Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long do I have to take a case under SOGASOS act 1980

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭

Girl in NCA said I'd be covered for a faulty Item for up to 6 years?

Is this correct?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

vicwatson wrote: »
    Girl in NCA said I'd be covered for a faulty Item for up to 6 years?

Is this correct?
    Technically yes that is the limit, but it is dependant on a few factors including the expected lifetime of the product, its durability, price paid etc.....

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Technically yes that is the limit, but it is dependant on a few factors including the expected lifetime of the product, its durability, price paid etc.....

Cheers foggy lad, was with you over in other thread re the laptop, talked to Dell (i think inidia) and he took all the details, tried to say its out of their 1 year warranty, I explained to him i want to rely on my rights under the SOGASOS act 1980. He said he would give all the information to his legal department and they would call me with a decision.

I've a feeling they are going to say sorry bud It's over a year old so tough.

Though surely merchantable quality has to come into it.

Surely I can reasonably expect a laptop to last for more than 2.75 years ? I'd be more than happy to accept a repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

If you search here, maybe over 2 years ago you'll fins a good few sucessful SCC judgements against Dell. I think it was Cherrywood(?) that dealt with the legal side of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

To get anywhere you will need to write to them as phone calls are dealt with by call centre staff who are mostly sales staff and are not paid to offer you a repair when they can sell you a new laptop. They dont give a toss about your rights and wil most likely keep you ringing and emailing for months hoping that you will just give up. It costs them nothing to have you ring their third world call centres.

Write to them explaining the issue and what you expect from them and if they dont respond within two weeks start a small claims court case.

Advertisement