Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA players going abroad? GAA to AFL

• 11-04-2013 3:11pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 6

Interesting seeing players turn down the AFL, with the international rules series coming up wonder what the offical stats are for players there who are Irish and left GAA for the AFL, anyone any idea

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

dabossman wrote: »
    Interesting seeing players turn down the AFL, with the international rules series coming up wonder what the offical stats are for players there who are Irish and left GAA for the AFL, anyone any idea

Google is your friend for stuff like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VFL/AFL_players_born_outside_of_Australia
    There's actually far more English born players playing over there, I know the population is a lot bigger there.

Clareman wrote: »
    Google is your friend for stuff like this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_VFL/AFL_players_born_outside_of_Australia
    There's actually far more English born players playing over there, I know the population is a lot bigger there.

Different circumstances as well though.
    Those other lads would have lived there from a young age and got into the AFL by actually playing Aussie Rules.

There might come a day where we have a lad over there who's moved there because of his Aussie Rules skill set then having similar ones.
    There was a lad taken from Denmark recently who would have played with the Irish lads on the European team.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭68Murph68

Someone on the AFL forum probably knows more but the number is fairly tiny.

I saw a stat a while back that there has been a total of 37 Irish AFL players since 2002 and there is currently 6 players signed to clubs.

I think this included players who signed but didnt necessarily even play a "senior" game.

Not 100% though.

When you consider the average length of time players spend there its not as if its much of an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Different circumstances as well though.
    Those other lads would have lived there from a young age and got into the AFL by actually playing Aussie Rules.

There might come a day where we have a lad over there who's moved there because of his Aussie Rules skill set then having similar ones.
    There was a lad taken from Denmark recently who would have played with the Irish lads on the European team.

Yeah the European team had a good number from Ireland, similar from England and a bunch of Scandies if I remember correctly. Was a bit surprised at the Scandies being involved, seems a bit random.
    68Murph68 wrote: »
    Someone on the AFL forum probably knows more but the number is fairly tiny.

I saw a stat a while back that there has been a total of 37 Irish AFL players since 2002 and there is currently 6 players signed to clubs.

I think this included players who signed but didnt necessarily even play a "senior" game.

Not 100% though.

When you consider the average length of time players spend there its not as if its much of an issue.

As far as I recall the players over there at the minute are:

Zach Tuohy (Laois & Carlton)
    Pearse Hanley (Mayo & Brisbane Lions)
    Niall McKeever (Armagh & Brisbane Lions)
    Tommy Walsh (Kerry & Swans)
    Caolan Mooney (Down and Collingwood)
    Marty Clarke (Down and Collingwood)
    Setanta O'Halpin (Cork and North Melbourne)

Paul Cribben from Kildare is the latest player to come back home. He was playing for Collingwood as well but never got anywhere near the firsts as far as I know.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

keane2097 wrote: »
    Yeah the European team had a good number from Ireland, similar from England and a bunch of Scandies if I remember correctly. Was a bit surprised at the Scandies being involved, seems a bit random.

As far as I recall the players over there at the minute are:

Zach Tuohy (Laois & Carlton)
    Pearse Hanley (Mayo & Brisbane Lions)
    Niall McKeever (Armagh & Brisbane Lions)
    Tommy Walsh (Kerry & Swans)
    Caolan Mooney (Down and Collingwood)
    Marty Clarke (Down and Collingwood)
    Setanta O'Halpin (Cork and North Melbourne)

Paul Cribben from Kildare is the latest player to come back home. He was playing for Collingwood as well but never got anywhere near the firsts as far as I know.

yup, and Chrissy McKaigue left Sydney last year too without making an impression either. Cribbin got into a bit of bother in a late night incident that wouldnt have helped his case. All players above have played an AFL game, but Mooney will find it hard to crack on at Collingwood, despite his good showing in his debut last year.

this thread could probably be merged with the recent ludicrous compensation thread as it covers much the same topics. But as I said on that, the outrage and the exaggeration of players flocking abroad is just that. Players come back with life and physical experience, which will be a massive help for their resumption of GAA.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Big day for Louth's Ciaran 'Casey' Byrne who makes his AFL Senior debut for Carlton at 4am tomorrow morning (Irish time). Still only 20 he seems to be impressing the Carlton coaches with his workrate and attitude. Will line up alongside Laois's Zack Touhy. Ciaran Sheehan is at the club too but I think he's injured at the minute.

It's on ESPN if anybody's interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 146 ✭✭LiamNeeson

It hasn't always been the AFL, Dermot McNicholl of Derry played in the lower division in the early 90s as did Anthony Tohill.

Niall McKeever is from Antrim by the way, last time I had heard of him he had moved back here

Advertisement