three or so proper pawn shops left in Dublin.

Property not retrieved by the original owner legally has to go to auction, with Herman & Wilkinson in Rathmines doing a lot of the auctioning of high-end things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭bb1234567

cash 4 gold

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Thommmaaas Geeeeaaar Heeere

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Lad Of Banter

Cash Converters: Convertin' your cash into our cash.

Advertisement