Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with 2 1/2 year old and sleeping..

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

We have a 2 1/2 year toddler and up until last week would go to sleep no problem. We would do or routine of story book, washing teeth and then we put him into the cot and say goodnight to him and we could leave the room and within 10-15 mins would be gone asleep...Then suddenly overnight it all changed within a minute of leaving the bedroom all hell breaks loose, crying, and calling for us and wants one of us to stay until he evenutally falls asleep.......anyone with same issues?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Went through the same issue, same age more or less. It got to the point where we'd bring our daughter to our bed, read her stories and lie with her until she fell asleep. We'd leave her there until we went to bed before moving her. Of course she then insisted every night that she goes to sleep in our bed, which we were fine with as it made life easy for everyone at night. Bonus was that occasionally one of use would have a much earlier night than planned when we'd drift off with her before 8 in the evening.

We eventually moved her to going down in her own bed and she's grand with that. She'll still wake occasionally and come into our bed.

Some people will completely disagree with this approach and will go through the whole struggle of insisting the toddler goes down on their own from the beginning but the way we look at it is to do whatever works easiest for all involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

Maybe try putting him in a bed. Make a big deal of new bed, picking his duvet, big boy etc.. and he might like it.
    My son is in his since he is two, it is very low normal single bed and we just bought a,little bed rail to go on it, he loves it. We decorated beside it with Mickey mouse wall stickers and glow in the dark stars.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

Same happened just before 2 & half, started at naptime and then at bedtime as well. If she was very bad, I would just stand outside her door and calmly say it was time for bed. Because I never went back in or got her up again, she very rarely cried for more than a few minutes.
    I'm not one to want to share our bed with our toddlers, we bring them in just in the morning, never at other times. I made the mistake when I was 9 mths pregnant and really needed the sleep, took her in with me when she woke during the night, it took three nights of upsets to get her back to normal. She is a lot better now, but still sometimes have a little whimper before falling asleep.
    Its my opinion that you should always respond to a baby crying, but not to a toddler, you can see clear as day how they use crying to test your boundaries during the day, its the same at night time so its really up to you to decide where those boundaries are regarding going to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jackben

cbsam74 wrote: »
    We have a 2 1/2 year toddler and up until last week would go to sleep no problem. We would do or routine of story book, washing teeth and then we put him into the cot and say goodnight to him and we could leave the room and within 10-15 mins would be gone asleep...Then suddenly overnight it all changed within a minute of leaving the bedroom all hell breaks loose, crying, and calling for us and wants one of us to stay until he evenutally falls asleep.......anyone with same issues?

Hi, having the exact same problem with our 27month old, he used to go down in.cot every night without fail up to about 2 months ago refuses to get into cot now.
    We did the while got new bed river covers did up his room but he hates the little toddler bed,, what works for us is having to lie down in the big double bed in his room till he falls asleep an then i go into my pwn room,, he always ends up coming back into our room during the night though.. but if Thats how we can get some sleep so be it...
    Its so hard.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭cbsam74

Well the last few nights were not to bad. Kept the door slightly open with a low light in the hallway and when he started to cry or shout when in the cot we would tell him to go to sleep and that he is brillant etc...last night he got tired of calling us and after 10 -15 mins fell asleep...so fingers crossed..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

Op
    Does he still nap during the day ?
    My girl was like that it all coincided with new arrival and took us a while to figure it out

Is it time to get rid of daytime sleep?

My little one could take hour half to settle once we gave up day sleeps she was out like a light at night

still likes a nap during the day alright. and in saying that we didnt give him one on saturday and feel asleep while changing for bed...

Yes it could be a sign he is just not tired at night
    My little one really needs her nap still as she is like a briar between 6-8 in evenings but I find then the night time sleep is affected
    If she was in car during day and fell asleep I find then at night she takes ages to settle

well just when all was settling back into a bit of routine or little fella now wakes up everynight for the last week around 2 o clock roaring for one of us to go into him. wont go back to sleep unless we stay in the room.

well just when all was settling back into a bit of routine or little fella now wakes up everynight for the last week around 2 o clock roaring for one of us to go into him. wont go back to sleep unless we stay in the room.

Ha the joys of parenting eh my second child born last Aug and the older girl sleep inturupted since could sleep great for 2 weeks then goes through periods of not settling then periods of night waking
    Then periods of early rising
    Then she started creche waking up early
    Then a new childminder - was this a reason why she waking every morning at 5 !!!!!

Tis not easy is it

I think somewhere I read they don t settle properly til after their 3rd year

• Advertisement

our second child was born in last november so its all go. its all fun and games alright...

our second child was born in last november so its all go. its all fun and games alright...

Yes so you never no what's goin through their heads

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

my 27 month old will go to bed most nights but at least 1 night a week she will take multiple nappies off,go to the potty then come down and demand new nappies,ask for a glass of water,anything that she can think of really.

I think it is just 2 year olds!!!

The terrible twooos...My wife and are meant to head off for night next month for overnight break, so we are not sure what to do now. Grandparents insist in minding them.

The terrible twooos...My wife and are meant to head off for night next month for overnight break, so we are not sure what to do now. Grandparents insist in minding them.

Go on ahead and what will happen neither will wake that night at all
    I would not let that put u off

Advertisement