Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tablets and Data

Options
  • 11-04-2013 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of getting a tablet and am wondering what are the best options available to have mobile internet when away from wifi.

It seems to be that the service providers charge a lot per month for tablet specific 3g data plans, and a lot less for smart phone plans with an unlimited (15gb) data allowance.

Would a smart phone sim work in a tablet for the purposes of data?

Or would it be better to avail of one of these cheap plans and tether the phone to the tablet?

I am sure this has all been discussed previously, so if anyone can point me in the right direction I would be grateful.

Regards,
    MT

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

If you have a relatively recent phone you can share out the 3G connection via wifi from the phone to your tablet. Just make sure your plan has a data allowance. I do that the whole time and I find it grand.

For Iphones and recent Android phones you can just share out using the phone software.
    On older phones you can use Jokuspot sometimes to create the hotspot.

Take a look

http://support.vodafone.com.au/articles/FAQ/How-to-set-up-a-Personal-Hotspot

Wifi only tablets are usually a lot cheaper - so even if you don't have a phone that allows hotspot creation - you can just upgrade your phone and plan and buy a cheaper wifi only tablet.

Advertisement