Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Homeowner cautioned after theft

Comments

Shoulda kept the beating in his house instead of chasing, I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,138 ✭✭✭✭listermint

bluewolf wrote: »
    Shoulda kept the beating in his house instead of chasing, I suppose

Sounds like he caught him and there was beating in two directions. Just one came off the better.

Law on the criminals side ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

I'll echo one of the comments on that site
    It's only in Ireland where a newspaper could run two stories with one saying there is to be no charges against a man who stabbed another to death because he was trying to gatecrash a party and another where a man is cautioned by gardai and can end up in court for giving a thief a few well deserved slaps.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,602 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

I take it this didnt happen on his property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭HondaSami

He did chase after him and assaulted him, he may deserve it but still it's not right either. He had left the garden and the home owner was in no danger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

listermint wrote: »

Technically he chased a man into a public location and assaulted a man.

Next time he should drag him back into the house and shoot him. That way the law is on his side.

HondaSami wrote: »
    He did chase after him and assaulted him, he may deserve it but still it's not right either. He had left the garden and the home owner was in no danger.

Says he chased after and detained him and phoned the guards.

Doesnt say he assaulted him. You made that part up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

It's funny how biased that article is, it's like the homeowners brother wrote it.

Not that I disagree with what the man did.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I suppose,if you're going to travel,best to have a little extra diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,619 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Like the Pauric Nally case they are deemed to be posing no threat when fleeing.
    Having said that I would probably have done the same thing.
    I asked a garda about this some time ago and he told me that they only pose a threat that you can act on if they keep coming towards you. Then you can defend yourself.

• Advertisement

Seachmall wrote: »

Next time he should drag him back into the house and shoot him. That way the law is on his side.

Is detention of a criminal caught in the act assault ?

Id be interested to see the legislation on that.

If the criminal violently assaulted the accused here, then would he be at painds to defend himself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

He was doing the state a favour by helping to apprehend a criminal. He didn't assault him, there was an altercation, meaning there were slaps thrown on both sides

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

He would have been better off dragging the scumbag back to his property and beating him senseless there.

Says he chased after and detained him and phoned the guards.

Doesnt say he assaulted him. You made that part up.
    ''There was an altercation as he tried to escape and the homeowner gave as good as he got.

The Traveller was subsequently brought to St Luke’s Hospital, Kilkenny where he received eight stitches''.

Why did he need stitches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

F*ck this country. If he'd gone to court he'd have got a suspended sentence off Scott free and would have been back robbing someone else the next day.

It's sad when you have to advocate mob justic because you're country's justice system is completely and totally useless. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

The article reads like it was written by a 6 year old.

'They sped off giving the poor pony a number of belts of a stick as they pulled away.'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

sure its their culture :mad:

Defending himself?

Does it say anything about assault ?

Yep didnt think so. As i said you made that part up.

Article needs witnesses not pure speculation. from you or me.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

See how you feel about it when some scumbag empties your tank or ransacks your home and takes your valuables.

These people are a law unto themselves and this only goes to prove it when we have the "law" backing them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭Ranicand

Seachmall wrote: »

Shoot him beat him to a pulp with a baseball bat burn him get the defibrillator out get his heart going again and kill him again.:D

Being serious this scum was on a suspended sentence why?

The homeowner should have been given a medal not a caution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Is detention of a criminal caught in the act assault ?

I got held in the backroom of a nightclub before and when I asked the Gardaí about it they said it's perfectly legal to detain someone suspected of a crime.

Presumably there's a distinction somewhere, I was on the club's premises at the time so maybe that's it.

It's worth noting I didn't do anything wrong and was let go, it was a case of mistaken identity.

wilson10 wrote: »

These people are a law unto themselves and this only goes to prove it when we have the "law" backing them up.

I don't disagree with you but it's not just travellers who do this tbf. The law backing them up? you cannot just chase after someone and give them a beating or whatever happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I wonder how different this article would be if the culprit wasn't a traveler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Nobody's gonna comment on the fact that their getaway vehicle was a sulky?

In what world did they think that was in any way under the radar?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭gobnaitolunacy

I wonder how different this article would be if the culprit wasn't a traveler.

They'd have a proper getaway vehicle.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭markad1

He "fell" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

I defy anyone to get through that without cringing at the writing style.

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    He was doing the state a favour by helping to apprehend a criminal. He didn't assault him, there was an altercation, meaning there were slaps thrown on both sides

You would not consider slaps thrown as assault?

Defending himself?

Does it say anything about assault ?

Yep didnt think so. As i said you made that part up.

Article needs witnesses not pure speculation. from you or me.

I don't understand your aggression tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

While I'm on the homeowner's side in this one, the article is horribly written. 8 mentions of 'Traveller' and one of 'Travelling Community' in a short piece, compared to constant 'homeowner' and 'householder'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Ryu Hayabusa

Sums up whats wrong with this country when travelers get away with everything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

I hope this homeowner pays his property tax for the pleasure of sitting up at night watching scumbags steal his highly taxed home heating oil, then getting a warning for trying to apprehend one
    It's the patriotic thing to do..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Jarrod wrote: »
    The article reads like it was written by a 6 year old.

'They sped off giving the poor pony a number of belts of a stick as they pulled away.'

That's about the standard level of local journalism in Kilkenny i'm afraid. Just be thankful there wasn't an amusing anecdote about a dog drinking a pint of Guinness thrown in as well.
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

Sounds like he caught him and there was beating in two directions. Just one came off the better.

Which one, seems like they are both criminals according to the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 49,731 ✭✭✭✭coolhull

''He made an official complaint about the householder to the gardai who has never been in any kind of trouble in his life.''

''They sped off giving the poor pony a number of belts of a stick as they pulled away.''

Was this article written by a six-year old?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Should have killed the scum-dead man cant tell any tales.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭razorgil

vitani wrote: »
    While I'm on the homeowner's side in this one, the article is horribly written. 8 mentions of 'Traveller' and one of 'Travelling Community' in a short piece, compared to constant 'homeowner' and 'householder'.

dead right, call them what they are, "thief" and one of the "criminal fraternity"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I acually know most of the travellers around me
    I'm 6'2 18 stone and I train more days than I don't
    I'm a biker (old skool ) and I keep cool dogs ( I rescue then when people can't handle them )

Recently a traveler that was new enough to the area told me he bounce my head off that wall , I said no you won't and he said I know you won't let me

After that ( separately I'm a private person ) some older farmers came round to me ( I'm a local business) looking for hi ts and tips on how to fight dirty.

It's makes me sad that strong farmers that have grown old and their sons have emigrated need to go to the local "tough" looking business owner to ask advice

It makes me sadder that the lads that stil have a bit of strength get cautioned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Tigger wrote: »
    I acually know most of the travellers around me
    I'm 6'2 18 stone and I train more days than I don't
    I'm a biker (old skool ) and I keep cool dogs ( I rescue then when people can't handle them )

Recently a traveler that was new enough to the area told me he bounce my head off that wall , I said no you won't and he said I know you won't let me

After that ( separately I'm a private person ) some older farmers came round to me ( I'm a local business) looking for hi ts and tips on how to fight dirty.

It's makes me sad that strong farmers that have grown old and their sons have emigrated need to go to the local "tough" looking business owner to ask advice

It makes me sadder that the lads that stil have a bit of strength get cautioned

I really hope this is a písstake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

I really hope this is a písstake.
    which bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Just shows how little the traveller fears the law when he is happy to make a complaint and therefore identify himself as an oil thief. Filth like these two guys are tormenting people robbing them all the time. Why can't they get a decent long sentence for repeat offences?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I don't disagree with you but it's not just travellers who do this tbf. The law backing them up? you cannot just chase after someone and give them a beating or whatever happened.

Maybe he was chasing after them to apprehend them and then an altercation ensued. I think it is perfectly legitimate to try and apprehend someone that has committed a crime against you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

So if someone grabs your stuff and starts running you are to let them and not try to get you stuff back? Moral of the story, block their escape and then unblock for when the guards turn up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

If someone makes a conscious decision to enter a persons home then honestly I think alls fair in terms of self defence.

My political stance would be to the left (before im accused of being a fascist) but if someone takes the decision to enter what is supposed to be your sanctuary then they've changed the rules. I'm not advocating pointles extreme violence, and it's certainly needs to be proportionate (trespassers have weapons would require more force for self defence etc), but the law needs to be changed to reflect common sense and ensure protection for the victims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭Gorilla Rising

You would not consider slaps thrown as assault?

I don't understand your aggression tbh.

Maybe when you've been a victim of such crimes you will.

So what happened the traveller's in question? I take it they were prosecuted for burglary....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Call me juvenile, but my op

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Using a sulky when you are out robbing and may need to get away quickly

FAIL

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

Robbing people,sure it's part of their culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

It's a farcical case but Jesus that article is shockingly bad. ****ing hell, it's like some farmer telling you story over a Guinness in the pub; "giving the poor pony a number of belts of a stick". And why does he keep calling him 'the Traveller' or 'the traveller'? ****ing awful writing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

So lets see: theft, animal cruelty, resisting arrest, assault on the homeowner and wasting police time; all while out on bail. Anyone want to get what they'll get? More bail?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

So lets see: theft, animal cruelty, resisting arrest, assault on the homeowner and wasting police time; all while out on bail. Anyone want to get what they'll get? More bail?

Possibly a two month placement on a 'traditional basket-weaving skills' community initiative, at a cost of €40,000 to the taxpayer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement