Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Steel gun case

• 11-04-2013 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

My TM M14 is back in working order but due to its long length (1,127mm), it's almost impossible to get a gun bag to fit it. I'd like to buy a rigid case for it to protect the gun and the expensive scope I bought for it. However I can't find any cases on the market that would fit this gun. So any suggestions where I can buy one?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

The one I hear everyone recommeding are Peli cases. They are not cheap, but they are the industry standard. It will wear out before you do.

They should have a few that will handle a long rifle. Take a look at their "Mobile Armoury" ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭Southern Dandy

I have a PANTAC long rifle bag which I bought in airsofteire a while back, now it's nylon but the padding is thick which makes it rigid and very durable. Fits my M14 EBR no bother, even with the stock full extended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

"Steel" cases tend not to be; metal frame, wood panels.

As sliabh has alluded to indirectly is that if you want a durable case, you want a polymer-based case - they can handle shocks far, far better than any "rigid" material such as steel ever will, and are generally much tougher to do any damage to.

Pelicase own hardigg (the makers of the "Storm case"); of which more than a few boardsies own such cases, along with myself. If you're looking for something to fit an m14; check out the IM3000-range. To put some perspective on it; I have an IM3200 case - it can take any of my rifles fully assembled with plenty of space to spare, and can take my m60 plus everything else with barrel assembly detached (but also in case). So don't feel like you would want to opt for the largest case available (an IM3300 if I recall).

They aren't cheap, but you can get them from some sites abroad, that eeven with customs & shipping, work out cheaper than sourcing closer to home.

TBH: a decent padded & constructed rifle bag will do you if you're just going from the car to the site, to the bedroom. Unless you have a specific need for safe storage or you'll be travelling international (especially by air), peli/storm-cases are complete overkill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭darman28

Heres the Irish distributer for Peli
    http://www.peli.ie/
    They are really good to deal with , based in co Clare & it worked out around the same price as buying aboard, for me at the time,when you take in delivery, customs etc.These cases have a lifetime guarantee with them.They are expensive so you have to ask yourself what use you will get out of it.If your only going to your local site with it, go for a soft or less expensive case.But if you go to alot of events around ireland, especailly abroad, plan on using it for a good few years & own high end AEGs to put into it then I would highly recommend going for a peli case.Those mi3300 case have alot of space in them, I got rid of the hard centre foam where you are meant to cut out the shape your rifle & use a softer foam which gives you more space will keep everything rigid & pressed down, can easily fit 2 AEGs, pistol & accessories.1 thing to note they are very long bulky cases, about 1.36 meters so they can be difficult to transport in small cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭thermo

protac in the curragh do the webtex long rifle bags. the m14's fit in them nicely.

they are designed to carry a R/S L96,and are well padded and hard wearing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

darman28 wrote: »
    Those mi3300 case have alot of space in them, I got rid of the hard centre foam where you are meant to cut out the shape your rifle & use a softer foam which gives you more space will keep everything rigid & pressed down, can easily fit 2 AEGs, pistol & accessories.1 thing to note they are very long bulky cases, about 1.36 meters so they can be difficult to transport in small cars.

The trick is to layer the foam - it comes in layered blocks anyway. If you don't use the hard foam, you will run into problems if using air travel or anywhere that might involve use of baggage handlers, such as ferry walk-on passengers, etc. You'll find that soft foam is rather sh*t at stopping AEGs or heavy objects sliding around.

I've seen one person use their sleeping bag as padding inside an IM3300 case, which worked for air travel, but you also need to consider the weight of the case + contents. The im3200 is about 7-8kg unloaded by itself; and the im3300 maybe around 9kg. Put in a couple of AEGs and you're up at 20kg (and if flying by air that's a very, very important number for a lot of airlines and your wallet). That's weight that you have to carry or otherwise lug around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I keep my other aegs in Strike arms padded gun bags but the M14 is too long for any of them and with the new scope fitted, is too wide for most gun bags. Plus, a few weeks back, some guy wearing a full back pack at a skirmish :confused::rolleyes: turned round in the safe area and knocked my gun bag, with M4 inside flying. If this happened to my M14, the new (and expensive) scope might have gotten cracked, which is why I want it locked up nice and snug in a padded gun case.

I'd forgotten how long this gun is until I picked her up yesterday following her repair. If I run out of bbs, I can always just poke someone with it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭jayod30

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I keep my other aegs in Strike arms padded gun bags but the M14 is too long for any of them and with the new scope fitted, is too wide for most gun bags. Plus, a few weeks back, some guy wearing a full back pack at a skirmish :confused::rolleyes: turned round in the safe area and knocked my gun bag, with M4 inside flying. If this happened to my M14, the new (and expensive) scope might have gotten cracked, which is why I want it locked up nice and snug in a padded gun case.

I'd forgotten how long this gun is until I picked her up yesterday following her repair. If I run out of bbs, I can always just poke someone with it!

Just been reading your thread and just thought of a case I have that might interest you. I used to have a Real Sword Dragunov SVD sniper rifle, an extremely long aeg. I've since sold the Dragunov but have the case I used to store it in, it's just lying under my bed with no use for it. It would most definitely store your M14, its huge. Here's a link to it
    http://www.shoot.ie/equipment/plano-pillarlock-double-gun-case.html
    @Mods, if you require me to post it in adverts section I can do, just thought I'd give Dave first refusal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Thanks Jay. That case is the type I was looking for but I went and bought one yesterday afternoon. I'm not even going to ask what you'd be looking for yours as I'm sure it would be less than what I paid yesterday:(

Advertisement