Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness is not good for Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

A minor historical fact, the very first time the Internet was demonstrated to the Irish business community was in the board room of Cherry's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Crickey! Wonder how many times they had to dial up*.

*ask your parents!

mike65 wrote: »
    Crickey! Wonder how many times they had to dial up*.
    Back when the sounds of a modem handshake were like Beethoven to our ears :P

It actually took awhile but we got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Guinness is made from treated tap water(fluoride etc),whereas our Dungarvan brew is toxin free.

right.... is there no alcohol in the Dungarvan brew then? Cause alcohol is a toxin. But yeah, the tap water is what I'd be worried about when drinking a rake of pints...

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭jennygirl

Desperate news for Waterford again, I was just thinking how good it is though to see Dungarvan brew co. appear in more pubs in Waterford.

Metalman is Waterford city own beer, made in Tycor, created by Grainne Walsh and her staff of 4 - Support her Brand, Waterfords Brand... she produces a range of beers inc a lager, all preservitave free and made locally. if you local does not stock it, ask why not, and keep asking until they do!
    Support local jobs, spend your money in Waterford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

jennygirl wrote: »
    Metalman is Waterford city own beer, made in Tycor, created by Grainne Walsh and her staff of 4 - Support her Brand, Waterfords Brand... she produces a range of beers inc a lager, all preservitave free and made locally. if you local does not stock it, ask why not, and keep asking until they do!

+1! And the thing is it's not even a matter of supporting it just because it's from Waterford. It's actually one of the nicest beers I've ever tried (and I'm a beer snob!). The Metalman Pale Ale won the Beoir (Irish Craft Brewers Association) Beer of the Year award last month.

I appreciate the Pale Ale mightn't be to everyone's taste but they do a range of beers, and I'd recommend people at least try them, you might just be surprised!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

old gregg wrote: »
    A minor historical fact, the very first time the Internet was demonstrated to the Irish business community was in the board room of Cherry's.

Just out of curiosity, what year are we talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Beamish in Cork did the same and it was a huge thing, how many years was that brewed there yet all the locals stayed loyal to the brewers and drank the very beer that took away their livelyhoods!

Weren't Beamish taken over by Heineken and both Beamish and Murphy's brewed in the one location?

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what year are we talking?

You know, I sadly can't remember exactly. IOL had just been started and I gave the demonstration to local members of the Irish Management Institute. I suppose it was around 1993. Back when I started working with the 'net we were the 308th company in the world to have a web presence and were hosted on the Rolling Stones server in New York as I'd developed the first official Rolling Stones screensaver for Windows 3. Cool times on the Internet before the suits got greedy :) Nice to be semi-retired at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,583 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Pity more of the pubs dont stock the local beers. Tried the Metalman Pale recently and was very surprised how nice it was. Problem is the next bar minght not have it :(

Tycor,Dungarvan and Bagenalstown all have decent stuff id like to see more of in our pubs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

jennygirl wrote: »

Well said Jenny. I always ask for metalman or dungravan, i love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Global alignment of strategy's, lowcost main manufacturing point blah blah, it's all just a load of corporate speak for a company that want to make more money, nothing more, nothing less. Yet they'll have no hassle flying in UK acts for Arthurs day which is in fact just a huge free marketing day (partially) paid for Discover Ireland etc - I'm disgusted at this corporate attitude we see more and more lately, disgusted but not surprised. A lot of companies are using this recession as an excuse to squeeze margins, squeeze employees when in fact it's just for a bigger balance on the books not due to any short comings of the business.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Junior wrote: »
    Global alignment of strategy's, lowcost main manufacturing point blah blah, it's all just a load of corporate speak for a company that want to make more money, nothing more, nothing less. Yet they'll have no hassle flying in UK acts for Arthurs day which is in fact just a huge free marketing day (partially) paid for Discover Ireland etc - I'm disgusted at this corporate attitude we see more and more lately, disgusted but not surprised. A lot of companies are using this recession as an excuse to squeeze margins, squeeze employees when in fact it's just for a bigger balance on the books not due to any short comings of the business.

And what is wrong with a company trying to make more money?

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Its very depressing when you are coming into town from the Cork Rd. side passing the shell of what was once Waterford Crystal.
    Now at the end of this year you will have an other empty shell coming into town across the bridge when the Brewery ceases operations.
    I taught this place was safe for a good few years when such a major investment was made in 2004. The workers must feel very let down because they probably felt their jobs were safe.
    Spring water was always used in the brewing of beer at this plant since Strangmans first started brewing here many years ago. I will always remember the smell of the hops whenever I was in that part of town. Its hard to believe this is happening especially with all the new road infrastructure that was supposed to herald a new dawn to our town. I feel very sorry for all those who are about to lose their jobs when this plant closes and of course the knock on effect it will have to this part of town will not be very positive. By right as a form of protest we should only drink beer that has nothing to do with Diageo or better still drink our local brews and in time this might create more work that would make up for some of the job losses that are about to happen. I always say town even though we live in the oldest city in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Junior

Maybe wrong choice of words, or wrong expression of what I was thinking, maybe I should have rephrased it as Profit margin or an undying devotion to maximising profits without considering the actual human or historical context of what the decision means. In short how much profit is enough for a company - and some seem to think more and more is good regardless of how they make that extra 1%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

Junior wrote: »
    Maybe wrong choice of words, or wrong expression of what I was thinking, maybe I should have rephrased it as Profit margin or an undying devotion to maximising profits without considering the actual human or historical context of what the decision means. In short how much profit is enough for a company - and some seem to think more and more is good regardless of how they make that extra 1%

Companies exist to make a profit and nobody is forced to work for them.

Incidentally, there is no such a thing as a non-profit organization because even charities have to make a profit or they'll otherwise would go to the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Just looking on the KK page and looks like they got some money to make the brewery there some sort of visitor attraction. Sounds good for KK, hopefully something will happen in Waterford City site.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    And what is wrong with a company trying to make more money?

nothing, nothing at all. After all, that is the sole objective of a (commercial) company. However, I believe companies can chose to run their business with a sense of ethics and responsibility for the people who have shown loyalty and commitment to the company.
    We all know companies can close down offices and move to cheaper locations in an attempt to save a few beans but often that is just the lazy approach for the lazy fat cats in management. There are a raft of other options they could take (I won't bore ye with them here:D) but it's too much work and too risky for senior management to engage in such alternatives.

I work for an international company, family run to this day and despite us hitting a serious drop in revenue and orders about 5 years ago they did not shed one job. They cut salaries for a few years but in essence, we remained in gainful employment and that is what the ordinary decent worker is asking.

But Cherry's & Guinness is no longer (and hasn't been for years) and the Diageo monster is in place now.

And anyone who ever celebrated Arthur's day by spending at least a cent of their own money deserves a slap.

Max Powers wrote: »
    Just looking on the KK page and looks like they got some money to make the brewery there some sort of visitor attraction. Sounds good for KK, hopefully something will happen in Waterford City site.

KK are lucky with the location of the brewery, bang in the middle of the city/town/hamlet/whatever. Whereas the Waterford site isn't so central.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Roanmore wrote: »
    Weren't Beamish taken over by Heineken and both Beamish and Murphy's brewed in the one location?

Eh permission to speak? I have to be careful not to be accused of anything.

As far as i remember the Beamish plant in cork was closed with the loss of jobs so its not brewed there anymore, thats what i saw on the news a few years ago.

I know if i was let go from a job who wanted to cut costs to make more profit for the small few at the top who are already rich, That i wouldnt go back and buy their product, Do you think the people in Waterford who lost their jobs in Talk Talk would buy products from Talk Talk? I dont think so! jeese why would they not do that?
    Waterford is seriously being cripple by job loses and theres another place to close at the end of this month leaving more families on the bread line and looking for handouts from social welfare, the more jobs that go the harder it will be to find work, so excuse me if i think its a bad idea to support a company whos cutting jobs for their own financial gain when Waterford could so badly do with them. I know Diageo own alot of these brands but like the other posters say keep your money or spend it on the local beers who employ local families and are helping the local economy unlike Diageo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

What were they actually brewing there anyhow does anyone know?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Max Powers wrote: »

Yeah Kilkenny site is pretty central and it has the ruins of the church still in it so kind of lends itself to being turned into a visitor attraction because of this.

Hopefully something good will become of the site in Waterford, atleast its not too far away from the quays and bridge so thats something

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

What were they actually brewing there anyhow does anyone know?

Guinness "syrup". They export it, add it to cheap lager and hey presto, Guinness!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 jackfrostwins

jive wrote: »
    right.... is there no alcohol in the Dungarvan brew then? Cause alcohol is a toxin. But yeah, the tap water is what I'd be worried about when drinking a rake of pints...
    If your ingredients are tainted, the end product will be too.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Last time I checked there's far far far more proven factual peer reviewed research on the dangers and impacts of consuming alcohol when compared to fluoride. You can also see it by going to A&E any weekend you choose.

If you are worrying about very small trace amounts of fluoride in a drink that's say 4% alcohol then you are worrying about the wrong thing,

Its as silly as worrying about whats used to whiten the paper used in cigarettes but you don't see the issue with tar or nicotine,

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Cabaal wrote: »
    Last time I checked there's far far far more proven factual peer reviewed research on the dangers and impacts of consuming alcohol when compared to fluoride. You can also see it by going to A&E any weekend you choose.

If you are worrying about very small trace amounts of fluoride in a drink that's say 4% alcohol then you are worrying about the wrong thing,

Its as silly as worrying about whats used to whiten the paper used in cigarettes but you don't see the issue with tar or nicotine,

:rolleyes:

Agreed, people who drink alcohol probably dont care about the fluoride in it. but as far as the research goes there is alot of continuing research about the dangers of it so please dont dimiss it just yet!:)

the old "toxins in the beer" bullcrap again...alcohol kills brain cells, no matter who makes it.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Mr Tibbs

Yes Dungarvan beer is lovely but I'm ashamed to say I have never even seen Metalman beer. I don't live in town but after reading all the good comments about this beer I will keep an eye out for some. Would you ever see in in the Supermarket Off Licence.
    Remember when the brewery first started up in Waterford it was Strangmans, when they ceased trading it was taken over by Cherry's and then we had Guinness taking over. Since they took over they have reduced the workforce and automated the plant for efficiency but you know what ask any of the older generation about Guinness today and the Guinness of long ago and they will always say it tasted a lot better years ago. You would wonder are Guinness more interested in profit or the quality of their product. Look at Belgium, there are more micro brewery's there per head of population than any other country in Europe and Belgium beer is regarded as the best in Europe. So who knows if we give more support to the local brew Guinness just might get the message. I know companies are there to make a profit but image is also very important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

The plant is going to be cut up for scrap for commercial reasons! As happened with Kilkenny
    Wonder would Diageo donate the property to the City as it probably has no value in todays market and will cost them a fortune to keep security on it?
    Wonder would the City want or afford it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭crazy_kenny

wellboytoo wrote: »
    The plant is going to be cut up for scrap for commercial reasons! As happened with Kilkenny
    Wonder would Diageo donate the property to the City as it probably has no value in todays market and will cost them a fortune to keep security on it?
    Wonder would the City want or afford it?

Not if the local travellers don't get there first.

Advertisement