Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can one get a double switch, one dimmer on it?

Options
  • 11-04-2013 11:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭

I currently have a double dimmer switch on the living room. One for the centre ceiling rose light, the other for 5 E27 spotlight downlighters.
    Having recently got new insulation fitted above the ceiling (downlight covers fitted), I would like to change the spotlights to LED. As they are rarely used and if they are they are on full for reading etc, I would like to change the switch so that the spotlights are on a standard on/off switch and the centre ceiling light is still on a dimmer. I cannot seem to find one that will fit the same wall socket.

Also, where at the moment is the place to buy these LED spotlights. I have looked through the LED thread but there is a lot of info to get through.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

you have two obvious options.
    1, replace one of the curent dimmer modules with an on/off only dimmer module.
    @ a cost of appox 8.50 euro

2, buy a 2 gang grid switch with one switch module and one dimmer module.
    @ a cost of approx 23.06 euro.

led lamps can be got in any wholesaler, they range in price from 7.50 up to around 20 euro plus vat
    if you have the r60 or r80 type downlighters you can get an adaptor type fitting that will take a gu-10led or low voltage led lamp.
    the old r60/80 downlighters have a much larger cut out then normal halogen fittings

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭batman1

Do you mean replace the module on one of the existing dimmers to one of these :
    http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/VLSM.html
    if you have the r60 or r80 type downlighters you can get an adaptor type fitting that will take a gu-10led or low voltage led lamp.
    the old r60/80 downlighters have a much larger cut out then normal halogen fittings

I don't quite get what you mean here. :o
    Do yo mean that my existing light fittings in the ceiling can have an adaptor piece fitted into them so that GU10 bulbs can be used in them?

The cut-out is quite large in the ceiling alright.
    Will replacing the existing spot bulbs with the equivalent fitting in LED suffice?

2, buy a 2 gang grid switch with one switch module and one dimmer module.
    @ a cost of approx 23.06 euro.

led lamps can be got in any wholesaler, they range in price from 7.50 up to around 20 euro plus vat

yes that is the type i was refering to.

with respect to the fittings you have,you mentioned they are es type, which i presume either take a r60 or an r80 bulb.
    r80 and r60 led bulbs are few and far between, the other option is to fit a gu-10 fitting that is designed to replace the r60/80 fitting and use a gu-10 led lamp, of which you have a lot more options to purchase them.

I see now what you mean. Could I replace the exisiting spotlights in the ceiling fitting with these :

http://www.ledbulbs.ie/led-featured/led-globe-e27-7w-40w.html

Or, do I have to change the fitting?

Changing the fittings would be a nightmare as 3 of them have had downlight covers fitted and are covered in insulation so perhaps getting the connector down through the ceiling might not be possible anymore without opening up attics and a lot of messing.

the pic of the bulb you posted is of an led gls replacement.
    more the likely your lamp is an es or and ses reflector and is shaped similar but the crown of the lamp is flatter, if you google led reflector or cfl reflector. if you could post a pic of the fitting cause im basing this on the description in your op.
    Also if putting in led it would be a good idea to change that circut to a switch, the led lamps, unless they are dimmable dont like regular dimmers, and even if you do buy a dimmable led lamp you probably would need a trailing edge dimmer anyway.

• Advertisement

The ceiling fitting I have is the same as this one, in white:

http://www.adverts.ie/fixtures-fittings/lytlec-recessed-downlight/1149918

The exisiting bulbs are these

http://www.lamps-on-line.com/cheap-lighting/r64-240v-60w-e27.html

yep, thats what i thought, philips do some decent led retro fit lamps in an r63. there are probably more options curently in cfl as a replacement but led seems to be even replacing them.

My main aim is to replace the bulbs so that less heat is generated inside the ceiling, after my insulation installer recommended it. There are covers fitted but it got me thinking about saving leccy too.
    I personally would like to remove the lights and fill the holes but 'she who must be obeyed' won't let me.
    The lights are rarely used.

I tried ringing philips to get a price,waiting on the ep to ring me back.
    i reckon they will be expensive.
    we keep a cfl version, but like all cfl's they take a while to get to full brightness.
    if there not going to be used a lot probably just aswell to stick in the cheapest alternative you can find.

Advertisement