Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage

• 11-04-2013 2:21pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24

My Brazilian girlfriend's visa has expired and she is now illegally residing in Ireland. We've decided to get married in order to curtail this problem but we're unsure where our first port of call should be and what problems we're likely to encounter? We've been dating four months. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Four months and getting married? Do you own any property? I'd be very careful of going down this route which may not even give her a right to remain.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Professor Xavier

Hi, no I don't. I'm just a student with limited finances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Slyderx1

would you still marry her or would she marry you if she still faced being deported despite being married? Would you relocate to Brazil?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Professor Xavier

Personally, I see no value in the concept of marriage only as a means of helping my partner stay in Ireland. On the positive side, becoming a Brazilian national is an attractive proposition.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

4 months is a crazy length to be in a relationship to be getting married. Immigration is also likely to see it that way. Plenty of posts on here about this sort of thing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Hi, no I don't. I'm just a student with limited finances.

even if you divorce with no assets you can be pursued for maintenance years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭seb65

My Brazilian girlfriend's visa has expired and she is now illegally residing in Ireland. We've decided to get married in order to curtail this problem but we're unsure where our first port of call should be and what problems we're likely to encounter? We've been dating four months. Can anyone point us in the right direction?

Potential Problems:

You'll have to wait three months for your marriage license.

At anytime, your girlfriend can be deported. I stand to be corrected, but I thought I read the courts upheld a decision by immigration to arrest and deport someone on his/her walk up the alter.

Your girlfriends now illegal status will complicate any attempts for her to become legally resident in the state, including, from the marriage and civil partnerships website (concerning obtaining a marriage license to wed in Ireland):

"Applications from persons where it is deemed that they are seeking such permission to simply gain entry to the State or where they seek such permission simply to continue their length of stay in the State for whatever reason, such applications will be refused and the appropriate and necessary action taken to remove the individual from the State. Any misinformation given during the application process will result in the application being refused immediately."

Chances are any marriage license application will simply notify immigration of her illegal status.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

My brother lives in England and (legitimately and for love) married a woman from Argentina last July. It took 6 months for them just to get a fiances visa for her to allow them to marry, and a further 8 months after the wedding of applying to the Home Office, paying fees, and attending interviews for her to get a spouses visa to allow her to live and work in the UK. Both of their passports were in the possession of the Home Office for that 8 months. I can't imagine it's going to be any easier or cheaper in Ireland.

Getting married is no guarantee of curtailing your problem and will most likely bring a whole new raft of problems to your doorstep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

A marriage cert is not proof of a de facto relationship.

A de facto relationship is needed to gain a visa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

Personally, I see no value in the concept of marriage only as a means of helping my partner stay in Ireland. On the positive side, becoming a Brazilian national is an attractive proposition.

You wont get brazilian citizenship unless you lived there for numerous years.

Did she tell you that you would?

Do you hold an EU passport, other than an Irish one?

Mad and all as it sounds, its easier for the spouse of an EU citizen to live and work in Ireland, than for spouses of Irish citizens (as EU rules dont apply for them).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 713 ✭✭✭WayneMolloy

A marriage cert is not proof of a de facto relationship.

A de facto relationship is needed to gain a visa.

You generally need to be in a relationship for two years to qualify.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭BabysCoffee

You generally need to be in a relationship for two years to qualify.

My point is that marriage cert is not an automatic proof of a relationship for gaining a visa (particularly getting married after knowing each other for a few months).

Why rush to get married (and risk 1. Not getting a visa based on the hasty marriage and 2. Possibly face a costly divorce further down the line). Stay together and prove the relationship and apply for de facto in 2 yrs

Advertisement