Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is this

Options
  • 11-04-2013 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I recently bought a second hand tank and the seller give me this with it
    I took no notice until I got home but have no idea what it is can anyone spread some light on it

?ui=2&ik=44138735b1&view=att&th=13df8d32658f6a6f&attid=0.1&disp=thd&realattid=1432018337107279872-1&zw

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

nothing attached

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

godtabh wrote: »
    nothing attached

strange I can see the pic , will try again

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

campo wrote: »
    strange I can see the pic , will try again

its an air pump. can u plug it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

kelledy wrote: »
    its an air pump. can u plug it in?[/quote

Yes I can the tank is 80l but the hoses seemed very to long to fit in it plus does blue part go in tank or stay outside and lastly what benefit does it bring to tank

Cheers for telling me what it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

You can cut the hose to make it shorter. The blue part stays out of the water and should be placed above the water level to stop it siphoning water out of the tank if it fails. If you want to place it under the tank you need to get a non return valve.

There is no real benefit to using them apart from aesthetics. They will cause surface agitation which will improve oxygen exchange but if your filter out take is skimming the surface it will do the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Tropheus

You could attach it to a sponge filter if you don't already have a filter. However, they are noisy. The bubbles create the noise more so than the pump itself.

Advertisement