Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance problem for new venture

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi, sorry if this is in the wrong section, but it is related to business more so that motoring.

I am in the process of setting up a new venture aimed at being the Irish ''Wicked '' of Irish camper van rentals. I'm going after the same market, Backpackers and young tourists. The vans will be a lot more classier than the Australian wicked vans, but priced very keen.

anyway I am having huge amount of trouble getting insurance for the business, I need Hire Drive Insurance, and so far have contacted almost all brokers who deal in this type of insurance but have been told ''unable to quote because no previous insurance''. How do they expect me to get that first years insurance.

I am only trying to insurance 2 vans in the first year and growing by 2-4 vans year on year.

Is there anywhere i can go to get advice on this or can I insist on an insurance quote because i have been refused so many times? I have invested a lot into the conversion of the vans and website etc,

Any information would be a huge help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Insurance Industry complaints now come under the Financial Ombudsman, perhaps a call to his office might get you on the right road!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,196 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Have you tried that city financial group, they run insure my van and insure my shop, alway found them pretty helpful with out of the ordinary requests...might be worth just asking them for advice.
    You'd want hefty deposits and credit cards from anyone hiring.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Dan_

Thanks, I had a look at the website to get some info befor i contacted them, I also wanted to see if I could gather some Information here aswell.

Its looking like i might have to go down that road. Im way to stubborn to just give up!:)

Have you tried that city financial group, they run insure my van and insure my shop, alway found them pretty helpful with out of the ordinary requests...might be worth just asking them for advice.
    You'd want hefty deposits and credit cards from anyone hiring.

I have tried them as they currently insure my van Im using for a different business. Im keeping costs down by the type of van 04-07 Transporter, and with identical conversions. But will be getting a credit card deposit and making them sign a contract stating any damage to inside van can be charged at a lated date.

But i dont want to scare them away with massive deposits, they are backpackers after all!:)

Just off the phone to the Financial services ombudsman, not what i was expecting at all. I was not waiting in any que and was given very clear information, the guy said get 3 rejection letters made out to the business name and he will force one of the 3 to give a quote.

He also said it would be based on book value, which i assume means it not going to be a ridiculous quote

• Advertisement
Advertisement