Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropbox - Folder not visible in Dropbox online...

Options
  • 11-04-2013 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭

I've dragged a folder on my desktop to Dropbox.

It's definitely in it.

When I log in to Dropbox, I can't see that folder.

All the others are there.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

You have to wait for the sync / upload to complete. Is the dragged folder very large?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Khannie wrote: »
    You have to wait for the sync / upload to complete. Is the dragged folder very large?

It's 115Mb.

Is there a limit to how much I can put in the Dropbox?

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

There's a limit alright. I think the default is 2G.

115MB takes a long time to upload with most internet connections though. In the dropbox folder on your computer you'll probably see a "syncing" image beside the folder.

No sign of any syncing icon/image alas.

I'll give it another while.

Thanks.

D.

Edited: Just noticed that the default Photos folder (which I think installs with Dropbox) isn't in my online Dropbox view either.

Is there a way to make Dropbox freshly sync so that all the Desktop files are put online?

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

Is the actual Dropbox program open, with an icon in the taskbar? It needs to be open in order to sync your Dropbox folder to the server.

• Advertisement

maki wrote: »
    Is the actual Dropbox program open, with an icon in the taskbar? It needs to be open in order to sync your Dropbox folder to the server.

Ok. We could be close.........:rolleyes:

It's on my Desktop, but not in the Taskbar.

Silly me.

Thanks!

D.

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm still having a problem.

If I send something to the Dropbox, it appears next to the speaker icon in the bottom right hand corner as it's updating.

However, after a reboot, it's no longer there, as it is on my other computers. It disappears.

How can I make it appear there permanently?

I'm using Windows 8 and I've no problem with it on another Windows 8 machine.

Thanks.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭whizbang

right click on dropbox icon, Preferences, General, set the checkmark beside 'Start dropbox on system startup'

whizbang wrote: »
    right click on dropbox icon, Preferences, General, set the checkmark beside 'Start dropbox on system startup'

That was already ticked.

Could it have something to do with the visibility of icons in that bar? On my other computer, there is a show hidden icons arrow, but not on this one. But, maybe that's because there all visible?

Thanks for the reply.

D.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Run msconfig and see if selective startup is selected.

• Advertisement

SickBoy wrote: »
    Run msconfig and see if selective startup is selected.

Thanks for the reply.

1. Yes, Selective Startup is selected. Should I choose Normal Startup? For what it's worth, my other computer, which does show the Dropbox icon all the time, also has Selective Startup ticked.

2. If I right-click the Taskbar and choose Properties/Notification Area Customise, "Always show all icons and notifications on the taskbar" is ticked!

I'm baffled!

D.

Yeah, that's what's preventing the auto startup of Dropbox and other apps that are set to auto start.

Yeah, that's what's preventing the auto startup of Dropbox and other apps that are set to auto start.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't understand your point :o

My other computer's setup is identical in every way, and Dropbox appears every time.

One last thing, if I open System Config and tick Normal startup, Apply remains greyed out. I can't actually activate Normal Startup.

Thanks again.

D

Selective startup restricts the auto startup of applications from locations such as the "Startup" program folder or programs with options to "run on system startup" so you need to get that back to "Normal startup", if that is not an option then you're most likely looking at something that might be malware/virus related.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

Sounds like dropbox is failing to start. (may be timing out or something on startup but opens fine once the pc is usable).

Selective startup just means some of the items may have been unticked.

Try downloading dropbox again and reinstalling it.

Selective startup restricts the auto startup of applications from locations such as the "Startup" program folder or programs with options to "run on system startup" so you need to get that back to "Normal startup", if that is not an option then you're most likely looking at something that might be malware/virus related.

Thanks again.

As I mentioned above, Dropbox always appears on the other computer (also Windows 8) even though Selective Startup is selected.

Interestingly, on that computer also, if I try to select Normal Startup, Apply remains greyed out. I can't activate Normal Startup.

I think I'll uninstall and reinstall Dropbox on the problem computer and see what happens.

D.

Advertisement