Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness is not good for Waterford

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Diageo is closing the Mary Street facility by the end of the year.

In 2003 they spent 40 million on the upgrade.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Any link Mike?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

How many people work there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Only WLR headline at 1 pm.

Twitter has some stuff from Mary Roche going back a day or two. Looks like this was coming since they announced a review of their Irish ops.
    How many people work there?

20 something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Another eye sore like R&H hall and Jurys..

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I always thought it was quite a few more worked there. Sad news for all concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Sorry for going off topic but a politician commented on the Vincent Byrne show the other night said to open up even a small business store, the owner would need no less then 23 different licences!

The cost of doing business in this country is one of the main reasons why businesses are closing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sorry to hear that, my grandfather worked there. He was so proud evertime we came over the bridge to say he worked there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

I love the smell that comes out of that place some days, something I always associate with coming over the bridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Given the nature of the plant you'd have to wonder what they can do with it, other than take it down and sell it for parts. Maybe someone else fancies starting a "not that micro-brewery"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Desperate news for Waterford again, I was just thinking how good it is though to see Dungarvan brew co. appear in more pubs in Waterford.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 jackfrostwins

Guinness is made from treated tap water(fluoride etc),whereas our Dungarvan brew is toxin free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Bards

ON RTE Website http://www.rte.ie/news/2013/0411/380907-diageo-waterford/

Diageo has announced that it will cease operations at its Waterford brewery by the end of this year, with the loss of 21 jobs.

The drinks company said it plans to transfer all of its operations to its brewery at St James's Gate in Dublin.

However, there will be no additional jobs at St James's Gate.

In a statement this afternoon, Diageo said it had made the decision after a review of how it can "best ensure the long-term sustainability and global competitiveness of ... brewing operations in Ireland".

It added: "The company will now engage in formal consultation with the relevant representative bodies on the implementation of the proposal."

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Just so people in Waterford don't feel left out, Smithwicks in Kilkenny is also gone in December with the loss of i believe 44 jobs......300 years of brewing in Kilkenny gone.

So its Diageo cutting jobs across the board. Not fun for anyone :(

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

So its up to the IDA to push people towards this site now but it may be a difficult site to sell as its a brewery so not many can locate there. With a similar Brewery in Kilkenny having departed, that’s two brewery’s that need a tenant. It might be a tough ask to get someone into them when two separate companies stopped brewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Sully wrote: »
    So its up to the IDA to push people towards this site now but it may be a difficult site to sell as its a brewery so not many can locate there. With a similar Brewery in Kilkenny having departed, that’s two brewery’s that need a tenant. It might be a tough ask to get someone into them when two separate companies stopped brewing.

Wasn't there plans to do something with a museum there a few years back ?!
    Or was I dreaming 😳

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Nypd wrote: »
    Wasn't there plans to do something with a museum there a few years back ?!
    Or was I dreaming 😳

Not a bad idea but I suspect the cost would be high. A mini-Guinness museum outside of Dublin, but they might not like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭anndub

Guinness isn't brewed in Kilkenny so a museum may well be an option that will be explored. It would be very different to The Storehouse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

I seriously hope Guinness drinkers will now decide not to drink Guinness in response to this, Why support someone who takes jobs away, Beamish in Cork did the same and it was a huge thing, how many years was that brewed there yet all the locals stayed loyal to the brewers and drank the very beer that took away their livelyhoods!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To Arthur.........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Get out and support metalman and dungarvan folks. best beer around no doubt.

• Advertisement

Max Powers wrote: »
    Get out and support metalman and dungarvan folks. best beer around no doubt.

I also heard it was 36 jobs not 20 something, and yeah support these guys instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Cabaal wrote: »
    Just so people in Waterford don't feel left out, Smithwicks in Kilkenny is also gone in December with the loss of i believe 44 jobs......300 years of brewing in Kilkenny gone.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

I seriously hope Guinness drinkers will now decide not to drink Guinness in response to this, Why support someone who takes jobs away,

Are you actually serious? You'd swear Diageo were taking away jobs for the sheer craic, you come out with some ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Cabaal wrote: »

So its Diageo cutting jobs across the board. Not fun for anyone :(
    Yeah but they haven't actually made Smithwicks in Kilkenny for years. I think they've just handled Budweiser for a number of years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

Why didn't minster brutal come down and announce this closure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

I seriously hope Guinness drinkers will now decide not to drink Guinness in response to this, Why support someone who takes jobs away, Beamish in Cork did the same and it was a huge thing, how many years was that brewed there yet all the locals stayed loyal to the brewers and drank the very beer that took away their livelyhoods!

Just because they close a place doesnt mean i will stop drinking it i like Guinness :) and if people did stop using their products just because of that then they would stop drinking Bud, Guinness, Carlsberg, Tuborg, Smithwicks, and tons more so i doubt that will happen. Diageo pretty much have a monoply on the drinks trade they will do as they please.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭kayaksurfbum

Guinness is made from treated tap water(fluoride etc),whereas our Dungarvan brew is toxin free.

Proof???

The brewery in waterford is in that location because of the natureal spings that come out of the rocks. They only used the council supply to wash the pipes.

The old brewhouse in Waterford is older then james gate. It would be to small for a museum If you ask me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

heres hoping someone takes it over and starts making hoffmans again

funkyouup wrote: »
    Are you actually serious? You'd swear Diageo were taking away jobs for the sheer craic, you come out with some ****e.

Jaysus i was just sacked by Diageo what will i do with the last 20 euro in my pocket oh yeah i will give it to Diageo!

There are other alcohols on the market, Jesus who says Irish people have a drink problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

wellboy76 wrote: »
    Why didn't minster brutal come down and announce this closure.
    and kenny too the good news hijacking jackels,

they invest 30 million 8 years ago now they pull the plug , hope there is a boycott of their marketing ploy Aurthers day 2013 in waterford at least.......

Advertisement