Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-relationship professions?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

I actually am very picky and have a list as long as my arm;

Guard, anyone in the army, traffic warden, primary school teacher, doctor, dentist, estate agent, accountant, works for FG/FF or any political party for that matter, drug dealer, nightclub owner... It goes on but those are the top few I wouldn't go near!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

carolmarx wrote: »

Guard, anyone in the army, traffic warden, primary school teacher, doctor, dentist, estate agent, accountant, works for FG/FF or any political party for that matter, drug dealer, nightclub owner... It goes on but those are the top few I wouldn't go near!

What's left? how about a farmer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

lahalane wrote: »
    Psychiatrist. I'm very paranoid.
    I was going to say psychologist to avoid having a girlfriend diagnose all my mental problems.

Also, down in the pub when your friends are impressed with your brainy psychiatrist girlfriend and you have to explain that she's not a psychiatrist, only a psychologist.

HondaSami wrote: »
    What's left? how about a farmer?

I probably couldn't date a farmer to be honest, I love animals way too much to want to see what goes on in farms and there'd be an awful smell of ****e off them! Also, I live out the country and the farmers here are bastards for burning their land in defiance of the wildlife act and it drives me absolutely nuts! Could definitely go out with;engineer,scientist,pilot,vet,musician,social worker...Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.Like I said, I'm picky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Jaysus.
    I'd hate to see your list of personality dealbreakers!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭stmol32

Pighead wrote: »
    'Hmmm, Pighead is there any profession out there that you would not like a would be girlfriend to be in?'

Pighead let's his woman work! Pighead is not proper man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

stmol32 wrote: »
    Pighead let's his woman work! Pighead is not proper man.
    What an absolutely disgusting sentence.

Structure's all wrong. It should read 'Pighead is not a proper man'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

A proctocologist wouldn't be the easiest one to explain to a potential lover. You'd always wonder if they had washed their hands after a long day at the office getting to the root of issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Sergeant wrote: »
    A proctocologist wouldn't be the easiest one to explain to a potential lover. You'd always wonder if they had washed their hands after a long day at the office getting to the root of issues.
    Ah proctology. The rare profession in which you start out at the
    bottom and stay there.

You can have that one for free Sarge. Feel free to use it at dinner parties or nights out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Why so? Just out of interest!

danslevent wrote: »
    Why so? Just out of interest!

A guard/army person just wouldn't be my kind of person. I'm really into political activism etc and I just don't gel with such structured people who tend to have a very black and white view of things! Traffic wardens do a horrible job, I know an honest living is an honest living but I just couldn't! Doctors work long hours, dentists are boring and I associate them with bad memories :P estate agents are liars, accountants are boring, I hate party politics hence why I wouldn't date someone who worked for one, drug dealer speaks for itself (although I like an entrepreneur :P )..Nightclub owners, I imagine they;d work hard and long hours, but I just don't really like the business, anyone i've ever had dealings with has been a bit seedy (just an observation, obviously I don't know ALL the nightclub owners in Ireland nor will I ever). Like I said, I'm just really picky...But there's no accounting for taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

The merchant navy (Deck and Engineering officers mostly) is a difficult profession to be in and hold a relationship. You're away too much, it could be 4 months on one month off, longer away in some instances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Three Seasons

A guard/army person just wouldn't be my kind of person. I'm really into political activism etc and I just don't gel with such structured people who tend to have a very black and white view of things! Traffic wardens do a horrible job, I know an honest living is an honest living but I just couldn't! Doctors work long hours, dentists are boring and I associate them with bad memories :P estate agents are liars, accountants are boring, I hate party politics hence why I wouldn't date someone who worked for one, drug dealer speaks for itself (although I like an entrepreneur :P )..Nightclub owners, I imagine they;d work hard and long hours, but I just don't really like the business, anyone i've ever had dealings with has been a bit seedy (just an observation, obviously I don't know ALL the nightclub owners in Ireland nor will I ever). Like I said, I'm just really picky...But there's no accounting for taste!

Well you seem to have a black and white view of guards yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭boomshakalaka

campo wrote: »
    Oh Pighead a woman is not our possesision we just need to treasure every moment that the woman see's fit to give us

Interesting apostrophe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭amacca

Pighead wrote: »
    This poster doesn't really want to spend his remaining fifty years on this planet punching people in the face.

I'm curious, what makes Pighead think he has fifty years remaining?

To answer your question, any "profession" that makes a lot less money than me and probably any profession that makes a lot more - jealousy is a powerful destructive force in this world and I'm fast becoming a realist.

• Advertisement

If you can afford to be that picky you must be a stunner.....I've sent you a pm woman, you just have to turn up and I'll show you the time of my life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

politically active and hate party politics ?

amacca wrote: »
    If you can afford to be that picky you must be a stunner.....I've sent you a pm woman, you just have to turn up and I'll show you the time of my life.

Sorry..Even with my pickiness I've managed to already find someone :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭long range shooter

The merchant navy (Deck and Engineering officers mostly) is a difficult profession to be in and hold a relationship. You're away too much, it could be 4 months on one month off, longer away in some instances.

That all depends on who your with,I have been with the same woman for 15 years,and been at sea for 20 years.last 8 as Captain.
    its all about what you make of it.
    To be honest I think she's just glad to see me gone after being home for a month though;)but she's very happy to see money coming into the account;),lol

mattjack wrote: »

It's possible. I support certain causes that are political, but I don't believe in aligning myself to a particular party! I wish I'd never written the post now people must think I hate everyone!

• Advertisement

mattjack wrote: »

Shhh, I'm getting to know her, she's quite brilliant but a complex person filled with contradiction like all great people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

Undertaker. Called out at all hours to collect and prepare bodies and then getting back into bed with you.

One too many stiffies there for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

One too many stiffies there for my liking.

There can never be too many stiffies for my liking. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

It's possible. I support certain causes that are political, but I don't believe in aligning myself to a particular party! I wish I'd never written the post now people must think I hate everyone!

Why do you hate everyone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Autonomous Cowherd

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Taxidermist. Keep your hands AWAY from me woman!

Ye are all flipping hilarious..thanks i needed it :D...but this one ^ takes the biscuit.
    Me? Well, as a lady, (just to be clear after the unfortunate Pighead gender fiasco), I would hate to be married to a Gynaecologist...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

My other half is a farmer. My Sundays and holidays are spent shovelling silage and shiite, dosing cattle for worms and shifting them between fields. Spreading slurry in the coming months well be a good relationship tester :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,177 ✭✭✭Wompa1

The contradictions in your post are all over the shop! Your suggestion of not wanting somebody with black and white thinking and yet stereotyping all types of people is laughable. You are either a hypocrite or somebody who believes more in conveying an image of themselves as liberal and open minded, while actually not being so liberal and open minded or you are just stooooopid.

Political Activist who just levels political parties and political policies without offering an alternative? Do you have a website, podcast, or some other alternative. You must have some form of lobby group or party to be an activist? Or are you just opinionated and not an activist at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I can't think of any I would completely rule out. It really would depend on the individual. But in a general sense a garda or a politician would be a turn off.

I think a farmer would be near top of my list. Anybody with a really busy job who travels a lot would also be good.

In most situations though I would likely have made my mind up before I would ever know their job so it is really a non issue.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'd probably avoid someone who couldn't afford to keep me in a manner to which I'm sure I could become accustomed to.

Wompa1 wrote: »
    The contradictions in your post are all over the shop! Your suggestion of not wanting somebody with black and white thinking and yet stereotyping all types of people is laughable. You are either a hypocrite or somebody who believes more in conveying an image of themselves as liberal and open minded, while actually not being so liberal and open minded or you are just stooooopid.

Political Activist who just levels political parties and political policies without offering an alternative? Do you have a website, podcast, or some other alternative. You must have some form of lobby group or party to be an activist? Or are you just opinionated and not an activist at all?

To be honest I just didn't feel the need in giving a rationalisation for everything I said, as you know..I was trying to keep it on topic! Obviously of the professions I mentioned I've only met a small sample group! When I meet every guard/drug dealer/accountant etc in the country (or would ya prefer the world?) I'll get back to you! And yes I am actually a member of a few lobby groups, but as I said, was trying to keep on topic as this isn't the place for my political ramblings.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

To be honest I just didn't feel the need in giving a rationalisation for everything I said, as you know..I was trying to keep it on topic! Obviously of the professions I mentioned I've only met a small sample group! When I meet every guard/drug dealer/accountant etc in the country (or would ya prefer the world?) I'll get back to you! And yes I am actually a member of a few lobby groups, but as I said, was trying to keep on topic as this isn't the place for my political ramblings.... :rolleyes:
    Rejection and the denizens of internet discussion forums are a sensitive combination.

My other half is a farmer. My Sundays and holidays are spent shovelling silage and shiite, dosing cattle for worms and shifting them between fields. Spreading slurry in the coming months well be a stood relationship tester :pac:

"shifting"....that bloody word again, can one of you young people explain its precise meaning please.

9959 wrote: »
    "shifting"....that bloody word again, can one of you young people explain its precise meaning please.
    You're in the worng thread. :D

You're in the worng thread. :D

Ah, sorry.

Ah, sorry.
    If you go out and snog someone in a pub/club you would say you shifted them.

If you go out and snog someone in a pub/club you would say you shifted them.

I see, thank you very much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Are you talkin to me? Because if you are you have addressed me incorrectly, I am no longer classed as a 'young' lady :(

Are you talkin to me? Because if you are you have addressed me incorrectly, I am no longer classed as a 'young' lady :(

Beg pardon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Mariasofia

A jockey .....couldn't date a fella lighter than me. Don't be so predictable as to start riding references:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Steve O

Fitness instructor, I don't need her telling me how many calories that are in my Cosmopolitan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,279 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Steve O wrote: »
    Fitness instructor, I don't need her telling me how many calories that are in my Cosmopolitan.

You drink Cosmopolitans? Gaaaaaay.

I wouldn't rule anyone based on their profession... It all depends on the person themselves not what they do for a living. As long as its not anything illegal etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Architect

Can't have two captains sailing the one ship!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Architect

Can't have two captains sailing the one ship!
    Architects aren't captains. They're people who got carried away with their skill at colouring in. I'd hate to date a social worker. Too much sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

Architects aren't captains. They're people who got carried away with their skill at colouring in. I'd hate to date a social worker. Too much sharing.

Tue that, but they get well paid to colour in, I'd also hate to date one of them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,221 ✭✭✭NuckingFacker

Tue that, but they get well paid to colour in, I'd also hate to date one of them
    Not so much these days.:)

OOh, I can draw a house. Good man, so can my 9 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Dunno if it was posted already,but avoid professional tennis players,love means nothing to them (teehee)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

I know he was married but I couldn't see Albert Pierrepoint being a hit with the honeys somehow...

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

dd972 wrote: »
    I know he was married but I couldn't see Albert Pierrepoint being a hit with the honeys somehow...

Just begging for a joke about being well hung ,just can't work it in,but still........

Advertisement