Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Brady IRA sympathy?

• 11-04-2013 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭

I just saw this post on John Brady's Facebook page regarding the anniversary of the death of an IRA member who blew himself up while planning a murder campaign in the UK:

From his facebook page:

"Thinking of brave volunteer Ed O'Brien who paid the ultimate sacrifice for Irish Freedom on this day in 1996. Its (sic) hard to believe its (sic) 17 years since you left us, although you are gone, you will never be forgotten and we will realise the Republic that you fought for".

Now, Ed O'Brien blew himself up while carrying an explosive device on a bus in London.

"During a police search of his London address 15 kg of semtex, 20 timers, 4 detonators and ammunition for a 9mm Walther revolver were discovered, along with an incendiary device. The Walther pistol was discovered on him after his death.[2][6] The inquest into his death heard that O'Brien was likely responsible for a planting a similar bomb in a London telephone box on 15 February, but it was later deactivated by the police.[2]"

"two passengers and the driver (left permanently deaf) were injured in the explosion"

It's shocking to think that someone who represents Bray and wants to represent the county has such praise for someone who was intent on murdering innocent civilians.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Honestly surprised you find it shocking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Well, maybe I'm more shocked that he published it on his facebook page.

He also added a song "The Ballad of Ed O'Brien"..... it's a pity that innocent bus driver who was left permanently deaf can't listen to music anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Lots of republicans mourn the death of IRA volunteers, whats so shocking about it?

Well, surprised more than shocked that he has such regard for someone who was planning to murder lots of innocent people.

Just last week he was complaining about kids in his local area destroying bins and talking about respect for property which is ironic considering the amount of property damage 15kg of semtex would cause - as well as loss to lives.

Maybe our local councillor could come on and explain why he thinks a man who was planning a murder campaign deserves such plaudits.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

I am surprised you are shocked tbh. he has always been vocal about supporting the IRA.

I not something he has ever hidden.

• Advertisement

As I said, maybe surprised more than shocked.

The guy who blew himself up was in London planning a bombing campaign while my sister was living and working in the city - maybe that's why the comment on his page surprised me. She was the same age as yer man. I was also in London for a weekend around the same time - me and few friends got caught up in a bomb scare on the TUBE. I have never had to cover up my Irishness before or since that incidence but we all knew not to open out mouths as soon as we heard the warning.

We made our way to a taxi, let our English friend give the taxi driver directions and didn't speak til we got out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Well, surprised more than shocked that he has such regard for someone who was planning to murder lots of innocent people.

Don't know why you're so surprised, sure that's what the IRA did, that was their thing, and Sinn Fein
    as their political wing are bound to venerate the memory & death of one of their own 'heroes'.

Just glad he failed in his attempt to get into The Dail.

Glad Stephen Donnelly beat him...... he certainly seems more qualified to comment on economic matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Just glad he failed in his attempt to get into The Dail.

Glad Stephen Donnelly beat him...... he certainly seems more qualified to comment on economic matters.
    I certainly agree that Stephen Donnelly is an asset in the Dáil but we could do without all three FG TDs. John Brady has a very good chance of getting elected next time round and such is life. I'd expect FF to try every dirty trick in the book to damage his chances. They might even find something for Kearon to do with his Twitter account.... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

Hmmm, thats a bit strange to post that up. I'm sure he is disgusted by whoever planted the bombs in Boston, yet he mourns the passing of somebody doing something quite similar (albeit perhaps a more sinister agenda).

I think in this day and age, you remember those volunteers to yourself, but dont publicise it. Leave the past in the past, glorify the hunger strikers all you want, but those who planted bombs and left them to kill innocents.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Let's keep the allegations of wrong doing off Boards.ie please folks.

Sure we'll wait and see what Mr. Brady has to say about his FB post.

He seems to be fairly handy letting the local newspapers know how he feels so I'll make sure to have a read of the Bray People next time I'm in the Gem... (sure no one buys it :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

This thread is not going to end well.

Closed

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement