Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

chalk marks outside home indicate marked for theft

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Dunno about that boss :P

I think we must be having a little telepathic episode :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I'm not sure the gangs operating in our parts are that sophisticated, or even communicate well enough to share geo locations that way. My guess is they grunt, nod, or spit at each other.

And sat nav in rural parts is famously crap, BTW.

No its not.
    If I rock up to your house selling gates, or tools, or looking for directions, and I see a nice quad bike or trailer or an open shed with power tools, all I have to do is "save my location" on the Sat Nav and it'll bring anyone right back to your gate.Guaranteed.
    Save a dozen good "spots" and pass the sat Nav to some one else. Impossible to link me to your burgled house, cause I wasn't there...

I've done it myself, if I see a car with a"for sale" sign or whatever and want to go back and look at it etc, etc or to find apace on holidays again..

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

I put the "nothing worth stealing one" outside my gaf.

And a huge X outside my cnuty neighbours.

article-0-1BA21509000005DC-758_634x529.jpg

probably not the worst chalk lines you could find out side your house.

th?id=OIP.Mb07aea5c418496c108d4f11510f99fe8o0&pid=15.1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

I think we must be having a little telepathic episode :)

We all know the story just not allowed to say it :P

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    No its not.
    If I rock up to your house selling gates, or tools, or looking for directions, and I see a nice quad bike or trailer or an open shed with power tools, all I have to do is "save my location" on the Sat Nav and it'll bring anyone right back to your gate.Guaranteed.
    Save a dozen good "spots" and pass the sat Nav to some one else. Impossible to link me to your burgled house, cause I wasn't there...

That's why we're all extra vigilant. There have been no prior calls to houses that have already been burglared.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Yeah I know, our area is in the same state of alert. If you changed the van, its guaranteed a neighbour will have took notice of your reg. within a day or so, and asked around till its known that "that's X, he has a Berlingo now" etc.
    Trouble is, unless you have CCTV, you cant be sure that no one called at some stage.
    Couple of robberies around here one night before Christmas, and no one saw a thing. The one house with CCTV, they had balaclavas and the numberplate covered.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah I know, our area is in the same state of alert. If you changed the van, its guaranteed a neighbour will have took notice of your reg. within a day or so, and asked around till its known that "that's X, he has a Berlingo now" etc.
    Trouble is, unless you have CCTV, you cant be sure that no one called at some stage.
    Couple of robberies around here one night before Christmas, and no one saw a thing. The one house with CCTV, they had balaclavas and the numberplate covered.

Nothing much we can do alright. Except trying to have someone at home for most of the time. I don't think there have been any instances of break ins when people were home so far, thankfully.

Nothing much we can do alright. Except trying to have someone at home for most of the time. I don't think there have been any instances of break ins when people were home so far, thankfully.

Have you looked into them wireless motion cameras that you can send images to a smartphone ? You can even set up that kind of stuff to go to your phone for the elderly neighbours. Stuff is pretty cheap. Well cheaper than the burglary.

That's more Mr M's domain tbh, but i think he had something like that for inside. He's on the case anyway so, we're overdue a security update at this stage.

That's more Mr M's domain tbh, but i think he had something like that for inside. He's on the case anyway so, we're overdue a security update at this stage.

I work in IT so unfortunately sometimes I don't remember everyone is not on the same level. It's about the best thing you can do tbh at this stage. ESP will all the rural Garda now gone. Hopefully it will get to a stage the Garda in the Rural Areas will setup a drone network once they become cheaper. Also why I'm up a weird hours :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a good few driveways in my estate were chalk marked last night at some stage between 9pm to 10am this morning.

Seems to be an X in yellow chalk outside a good few of the houses. By coincidence herself is off next week, we are fully alarmed with large dog, and have extra security locks on the sliding door etc. so are about as prepared as we can be.

Will alert the gardai and the neighbours today.

Cork Area just outside the city.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but a good few driveways in my estate were chalk marked last night at some stage between 9pm to 10am this morning.

Seems to be an X in yellow chalk outside a good few of the houses. By coincidence herself is off next week, we are fully alarmed with large dog, and have extra security locks on the sliding door etc. so are about as prepared as we can be.

Will alert the gardai and the neighbours today.

Cork Area just outside the city.

did you not read the thread ? or google this ? or see it in the media ? or ask anyone ?

its not travellers its utilities companys most likely irish water

I would say it's more likely to be Openeir running new ducting for FTTH.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    did you not read the thread ? or google this ? or see it in the media ? or ask anyone ?

its not travellers its utilities companys most likely irish water
    Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it can be linked with burglary .

They popped out and took a look and have decided they will pop into the estate as part of their routine visits in the area for the next few. Weeks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Why would they bother with chalk, a drop of rain and it's gone, they could just take photos on their phones and geo tag them to know exactly where to rob, they could then send them around to each other for maximum theftage.

Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it is linked with burglary
    If you're concerned about them, get together with the neighbours and wash them away.
    Problem solved, may piss off whoever put them there though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Irish Water doing it overnight on a Saturday / Sunday morning ? I was working on the car in the driveway all yesterday and it wasn't there. I spoke to the gardai on the phone about it and they confirmed it can be linked with burglary .

They popped out and took a look and have decided they will pop into the estate as part of their routine visits in the area for the next few. Weeks

bolloxs

if a garda told you that then he is an idiot

scare mongering by rag news papers and idiots

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-35337747

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Call the special branch, what you've found is a special crinnimal language only known by crinnimals you see. Based on extremely complex letters and glyphs to tell the next lad whats the craic with the house.

Oh no, actually it isn't, it's either a utility company or someone acting the bollox.

mynamejeff wrote: »
    bolloxs

if a garda told you that then he is an idiot

scare mongering by rag news papers and idiots

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-35337747

Thanks for that link , it certainly wasn't one of the first to come up on Google for me .

Actually had a more sensible Garda call into the estate while ago and had a word with him. He said he has seen it a few times where the Irish water lads will come around at first light to avoid any potential harresment , he does find it odd that it's done in chalk and that the markings don't align to where you would expect the water pipes to be buried in relation to the meter.

He reaffirmed they will purposely pop into the estate when on their regular patrols .

• Advertisement

If you're concerned about them, get together with the neighbours and wash them away.
    Problem solved, may piss off whoever put them there though.

The marks are inside the property line 1-2ft into the driveway , if they wanted to leave their marks untouched they should of stayed on the footpath or road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

They sure had a great dry summer with their chalk.

I heard they are now using a burgular ap. Is there a way to check if your house is digitally flagged? That’s the way things are going for sure

I may just get a vault for the gaff though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Some Gardai can be terribly stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Saw a yellow one this evening up the street - terrace of townhouses. Even though it's rainy for a few hours, it wasn't faded at all.

Anyone know what it's actually for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

Saw a yellow one this evening up the street - terrace of townhouses. Even though it's rainy for a few hours, it wasn't faded at all.

Anyone know what it's actually for?

Probably "road paint" can look like chalk. Used primarily by utility companies to mark where work should take place for something.

Chances are an engineer has selected the spot for something and the works team then arrive a couple of days later.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 6,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭PerrinV2

Cross symbol outside on the wall, new enough housing estate,we're getting robbed ya?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭Bracken81

Robbed or getting Broadband or Gas or Water or Electricity

As if anyone wants to break in and take your €300 TV 🤣

People

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

What colour chalk?

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Lads it's not the 1800s and groups of travelling highwaymen and vagabonds aren't looking to steal your cow.

They can text each other.

Post edited by super_furry on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Have you ever tried texting anyone while robbing a cow ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Thinking of leaving random chalk marks around estates just to wind people up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,603 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

That's actually a great idea, and to make it sweeter you could even make a bit of extra cash by selling drugs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭10-10-20

A robbery would be cheaper than paying for those in the long-run. 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,105 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Looks like my neighbour is going to get robbed. A great big pink knob was drawn on his wall. I might grab the popcorn and a seat and see how this pans out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

No, but it's the 2020's and grown ups have little else to be doing than spreading nonsense on facebook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

10 years in the making, finally the credit I deserve.

Advertisement