Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Berkeley Frat Houses

Options
  • 11-04-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everybody :)

Myself and about 28 other girls are heading over to Berkeley this Summer on a J1. Just wondering has anyone been before and if ye stayed in a frat house how did ye get in contact with them? We don't mind splitting up as there is so many of us, even if 5 of us could live in the same frat house that'd be great!
    Would also be a great help if ye could remember how much it cost or a rough guess anyways!

Advice on jobs would also be appreciated :) xx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not being funny, but why would frat houses allow girls in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 amyb_123

silja wrote: »

Frats can be boys or girls, but they don't run during summer months, just rent out their dorms to international students..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

amyb_123 wrote: »
    Frats can be boys or girls

No, they're called "Sorority's" if they're for girls.

"Fraternity" is a male thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Hey OP,

I'm sure the best way to do it would be through their websites, if it can be done.

I've never heard of people doing this before and I'm surprised that it would happen. I know that a lot of fraternities and sororities are pretty tightly regulated and I'm surprised that they would allow their houses to be rented out during the summer months. For example, I know that they can be sanctioned pretty severely for what goes on in the houses, i.e. underage drinking, which is an issue for a lot of US college students with the legal age being 21 there. I'm not implying that's what you'll be up to but you can see how that could be a concern for them. In fact, many frat houses have a ban on alcohol altogether.

Do you know anyone who's done it before? I've just never heard of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Look at the bottom half of this site, it has some costs and options: http://summer.berkeley.edu/student-services/student-housing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Jarrod wrote: »
    Do you know anyone who's done it before? I've just never heard of it.

I've certainly heard of it. Although i thought it was more for "summer school", in other words for people who's primary reason is to study.

But I know very very little about american universities! I do know the Fraternity's and Sororities are usually National Organisations, so if it is possible the information should be readily available.

I dont think you would contact one individually for instance.

And is Berkeley really such a great place to be? A suburb of SF? I lived in the Bay area for years and only ever went there once...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

silja wrote: »

They do. They're not joining a fraternity, they're just renting the house rooms during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Cathyokw

Hey, so I was wondering if you could tell me how you got on with getting accommodation in a frat house? We're hoping to stay in one this year but i havent really been able to find out how to do so! Also if you did in fact spend your time in a frat house how much did it cost?
    Thanking you :)
    Cathy

• Registered Users Posts: 4 gooseyd

Hi Cathy,

Heading over there with a few lads for the summer. Did you find anything out about frat houses?

J

hey, no we havent heard anything back yet but i think thats pretty normal! i dont think they start replying till after spring break so last week in march!

• Advertisement

Ah I see. Haven't really looked into it yet only booked the flights this week. Have you looked into jobs?
    J

I've emailed a few places but if they reply they pretty much say the same thing and say drop in a cv once i get over there! so if you're heading over early enough you will have more luck i think

Ye I heard that alright i wont be over there until the 26th of may. when are yous heading over? By the sounds of it it seems best to leave everything until you get there and just start knocking on doors.

gooseyd wrote: »
    Ye I heard that alright i wont be over there until the 26th of may. when are yous heading over? By the sounds of it it seems best to leave everything until you get there and just start knocking on doors.

We won't be over till 4th June I think cause of exams! But yeah that seems to be most people's plans!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 bananananaman

hey there! I would be heading for Summer School in Berkeley too and would be there on the 28th May onwards. I'm looking to stay in a frat house too, but have no idea how to go about the search and application. Do drop me a note or something if you guys manage to find out about anything!

Cheers!

Advertisement