Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divinity Original Sin Kickstarter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Glebee

Saw this on g2play for 18.66 really interested in it , looks awesome, is it really tough though?

Tough game in parts alright. I've seen it cheaper than that. It's been out a while at this stage.

I gave up on it in the end. Went back to play after a break and could not figure out what I had to do so just gave up I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Glebee wrote: »
    Tough game in parts alright. I've seen it cheaper than that. It's been out a while at this stage.

I gave up on it in the end. Went back to play after a break and could not figure out what I had to do so just gave up I'm afraid.

I did the same. It was ok, not great. I got kinda lost while playing it. I reckon I was pretty close to the end too but started playing Wasteland 2. I went back to try and finish it but gave up quick enough. Just couldn't be arsed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Saw this on g2play for 18.66 really interested in it , looks awesome, is it really tough though?

If you're looking for something different check out Dead State. Part RPG/Management/Zombie Survival...a Commodore 64 old school feel with it fair share of bugs but its extremely well written, funny and addictive.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

It's probably my GOTY 2014. It's such a fun RPG to play, multiplayer. You control two, your partner does the same. The mechanics make it. So, to answer the question - is it worth it? Of course it is.

It's probably my GOTY 2014. It's such a fun RPG to play, multiplayer. You control two, your partner does the same. The mechanics make it. So, to answer the question - is it worth it? Of course it is.

I really don't understand how the multiplayer could actually be good in this. Surely you miss half the story if your both running around. Or one person is reading faster. It sounds weird

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

It's tough if you approach some fights in the wrong way. Going head on at every enemy probably won't work. You can set up traps and stuff before you initiate combat which can make a tough fight easy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Cheers for all the reply lads

Any ideas where the cheapest place to get this would be?

Cheers for all the reply lads

Any ideas where the cheapest place to get this would be?

I usually check allkeyshop for the cheapest Steam keys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭Glebee

Went back to give it one final go before quitting and actually got the story line back on track. Very near the end but no way would I have been able to complete without a walkthrough guide. made me realise that this type of game is why I got into PC gaming in the first place. Aside from all the Baldur Gate, Icewind Dale, etc games any other more recent game like this that I might have missed out on. I seem to recall like Icewind Dale more than Baldurs gate for some reason also..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Glebee wrote: »
    Went back to give it one final go before quitting and actually got the story line back on track. Very near the end but no way would I have been able to complete without a walkthrough guide. ..

Difficulty is good. Obtuse and abstract is not when it's required to progress. Not being good at something is a player issue absolutely, but if a player is crap at a game he can still play it. If you cant complete a game without a walkthrough, it's the games fault, not yours.

Obscure quests and tricky puzzles have their place absolutely, but they should be side missions for those who cant figure them out. There is nothing more frustrating than wanting to play the game, but not knowing what the game requires you to do.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still tempted by this :)

Still tempted by this :)

Get it. It's quite good despite it's faults.

I thought it was very good. Its faults for me are just the nature of this kind of game; I've no interest in managing all the skills and items even though I did enjoy the battle system immensely.

I thought it was very good. Its faults for me are just the nature of this kind of game; I've no interest in managing all the skills and items even though I did enjoy the battle system immensely.

Thought the skills were fine, but the inventory was an utter chore. I think the devs have even acknowledged this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I really don't understand how the multiplayer could actually be good in this. Surely you miss half the story if your both running around. Or one person is reading faster. It sounds weird

Yeah, I know what you mean. I suppose it depends on your and your partner being communicative and letting each other know what's going on, and what's up with dialogue. I play it with a lad in England from my guild and it's ten times more fun than my single player game. I don't know why, it could be nothing to do with multiplayer and just that we get on and I understand the game a bit more. All I can say is I heartily recommend it.

Anyone ever buy from gaming dragons before? also if you buy a key that says "steam gift" can they ban your account?

Anyone ever buy from gaming dragons before? also if you buy a key that says "steam gift" can they ban your account?

The latter part - I've done that a ton of times, I don't think it's an issue. As far as I know using a VPN is the one thing that they don't like and could get you banned.

Not sure on that site you mention though, never used them.

The latter part - I've done that a ton of times, I don't think it's an issue. As far as I know using a VPN is the one thing that they don't like and could get you banned.

Not sure on that site you mention though, never used them.

Just wondering because on g2play they have a notice saying buy this gift at your own risk basically.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

This has been announced for PS4 and XB1 now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

A sequel has been announced.
    It is with great excitement that we can announce our most ambitious project ever – Divinity: Original Sin 2!

For a very long time we’ve dreamed of making a certain type of RPG. Something even bigger, better, and more engaging than Divinity: Original Sin. Now it might finally be within our reach. But we can’t reach that dream without your help.
    As we made Divinity: Original Sin, our fans and community gave us two things: the freedom to make the game that we wanted to make, and the guidance to make a game that was even better than we planned. Your feedback pushed us in directions we never could have expected, and we’re so grateful for that push. Without the community, Divinity: Original Sin would never have been the success that it was, and now we’re asking for your support and guidance once again.

On the August 26th we’ll be returning to Kickstarter with Divinity: Original Sin 2, but you don’t have to wait until then to have your say. We’ll want a lot of feedback as we progress, but right now we want to know what YOU want from the Kickstarter campaign. So please head over to our Divinity: Original Sin 2 page to suggest what rewards you’d like to see, and vote on the rewards that others have suggested!

We’re very excited for you to get your first glimpse at what we’re creating, but if you’re going to be at PAX Prime at the end of August then we can go one better, We’ll be at booth #6011, where we’ll have a playable prototype for you to get your hands on and experience some of the fantastic new features that we’ve been working on.
    Making Divinity: Original Sin with you has been one hell of a ride so far, and we’re happy to say that this ride is only getting started…

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If they can get a similar budget, i'd have high hopes for this. The 1st was very good (though i didn't play it for that long), and if they use the experience of making that, along with feedback from the community, they could make a brilliant game based on what they already have.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Is it common to do a kickstarter for a sequel to such a recent game? Would have thought they wouldn't need one considering the first game appears to have been a success.

Its free money..... and another way to get people to "pre-order" the game. It's a no brainer to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

But does it not go against the "ethos" of what Kickstarter is supposed to be? A mechanism to pull in funding for an idea what would be unlikely to get conventional backing.

Surely they have finance in place now to go it alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

quarryman wrote: »
    But does it not go against the "ethos" of what Kickstarter is supposed to be? A mechanism to pull in funding for an idea what would be unlikely to get conventional backing.

Looking at a few numbers from the blogpost by Larian founder Swen Vincke back in 2014 and a few bits of info from the more recent GamesIndustry.biz piece here, I'd wager no. Sure, they'll have money in the bank but enough to fund the development of a sequel without getting a publisher involved? Doubtful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've no problem with them doing it anyway. The first one was a pretty great example of how Kickstarter can work (i.e way over their target, way better than expected), and that alone should justify them doing a 2nd one. Hopefully it's as successful, and they can make an even better game.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

quarryman wrote: »

It's all about incentive. Waggle free money in someone's face and they will find a way to grab it. I can't say I blame them, though I must say it seems a little cheeky to come begging from your player base when your first game was so successful.

If you have it on PC its free to buy on console? How does that work?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I don't get the whole "free money" line. I mean, it's basically pre-sales for the game to fund development, revenue that would have been earned anyway from actual sales once the game launched.

That point aside, is this approach still not better than them being tied to a publisher and their whims with regards content, features and concrete release dates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Kickstarter for the sequel is up now, they are looking for 500k, which should not take long to reach.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin-2

Advertisement