Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Street Fighter: Assassin's Fist

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

A million dollars in 22 days? I'm not sure that's feasible, much as I want it to be... maybe I'll throw some money in though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I remember seeing this back when it came out, and kinda being in awe at the fact that Ken looks so much like he did in SFII. Just look at the Ken-ish nose! I'd be more than happy to see a series of webisodes coming out of this. It would be cool if SF had something to rival the MK:Legacy show.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

If Hollywood can throw $50 million at this piece of excremement
    Legend_of_chun_li.jpg

I think we, the guys who've played and loved Street Fighter with a passion for the past four years, practically OWE a good film maker that money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Nascimento

Oh wow, that actually wasn't terrible.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭TheMikenyan

Watched it in its entirety last night. It is excellent.

Really good, although I thought the ending was a little weak!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Really good, although I thought the ending was a little weak!
    Same. Really excellent show (though the episode in the bar was pretty weak and out of place despite cameos).

The whole show was building to that one moment and then CUT. It felt like I just watched the ending to the episode before the season finale. There was no strength to that ending at all.

One neat touch that I really liked was the stance they use when learning hadoukens - it's a slightly modified version of Dan's idle in Street Fighter 4. He does that whole exaggerated motion before snapping into the more standard Akuma stance of one arm out in front while standing on his toes.

It's like saying that Dan never fully mastered even the most basic of Ansatsuken techniques and needs to constantly do the beginner steps while in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Overall I thought it was quite good. I love that they kept the timeline and set it in the 80's. That NES Mega Man scene was fantastic :pac:

The acting from Ryu and Ken was suspect at times but they really look the part so I'll forgive it. I thought the guy playing old Gouken did a great job though.

I had the same feeling as regards the ending. I was sure there would be one more episode but it just leaves you hanging.

I have to take a different stance on the bar episode though. It was my favourite out of the bunch. I'd never even considered that Ryu and Ken could be real people before that. But something as simple as them just going out for a few drinks makes it immediately plausible. I thought it was inspired.

And that cameo just made my day! :D

• Advertisement

Rob2D wrote: »
    I have to take a different stance on the bar episode though. It was my favourite out of the bunch. I'd never even considered that Ryu and Ken could be real people before that. But something as simple as them just going out for a few drinks makes it immediately plausible. I thought it was inspired.
    Yeah, I realized my complaint would probably be taken wrong, but I was too lazy to fix it :P

Basically my complaint isn't with them going to a bar - I thought it was a really neat idea to see them in a different scenario like that. However, it didn't feel on the same quality as the rest of the show and felt much more like a typical fan movie than an episode of the show.
    It felt to me that it was filmed specifically to fit the cameo in rather than written to have any meaningful addition to the storyline.

Also, they walked some distance to get to that second dojo! That's like 350km.

KkfoVuN.png

I live in Yamanashi, the prefecture just above Shizuoka so I was all "teehee I know that place"

The bar episode was clearly a tribute to Street Fighter V. When I saw the squaddies I actually thought "Oh ****, Guile's gonna show up and own them!"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

WTF is with the number of raw ultras? Fracking scrubs.

Enjoyed that an awful. It was well done and the little fan nods were great (Ono, music, a lot of the moves being represented)

I don't see the issue with the ending, assuming that it's a season 1 ending. If that's it forever, I will feel robbed.

Orim wrote: »
    WTF is with the number of raw ultras? Fracking scrubs.

Enjoyed that an awful. It was well done and the little fan nods were great (Ono, music, a lot of the moves being represented)

I don't see the issue with the ending, assuming that it's a season 1 ending. If that's it forever, I will feel robbed.

TBF Gotetsu clearly thought Akuma was dizzied and thought demon didn't have invincibility frames.

TBF Gotetsu clearly thought Akuma was dizzied and thought demon didn't have invincibility frames.

Fair enough but what about Ryu? He's crouching so ultra? Deserved that shoryu to the face.

Also surprised we didn't see an appearance from Gen. I know he was called out at some stage but still.

Orim wrote: »
    Fair enough but what about Ryu? He's crouching so ultra? Deserved that shoryu to the face.

Also surprised we didn't see an appearance from Gen. I know he was called out at some stage but still.

I think they were definitely leaving a LOT of room for appearances in the second season if it happens. Dan, Guile, Gen (missed that one tbh) at the bare minimum teased.

Also, Goma has GOT to be someone.

I thought Goma was Gen for ages. Unless there is more flashbacks then it seems Gen would've fit better in the Akuma origin section. I guess we're going to see a more SF2 leaning story in season 2 so I can't see where he'll fit.

I think they were definitely leaving a LOT of room for appearances in the second season if it happens. Dan, Guile, Gen (missed that one tbh) at the bare minimum teased.

Also, Goma has GOT to be someone.
    Notice that Goma has one of the Ansatsuken name plates hanging around his neck, and there was that very heavy Chekov's Gun name drop of Gotetsu's brother being consumed by Satsui no Hado and vanishing forever. Can't quite remember if Gotetsu's brother's nameplate was one of the ones missing from the wall.

Gen was mentioned way back at the start as the one that taught Gouken the Way of Nothingness when he went on his warrior's journey.

I'm honestly really impressed with how they restrained themselves from name dropping so many people. Prequels have a tendency to toss in way too many nods everywhere, but this only mentioned people that made sense, with a tangental and very logical opening to introduce Guile later on.

From what I remember, the directors said they would be interested in introducing Guile and Chun Li in the next one if they get there.

Side tangent:
    Another thing I thought was pretty neat was how Gotetsu was shown to have successfully balanced the dark and light aspects of Satsui no Hado, but then both Goki and Gouken took each half to absolute extremes.
    Nothing new there really, but it was still nicely presented.

Goutetsu also happened to look supremely badass.

Gotetsu will be released as Gouken wearing a mask in USF4's DLC pack, coming next year :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

the beads..
    on akuma before he kills his master..??

the beads..
    on akuma before he kills his master..??

Are they? He very distinctly takes them off Gotetsu after the demon.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭jimmypenguin

yup and he has them on him in a tiny scene in his cave meditating.
    only inconsistency i noticed..

is goki ryus da?

yup and he has them on him in a tiny scene in his cave meditating.
    only inconsistency i noticed..

is goki ryus da?

There's a non canon film in which he is indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Macal

I thought it was kind of odd for them to show Akuma in the old dojo with Gouken and then tell the story of how Goki became Akuma. It kind of killed the hype of seeing his gradual transformation when we've already seen Akuma.

They've been discussing a potential series 2, saying it would revolve around Chun Li and Guile. Awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

I'm about four or five episodes into this so far, and I'm loving it. Much better than I expected. I think season II of MK: Legacy left a bad taste in my mouth for this kinda show, but Street Fighter: AF is a fine mouthwash indeed. I reckon I'll record a Quick Hit video about it next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

/Not a fighting game thread.

Watched this last night and was amazed at how good it was.

Seen the 1st web series a while ago and then waited for the movie edit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_Fighter:_Assassin's_Fist

Really well done and looking forward to the next set.

Advertisement