Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Guinness is not good for Waterford

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Roanmore

Eh permission to speak? I have to be careful not to be accused of anything.

When did I impinge your permission to speak? What did I accuse you of?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

No i was just being sarcastic, apparantly people have been traking the amount of posts that im making and criticising me for it, so i feel like i have to ask permission first;)

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Jaysus i was just sacked by Diageo what will i do with the last 20 euro in my pocket oh yeah i will give it to Diageo!

There are other alcohols on the market, Jesus who says Irish people have a drink problem.

The stupidest thing ive read all day, thanks for making me laugh though:)

funkyouup wrote: »
    The stupidest thing ive read all day, thanks for making me laugh though:)

Well if you cant go without Guinness or put alcohol above principals then thats a very sad to see. I cant go without alcohol? So i will support a company thats made 38 people redundant in a time when there are so few jobs, and i would thank you for making me laugh that you cannot go without alcohol and put it before you principals, says alot about a person to me.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well if you cant go without Guinness or put alcohol above principals then thats a very sad to see. I cant go without alcohol? So i will support a company thats made 38 people redundant in a time when there are so few jobs, and i would thank you for making me laugh that you cannot go without alcohol and put it before you principals, says alot about a person to me.

I agree with him. Your suggestion is completely daft. They served Waterford well for a long time now and they are a big employer in general. If their operations are being rowed back, so be it and thanks for all the fish. There is always this risk with big businesses and even smaller businesses relocating to keep costs low and profits high.

• Advertisement

Go without Guinness??? Alcohol above principals??? where are you getting this tripe from. You must be just A troll, surely you cant be serious.

So boycotting business that have to downsize is your solution is it, like i said THE stupidest thing ive read all day, possibly all week.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

And anyone who ever celebrated Arthur's day by spending at least a cent of their own money deserves a slap.

Follow your bliss and if that means enjoying a pint or two of Guinness do it sensibly.

Ethical investment is another thing altogether, first better to consider are we going to Department Stores to buy clothes made in sweat shops in the far east or coffee produced with almost none of the profits going to the producers of coffee beans.

Get down of our high horses and live in the real world. Diageo has been a good employer, our problem as a nation is that we believed the propaganda of the last Government " that we could have it all and no one would have to pay". For those with ears to hear let them hear that is the same populist message that Sinn Fein is now putting out, do not be fooled. If you really want to change your drink maybe Bulmers Cider/ Magners just produced up the road in Clonmel might be an option.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Its laughable that you dont even realise you must have a drink problem if in your words you cannot go without alcohol? are you serious? this really does show how serious an alcohol problem this country has its woven so deep in society that when someone suggest giving it up in a show of silidarity for those who have losst their jobs you say give up guinness? are you from mars give up guinness?

Yes you are putting your alcohol above principals

if you all seem so sure about this then go and collect someone from B+Q get them in your car and say lets get in my car and can you come with me to the nearest B+Q and help me pick out a sink, such a slap youd get off them.

There are beer alternatives and good local beers that have been given good reviews, why not try support them instead. ah the power of alcohol eh.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Its laughable that you dont even realise you must have a drink problem if in your words you cannot go without alcohol? are you serious? this really does show how serious an alcohol problem this country has its woven so deep in society that when someone suggest giving it up in a show of silidarity for those who have losst their jobs you say give up guinness? are you from mars give up guinness?

if you all seem so sure about this then go and collect someone from B+Q get them in your car and say lets get in my car and can you come with me to the nearest B+Q and help me pick out a sink, such a slap youd get off them.

There are beer alternatives and good local beers that have been given good reviews, why not try support them instead. ah the power of alcohol eh.;)
    I don't think people are saying not to boycott Guiness because they're alcoholics, I think the main point is, that if every one was to boycott the company it would lead to less profits=more job losses. So by doing something like boycotting, you only make the matter worse and more innocent workers loose jobs else where.
    That point aside, what would be achieved by boycotting them.I'm sure a few people not drinking their product wouldn't impact their global sales in any shape or form and what if somewhere down the line an ooption to invest inb Waterford arose again?Would they invest in a city where no one supported their product?
    Sure 30+ people are loosing their jobs and my sympathy is with them, but Guiness isn't a charity. Are they supposed to keep a site open regardless if they're loosing money from it?
    Business is harsh.Better they close down one plant now, instead of marching on blindly and more peole loosing jobs all over because they ran the business badly.
    You keep saying people are placing alcohol over principals!If people were to boycott every business that let people go over the years we'd all be eating grass and drinking sea water. I guarantee what ever device you're using to post on boards has laid people off over the years, so be a man of your word and boycott it. If you don't it just goes to show you're a iyocrite and your arguement is invalid:):rolleyes::P:confused::pac::cool::eek::D:o:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

A bit of advice.........stop digging.

Quality over quantity. All filler, no killer etc. etc. etc.....

• Advertisement

mike65 wrote: »
    Diageo is closing the Mary Street facility by the end of the year.

In 2003 they spent 40 million on the upgrade.

Its sure is a pity. Diageo seems to be trying to move toward a single super brewery/distillery model to cut costs hence Kilkenny and Waterford closures. A pity really as brewing and distilling was all about geography once upon a time but it would seem it has become a highly globalised industry with 4 or 5 major players namely Diageo, SABMiller, Anheuser–Busch-InBev and Heineken

I also noticed a sign entering Clonmel the other day advertising the fact that Tullamore dew was being made in the super brewery/distillery in Annerville alongside Bulmers, etc. Its no longer about location but the ironic thing is that that little bit of extra quality that once came from local brewing is now sacrificed for mass production and revenue

^ ^ ^ ^

Similar to Kilmeaden cheese.

We're talking about alcoholism in modern Ireland now are we? Your posts are absolutely hysterical, glad im drunk reading them:pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,785 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Drink Metalman, they took on another full time member of staff last week and are only going to keep growing. :D

https://www.facebook.com/metalmanbrewing

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭One_More_Mile

irish_goat wrote: »
    Drink Metalman, they took on another full time member of staff last week and are only going to keep growing. :D

https://www.facebook.com/metalmanbrewing

And one of the finest brews on the Irish market. Please god in a few years they will be handing a pint of metalman or dungarvin stout to a foreign dignitary instead of the all pervasive british owned Guinness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

And one of the finest brews on the Irish market. Please god in a few years they will be handing a pint of metalman or dungarvin stout to a foreign dignitary instead of the all pervasive british owned Guinness

List of pubs that sell the beers guys!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

We're talking about alcoholism in modern Ireland now are we? Your posts are absolutely hysterical, glad im drunk reading them:pac:

Its the fu! King flouride man.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I know if I was let go from a job who wanted to cut costs to make more profit for the small few at the top who are already rich, That i wouldnt go back and buy their product, Do you think the people in Waterford who lost their jobs in Talk Talk would buy products from Talk Talk? I dont think so! jeese why would they not do that?
    Well it would be pretty feckin' hard to seeing as TalkTalk don't offer services to the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Would be the perfect location for a distillery to set-up shop, especially considering the recent growing interest in Irish whiskeys from abroad.

I was surprised that there were so few employed there but then I was reminded that the "brewery" was little more than a chemical plant for the past number of years.

Lets hope the people starting drinking local beers instead of giving this company their money,

• Advertisement

What about B+Q do you think that staff in B+Q would be happy to go back and shop in another B+Q i dont think so.

But will that matter to B+Q's turnover? not a bit, however its because of principal that they wont go back there.

I have to say if i was let go from a company that was shutting down to move to another country to squeeze more profits out of it, i wouldnt want to support that company by giving them my money anymore.

I would rather give it to an up and coming localn Irish company like was mentioned on here time and time again?

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭leduke

spankmemunkey you're starting to sound like a broken record. big companies like b+q are suffering like small local business's because of greedy property owners with upward only rent reviews and local authorities with high rates.it all adds up to irish job losses. boycotting any business will only lead to further misery!

leduke wrote: »
    spankmemunkey you're starting to sound like a broken record. big companies like b+q are suffering like small local business's because of greedy property owners with upward only rent reviews and local authorities with high rates.it all adds up to irish job losses. boycotting any business will only lead to further misery!

Do you think the people from B+Q will shop in B+Q again?

Your just relentless, you realise boards.ie made some one redundant a while back so maybe you should boycott here aswell:eek:

Your just relentless, you realise boards.ie made some one redundant a while back so maybe you should boycott here aswell:eek:

Still didnt answer me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Do you think the people from B+Q will shop in B+Q again?

No, because there won't be a B&Q here to shop in :rolleyes: I thought this was about Guinness and not bloody B&Q?

Go without Guinness??? Alcohol above principals??? where are you getting this tripe from. You must be just A troll, surely you cant be serious.

So boycotting business that have to downsize is your solution is it, like i said THE stupidest thing ive read all day, possibly all week.

No, he is correct. It is obvious that principals are important to him, so as an act of solidarity we should not buy Glanbia products because they pulled out of Kilmeaden, shop in the Yankee Candle store or else we are only funding the war in Iraq, boycott Dealz to stop the flow of money going east to the U.K. to further fund the arms race, that new Mexican place as I'm sure that refried beans from Central America have something to do with the drug cartels there, Tom Murphy and his Nazi mobiles can take a hike too, paying for Merkels jaunts abroad, we have to put an end to Tescos world domination, Argos can go back from whence they came, Halfords can take a hike, Ireland is not a Bearau de exchange for sterling.
    Then there's Debenhams, Clarks, Car Phone Warehouse, Harvey Norman and his [EMAIL="fu@king"]fu@king[/EMAIL] Kangaroos, Ramada Hotel, Sky and their greedy English Premiership players, McDonalds, bloody Middle East petrol coming with a big fat Jihad, Homebase, Next, Aldi, Lidl, Burger King, Peter Marks, Deevys as I'm sure that those kayaks ate not from locally sourced materials, coal from Columbia because we all know what happens there, car parts, tyres, socks, South African fruit, Israeli oranges, chicken kormas, pork balls in black bean sauce, etc., etc., etc., etc., etc.

Solidarity brothers, solidarity.

So it's Dunnes, Super Macs and a nice pint of Dungarvans finest, cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Don't forget Florida where all the flouride comes from

• Registered Users Posts: 9,187 ✭✭✭kensutz

Let's abandon all establishments that serve/sell burgers for fear of horse meat appearing in it too.

• Advertisement

kensutz wrote: »
    No, because there won't be a B&Q here to shop in :rolleyes: I thought this was about Guinness and not bloody B&Q?

Like the way you all avoided that one,

If i took a B+Q worker and asked them would they buy any product from B+Q in any of their other stores in Ireland what would their answer be? No

If Talk Talk had products/packages for sale in Waterford would their former workers buy products from them? NO

If Waterford Crystal workers were asked would you buy products from the new production facility in Slovakia or where ever it is what would they say NO.

Why? out of principal

Oh we cant answer you on this one so we'll say B+Q doesnt exist anymore and this has nothing to do with B+Q.

Advertisement