Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why can i not buy meter tokens from my local paypoint outlet

Options
  • 11-04-2013 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

costs 20euros in a taxi to the closest paypoint that sells tokens
    telephoned electric ireland i was told it was up the paypoint outlet
    to supply tokens.local paypoint outlet says electric ireland will not
    supply them with tokens.who is telling lies???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭EI: Una

Hi Aiden,

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Token meters are being phased out and the new meters for managing arrears, keypad meters, are replacing them.

We recommend that customers who have token meters and whose arrears are cleared, have the token meter removed. If it should come to it subsequently, we can check whether they would be eligible to have a keypad meter installed.

Regards,
    Una

• Registered Users Posts: 10 aiden123

Hi Aiden,

Sorry for any misunderstanding. Token meters are being phased out and the new meters for managing arrears, keypad meters, are replacing them.

We recommend that customers who have token meters and whose arrears are cleared, have the token meter removed. If it should come to it subsequently, we can check whether they would be eligible to have a keypad meter installed.

Regards,
    Una
    thanks Una i have all my arrears cleared but i want to carry on paying for electric via pre pay meter would i not automatically be eligible to upgrade to a keypad meter

Hi again Aiden,

There isn't an automatic upgrade to a keypad meter - it is required that it be applied for. And it is only installed for customers who are in relatively long-term arrears, so if a customer's account is not in arrears, even if they have had a token meter before, they will not be deemed eligible for a keypad meter. The token meter and the keypad meter are specifically for debt management rather than being standard payment facilities.

A customer who receives a bill can treat their account as a pre-pay one though, throughout the two months between bills - for example, via internet banking or by debit card on our website. Here is the full list of payment methods available: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/payment-options.jsp

Regards,
    Una

Hi again Aiden,

There isn't an automatic upgrade to a keypad meter - it is required that it be applied for. And it is only installed for customers who are in relatively long-term arrears, so if a customer's account is not in arrears, even if they have had a token meter before, they will not be deemed eligible for a keypad meter. The token meter and the keypad meter are specifically for debt management rather than being standard payment facilities.

A customer who receives a bill can treat their account as a pre-pay one though, throughout the two months between bills - for example, via internet banking or by debit card on our website. Here is the full list of payment methods available: https://www.electricireland.ie/ei/residential/manage-your-account/payment-options.jsp

Regards,
    Una
    thanks Una. So to save me traveling twenty miles in a taxi to buy tokens i must get my token meter removed then run up a huge bill that i can not  afford to pay before i get a keypad meter installed. would it not be easier to make tokens more available?

Hello again Aiden,

It is possible to prevent a full two-month bill being received in one go by treating a bill account as a pre-pay one - paying instalments in whenever it is possible (see my post above). We recommend this to customers who are not paying bills by direct debit. It significantly reduces the bill by the time it is issued, or even clears it.
    When arrears are cleared, the token meter's purpose has been met, as this is specifically to help customers clear significant arrears - we do not install token meters for customers who are not in arrears. Because of the token meter being phased out and keypad meter being brought in, it is not feasible to make tokens more available.

Regards,
    Una

• Advertisement

Hello again Aiden,

It is possible to prevent a full two-month bill being received in one go by treating a bill account as a pre-pay one - paying instalments in whenever it is possible (see my post above). We recommend this to customers who are not paying bills by direct debit. It significantly reduces the bill by the time it is issued, or even clears it.
    When arrears are cleared, the token meter's purpose has been met, as this is specifically to help customers clear significant arrears - we do not install token meters for customers who are not in arrears. Because of the token meter being phased out and keypad meter being brought in, it is not feasible to make tokens more available.

Regards,
    Una
    thanks una but i find it easier to stay on top of household finances when i dont have a electric bill to worry about. i am going to get a pre pay power.ie meter installed as they guarantee to match electric ireland unit price and i can top up at my local shop.   
    Regards
    Aiden

Hi again Aiden,

Sorry to read that you would like to change provider.

Just FYI: A resource for carrying out a unit comparison between suppliers is Bonkers.ie: https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

All the best,
    Una

Hi again Aiden,

Sorry to read that you would like to change provider.

Just FYI: A resource for carrying out a unit comparison between suppliers is Bonkers.ie: https://www.bonkers.ie/compare-gas-electricity-prices/

All the best,
    Una
    Thanks for your help Una the main reason for changing is the availabale of tokens or lack of.

Advertisement